Asian Earthquake and Tsunami

MarcM

I continue to be shocked and saddened by the magnatude of this disaster. So many people will never be the same, but they are the lucky ones, as they are still alive. I know Songfacts has users world wide, and there is a very real possibility some of us may know people who have been personally effected by this event. I just wanted to give my condolences and a prayer.

This will be one of those history making events in which you will be asked, "Where where you when..."

I was nearly crying yesterday watching TV... My husband said that maybe I shouldn´t watch those scenes... I hope there is something somewhere which gives a little peace to all those who lost it all... Hope also those millions of people (I mean, those who are alive and will have to burry their dead ones, or begin it all again, or suffer) find some kind of jutice one day...

We can´t close our eyes on things happening far from us... it could have happened to you or me too... anyway, anyplace, anytime. As a matter of fact, we all had tragedies in our lives and we know how it feels... wish we could make them know we think about them...

God bless them and give them strenght.

I continue to be shocked by this catatrophic event.

When I think that the human toll is a completely filled to capacity superbowl stadium plus, with a third of them children! Tens of thousands left wondering homeless alone and confused and the whole area succeptible to disease from contaminated water.

If ever there was a reason to pray from a huge group of people, this has got to be it!

God bless them all!!!

I've read it in the paper, but made it a point to not watch the news. I just can't handle things like that.

That´s what I also do, Jr. I wish I could help, but I guess I can´t... so I´ll try to be nice and love those who are near me, that´s all I can do...

This is a staggering disaster. I thought it would be like the World Trade Center attacks when they predicted the death toll around 10,000, but it turned out to be much lower. For this, it keeps rising and seems to be getting worse. I'm having trouble putting those kinds of numbers in perspective.

This is a good chance for the US government to do the right thing and use our vast resources to help out. I'm sure many people will give to the Red Cross and find other ways to contribute.

This disaster has been horrible. We can only imagine something of that magnitude. What it has done to those people.

Here where I live we suffered through the great flood of 93, considered a 500 year flood when the Mississippi and Missouri rivers flooded out entire communities.. I saw entire houses washed away, homes that normally were no where near the river. I saw what the power of Mother Nature can do. But I just cannot fathom the destruction and devastation that these poor people are dealing with. I wish them all the best in this situation. What a way to begin a new year. I hope it does not get much worse, before it begins to get better.

my cousin is in india at the moment and until yesterday she was uncontactable and we had no idea where she was. so frightening. we figured she was pretty safe since she rang from goa on christmas eve but we couldn't know for sure until she finally rang herself yesterday morning. she didn't even realise until then how serious it all was because she hadn't seen a paper or the news. thank god she's ok. my thoughts and sympathies are with all those families who haven't been so lucky.

Makes me wonder where is god looking at in these moments. My husband is catholic and says that has nothing to do with god... :stars:

SoulSis, good you had news from your cousin... there are hundreds of people missing, thousands... tourists from many countries... people from there... :stars:

It's so sad, they've actually given up counting how many people have died because there are so many. So far, Britain has pledged the most money to it (£50 million) and im glad to say i have contributed. Apparently the extent of the damage is over £2billion. it's devastating how many lives have been ruined. :(

• 2 weeks later...

It's a terrible tragedy.

Two of my work colleagues where in Sri Lanka, and got swept through several buildings, managed to escape onto a mountain, and spent 2 days/2 nights in the jungle waiting to be rescued. They're back safely now.

Another friend was travelling in Thailand and was awoken by the owner telling her to follow him up the mountain. She's stayed on to help out.

And it could have been less serious... If only people had known that when the wave goes back it means no good... there was a 10 years old british girl who knew it, she heard it in class, and she saved many people by telling them to run.

I don't think many people think of things like that even if they know it already. It's difficult to apply something like that to when you're on the beach at Christmas relaxing.

I know the warning signs of a tsunami, but I don't know if you could count on me to save anyone by immediately recognising them in reality!

Well, guess you´re right... you don´t think about disasters when you´re relaxing under the sun... but the people in India got all the flood half an hour after the tsunami in the islands, the authorities could have warned them... they knew about it...

Well, guess you´re right... you don´t think about disasters when you´re relaxing under the sun... but the people in India got all the flood half an hour after the tsunami in the islands, the authorities could have warned them... they knew about it...

I definetly agree with tha statement edna

The Australian government has donated $1 billion towards the victims of the tsunami disaster.

I think the fact that this devastation happened so close to my country has really hit home.

WAVE AID is a concert that is being organised to help benefit tsunami ravaged areas and will feature top Australian artists such as Powderfinger, Kasey Chambers, Missy Higgins, silverchair, Midnight Oil and the John Butler Trio among others.