What's so great about The Wall

ListenToBlackSabbath

Good question...here's my take: I have been a Floyd-head for more years than I care to disclose. I saw PF perform The Wall in LA in 1980 and I've seen them 4 other times as well. When The Wall was released in late '79 it got a lot of radio play, especially "Another Brick In the Wall III" which had a real hook that was perfectly suited for popular radio around the world. It was played to death - and for a lot of people it was their first prolonged exposure to the band. Many people, when they first discover a band, gravitate to their music that is current at the time and will always believe that it's their best work. I was hooked when DSOTM was current and I believe it (along with the subsequent two LP's, I can never decide!) are the finest PF has ever produced. The Wall is an excellent album, but IMO it may have been top notch if it were a single LP instead of a double. Thoughts???

To tell you the truth I never got "Animals".

Here is my take on The Wall, you have to see the album as a "whole" and all the songs as chapters in a book(you can't judge a book by one chapter in it.)

And yes some of the songs have been overplayed, so the album loses it "touch".

Anyways hope that all makes some sense....

Some of my thoughts have already been mentioned above. I think is a mix of radio playability and the flow of songs. Also, different people can relate in one way or another to certain parts of the whole concept. Oh, and I do think is pretty epic :: and from In The Flesh? to Outside The Wall, well, it's quite the ride. Best Floyd album? I don't think it is, but it belongs among the greatests in history, not to mention it inspired a great movie too, which explores deeper into the concept of the wall.

Or could it be the ammount of merchandise that conviences people of it greatness? He, just kiding :P

B000006TRV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"I am just a new boy,

A stranger in this town.

Where are all the good times?

Who's gonna show this stranger around?

Oooooooh, I need a dirty woman.

Oooooooh, I need a dirty girl.

Will some cold woman in this desert land

Make me feel like a real man?

Take this rock and roll refugee

Ooh, baby set me free.

Oooooooh, I need a dirty woman.

Oooooooh, I need a dirty girl."

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I may as well chime in on this. But first, let me preface this by saying i'm merely a passive PF fan. I own The Wall, DSoTM,and Wish You Were Here. All that other stuff is too weird for me.

However, the three I own , i know note for note, and they all have their own distinct merits. To say one is better than the other, well, is just as subjective as when asked who the best guitarist in the world is. You're never going to get a definitive answer. It's a matter of opinion.

Personally, I lean towards the Wall, simply for the overall concept. It tells a wonderfully tragic story. The movie only serves to enhance the album.

However, my favorite single song by PF, is, and always has been, Time. The sheer desperation and realization of the uselessness of one's life makes it, IMO, one of the best songs of all time. (no pun intended)

Anyway, that, like all the other posts, is just my opinion.

I'm beginning to suspect a parallel universe. I could've written JR's piece on The Wall as I too own those three albums.....

Could it be that JR and I are really alter-egos of the same person, one American, large and bearded, and one English, trim and devilishly handsome? Could he be the brother I never knew, who was cast adrift into the Atlantic as a baby due to his profusion of whiskers and liking for checkered romper suits and John Deere noddy caps?

Could it be I am not wanting to work and typing any old toss to avoid knuckling down?

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

well, for starters also it's more accessible than the other albums and it appeals to p****d off kids - the other albums are more subtle so don't have the same kind of popular appeal. well that's what i think anyway. still, i like it - i'd like a copy actually so if any of you don't like it and want to sell it, LMK! ;)