What rock band had or has the best vocals?

dockwats

Some time ago some of my college friends and I had an in depth argument over what band has the best vocals of all time. One of them thought the Beach Boys, hands down, due to their smooth and relaxed Calfornian harmonics. I thought I heard just simple melodic sounds though :) Anyway, I really think the answer to this one has to be Freddie Mercury and his awesome band Queen. Put together it really seems these guys did have a great vocal output. Who in your opinion should top this list...remember any band, any time period?

What's funny, Cosmo, is when I was growing up in the 70's, I didn't pay much attention to harmony like I did the instrumentation.

Older now, I realize that what makes a band great is not so much the music as the band's harmony together.

Eagles certainly had that going for them.

Another band that executed perfect harmony was Boston.

Some dual harmonies that I adore:

Jagger/Richards

Daltry/Townsend

Tyler/Perry

Becker/Fagan

List goes on and on...

playin' solitaire 'til dawn with a deck of 51

One of the saddest lyrics in the history of rock-n-roll.

I love it. ::

Glenn Frey and Don Henley are one of the better pairs.

You can't go wrong with John Lennon and Paul McCartney and even throw George Harrison into that mix.

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young always sound good together.

And you also have Paul Rodgers, Burton Cummings, Jim Morrison, the singer from Shinedown (who did a phenomenal remake of Skynyrd's Simple Man), I also like Eddie Vedder and Sting. I'm sure there are other great vocals out there (as much as I like Skynyrd, the Van Zant brothers are not the best vocals, but they are perfect for Southern Rock).

• 2 weeks later...

To answer this, wouldn't you have to look at a Band's lead singer and ask "if he/she left, could the Band continue just as successfully with a replacement?".

Queen have never been able to replace Freddie Mercury.

Also, Chicago after Peter Cetera left, although they did have 2 good albums without him.

Even though I think "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" is the Greatest Song of the Rock Era, I wouldn't class the Righteous Brothers as a Rock Band, rather a vocal duo. I agree that both Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield had unique voices, and neither one made it as a solo artist.