The meaning of "Dust My Broom"

ImThatGuyToo

here's songfacts

I Believe I'll Dust My Broom

by Robert Johnson

recording of 1st of 5 sessions, November 23 1936, San Antonio, Texas

from The Complete Recordings (CBS 467246 2 & Columbia/Legacy C2K-46222 & Columbia 4622 & Sony 64916), copyright notice

I'm goin' get up in the mornin', I believe I'll dust my broom

Girlfriend, the black man you been lovin', girlfriend, can get my room

I'm gon' write a letter, telephone every town I know

I'm gon' write a letter, telephone every town I know

If I can't find her in West Helena, she must be in East Monroe I know

I don't want no woman, wants every downtown man she meet

I don't want no woman, wants every downtown man she meet

She's a no good doney, they shouldn't allow her on the street

I believe, I believe I'll go back home

I believe, I believe I'll go back home

You can mistreat me here, babe, but you can't when I go home

And I'm gettin' up in the mornin', I believe I'll dust my broom

I'm gettin' up in the mornin', I believe I'll dust my broom

I'm gonna call up Chiney, see is my good girl over there

I'm gonna call up China, see is my good girl over there

'F I can't find her on Philippine's island, she must be in Ethiopia somewhere

Note 1: both West Helena and East Monroe are in Arkansas, some 30 miles apart.

I found this at Harry's site

1 - probably: (getting ready to ) leave. "T-man" Tilman Michalke concurs and says: I guess Mr. Johnson is cleaning his room because he is about to move out. There might also be a sexual connotation. Thanks to "T-man" Tilman Michalke for this contribution to the list;

Melissa Fazzina wrote: I was listening to Elmore James the other day and Dust My Broom never seemed to make any sense to me, but I had one of those sudden epiphanies....: it hit me that what he's talking about is probably (IMHO), breaking up with his current girlfriend. So that "Dust my broom." maybe synonymous with "Shaking her off" or "shaking loose from her. If you listen to the other words, "I'm quittin' the best gal I'm lovin'. Now my friends can get in my room". Or "I'm gonna write her a letter" (a "dear Jane letter"). Then in the next verse, he's listing her short comings (why he'd want to cut her loose), and in the final verse, coming right out and saying he's going to leave. Thanks to Melissa Fazinni for this contribution to the list

This phrase can be found in:

Elmore James, Dust My Broom, Robert Johnson, I Believe I'll Dust My Broom

Thanks for your help! I feel like I put out the call for blues help and you came swiftly to my rescue, cape flapping in the wind. I like the idea of it meaning breaking up with his current girlfriend, what she was saying made sense. It's a great song no matter what. As long as you're here, now that I've heard and gotten to love Robert Johnson, who's next?

I like the idea of it meaning breaking up with his girlfriend...

This is what I get when I dust my broom, a clean broom with no left-over residue.

That man's serious about what he says, he's kickin' every last little bit of dust and leaving it all behind him. He hates that girl so much now that he's even leaving the bed for her to mess around on.

Complete closure with no chance of reconciliation.

Some never dust their brooms, just sweep the same mess, over and over again. Michael Douglas had a very hard time dusting his broom in Fatal Attraction.

::

One thing I've always found important when interpreting music, it really doesn't have to translate to the artist's original idea. It should be free to interpret however the individual listener feels because that, in the end, is what truly matters.

A great song is universal in it's meaning but not always in it's understanding. Some of the greatest songs have no intended meaning other than an insolvable riddle for the listener.

I truly think it's the music first, lyrics second.

Poets hate me and insomnia makes me tired.

::