Thoughts on the Blues

_jr_

As most of you know, I recently ordered a couple of cds, (I made enough noise about it), and I've been listening to them for a few days now.

I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed with the SRV Live at Carnagie Hall. The sound quality isn't very good. It's kind of fuzzy, and some of the levels are too high, and the bass is almost non-exsistent. I messed around with the levels on my stereo, and got it sounding listenable, but over all, I feel a bit ripped off.

The other one, though, Albert King/SRV Session is a work of art. I'm very, very happy with it. Just the two of them, (with a keyboard,drums and bass, of course) sitting in a studio with a couple of mikes, just feeling it. Man, it's good stuff.

I've always been a fan of Stevie, but I've only recently started exploring around with the blues. Elmore James, Sonny Boy Williamson, T-Bone, Wild Bill Davis...I'm just discovering these guys.

It's like I've tapped into a vein in the mountain of music.

And really, I've only done it out of boredom with my music collection. I've listened to it all, a million times. It's just beat. So, bluesboy sent me some music, and I've got to tell you folks, I can't give the guy enough credit. He's like Moses parting the Red Sea for me. Thanks Bluesey :thumbsup:

When I got here, I thought I knew alot about music, but what i've discovered is, I know next to nothing about music appreciation. I've dicovered so many other flavors in this Baskin Robbins of music.My musical taste buds are doing backflips these days.

Anyway, I feel pretty good these days, knowing I've got some "new" music to listen to, even if most of it is older than me.

What's more exciting is the fact that I know there's a whole lot more mining to do.

End of rambling random music thought.

You're Welcome Jr,

Rhino (scroll down to All Titles) puts out an excellent blues series(remember Rhino seems to have the best compilation and an extensive artists library Because they take the time to get the licensing of copyrights).

for example - Instead of Rod Stewart the Mercury years /

you'd get Rod Complete 1968 - 1973.

Here's more from one of their series

Harmonica Classics

:shades:

Then try Chess Records - stable of stars

jr if bluesy has turned you onto the blues good for him!! Granted Stevie is semi-blues(but modern)but there is so much more out there. Listen to Jimmy Reed. That's old. But good. And bluesy you are right, Rhino does put out some great stuff. I've got Harmonica Classics, Singin the Blues, and several others. Listen to some classic Janis. Not the rock stuff. Summertime, Little Girl Blue, Turtle Blues. You'd never believe how that white girl sings the blues. Pick up some Etta James. The Queen of blues. I have to echo Ron above, Buddy Guy is a master. Howlin Wolf(though I think he's dead, so many are), Taj Mahal, Bo Diddley.

I'm glad you've discovered what I've known for sometime. Some of this music is the roots of the classic stuff we discuss all the time!!! ::

There's a blues concert movie out you'd love to see..it's called "Lightening In A Bottle". Directed by Antoine Fuqua, music by Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, James "Blood" Ulmer, Hubert Sumlin, John Hammond, Bonnie Raitt, John Fogerty, Chuck D., David "Honeyboy" Edwards, Ruth Brown, Odetta and others. Check it out here...

Lightening In A Bottle

Junior, you're going through exactly what I went through about 12 years ago....it's a wonderful eye opener. Buddy Guy and the rest of those mentioned are all excellent and have made their respected marks on rock music. Some continue to put out great music. Another name I might add would be Albert Collins, pick up COLD SNAP from around 1986, also give as much listen as you can to Freddie King, many a guitar legend has cited Mr. King as a major influence. I also like a lot of the youngsters (at the time) from Great Britain who were blown away by American blues: Peter Green with Fleetwood Mac, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, and many more...ask Bluesboy. There are also many current American "White Boys" doing some amazing fretwork, like Chris Duarte, Walter Trout, Smokin' Joe Kubek, Eric Johnson, and of course Johnny Winter. Check out Little Charlie and the Nightcats too. There are so many...you will have a great time discovering all the blues has to offer. Oh yeah, listen to a blues channel on satellite radio if you can, that's the best way to discover what you like...Oh man, this is my longest post ever...sorry!! I could go on forever.... have fun!

You know, Jayson, I had the same thought today. I'd always thought SRV was the epitome of blues. But that was only because he's all I'd ever listened to, blues wise. i now know, that's not true. He's more rock than blues, with more blues influence in his rock.

Doesn't change my opinion of him, thought. SRV will always be the best , to me.

Oh yes, me too! I like to hear the different takes they have. Or similar. I'm into harmonica bigtime, that really gets me down deep.

You like Jimmy Reed bluesy? It's old, different, but man can that man play, guitar and harmonica. You don't hear him mentioned much, he's not much of a rocker, more smooth.

Please listen to Buddy Guy...even better go see him play ... Happily he is being inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of Fame.

The only blues I really listen to is the rock/blues mix

Buddy Guy mixes it up real good.

jr, check out Remembering Stevie (a tribute to your man) on Buddy's "Damn Right, I've Got The Blues" CD (1991).

Buddy's straighter blues like There Is Something On Your Mind complement rockers like his incredible version of Mustang Sally. He plays songs from Willie Dixon and John Hiatt, and he's joined by Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler, and even Clapton on some of the tracks.

While looking for information about the late great Freddie (Freddy) King, I encountered this The Essential Blues Album List.

It was compiled "in response to requests from listeners to ... Blues from the Red Rooster Lounge radio show". According to the Rooster: "Narrowing this list down to a workable number was quite a task, and we've decided (for now, at least) to pass over such first-rate modern blues revivalists as Mike Bloomfield, Paul Butterfield, Johnny Winter, Bonnie Raitt, John Mayall, Robert Cray, Eric Clapton, Roy Buchanan, etc., in favor of the musicians who influenced them".

Incidentally, Freddy King made the list of 'A Dozen Essential Guitarists'.

I was raised on blues music as well, and it's probably my favorite genre. These guys have mentioned some pretty great artists, but also try Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters. :bow:

Have you listened to Lonnie Mack's "Strike Like Lightning?" Stevie Ray himself co-produced and played on the album, so you've probably heard of it.

For newer artists, try Susan Tedeschi, Indigenous and Los Lonely Boys - LLB is heavily influenced by SRV, among others (they're also a trio). One of their songs "Crazy Dream" just drips Stevie Ray.

Have fun! ::

There you go... you got it. Stevie plays the blues well. He wasn't strictly a blues artist in the real sense of the word. You need to go deeper for true blues. My opinion only. ;)

I agree with Windy, somewhat. I do consider Stevie a blues artist first, it's a version of contemporary blues, maybe even can be considered "rockin' blues" in many songs. But it's still blues, IMO. Like all contemporary blues artists he was influenced by the traditional, or Delta blues style of Johnson, Waters, both Kings, Howlin' Wolf, and others. Blues music, like anything else, changes over the years. That just makes for a greater variety for all of us to experience! Some people consider traditional blues to be the only "true" blues - and that's fine with me...I have plenty of it in my collection...but there are many other blues styles that I consider to be true to the form. My opinion only....peace all. :shades:

I am thinking back on some shows I've seen. I was fortunate enough to see Muddy Waters with Johnny winter in NYC. I've seen BB King and Buddy Guy many times. I saw something on TV once that I have never been able to find since...Buddy Guy playing The Beatles "Yer Blues". Sound familiar to anyone?

I used to go see Roy Buchanan every year until he hung himself..that's the blues huh!!

Hey, I just want to thanks everyone for their help. I've been downloading like a mad man. i'm getting about 1/2 dozen of each artist, to get a taste. Sampling the wares. The early front runner is Elmore James. I'm loving him. I have to say, though, I'm not crazy about the Howlin Wolf stuff. I think it's the vocals aren't sitting right with me.

Anyway, thank you, Songfactors. Thank thank you thank you. New Music! Yay for me! :rockon: