Wrestling, anyone?

golden_ann

Well, who are fans here? And is it Smackdown or Raw?I think Raw has the most explosive action, although I watch Smackdown more frequently. And favorites: [*]Coolest: Has to be Edge! The long, leather coat is very happening. [*]Scariest: The Dead Man! The Undertaker rules. [*]Most mentally disturbed: That Hidenreich(sp) dude! [*]Most cliche': Jon Sena. Word life my hiney. [*]Most delusional: JBL. How could he not know that he really sucks? [*]Person that knows he sucks and doesn't care: Kurt Angle [*]Coolest entrance music: Booker T [*]Give it up already: Ric Flair [*]Funniest: Eddie Gueraro [*]Dumbest: Triple H [*]Most underrated: Funaki...LOL [*]Best back and forth banter: Michael Cole and Taz. I think their "arguments" are hilarious! [*]Best looking: Ummmm...have to get back to ya on that one.

When I were a lad we had proper wrestling on t'telly. World of Sport, Saturday afternoon, Dickie Davis, Giant Haystacks, Mick McManus, grannies waving handbags.... None of this theatrical, s&m steroid and makeup nonsense you see nowadays, just good honest fat men in ill fitting suits and a hot, sweaty ring. Magic.

Regards

He looks like a vintage monster, coming to get me. ohnoes.gif

I remember putting an Aurora Mummy model together when I was a kid that had the exact same pose. I took the painted model to school, friends and I got a little carried away with it as the teacher was conducting class. She warned us to stop and be quiet but we just wouldn't listen. So, she grabs the model, takes it outside to the large steel trash can and throws it w/all her might, cracking it into many dismembered pieces when it hit the bottom. We couldn't see it happen but we all heard it crash. She came back into the room and you could cut the silence w/a butter knife.

Teachers didn't take no crap back then and could beat the WWF wrestlers of today.

biggrinbounce2.gif

Jose Estrada. Him and Johnny Rodz got beat every saturday. And S. D. Jones. :laughing: :laughing:

S.D. "Special Delivery" Jooooooooones :rockon: :rockon:

I once went to a match and wore a paper mask like that of Kamala "The Ugandan Giant". Hey, cut me some slack; I was about 16 and I was high. Anyway, I think Kamala was disqualified for trying to eat his opponent during the match. :laughing:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon:

I have not seen any mention of two of the greatest wrestlers of the mid 60's to early seventies....Pedro Morales and Bruno Sammartino.

Jr...I also loved Mil Mascaras when I was a kid. He was amazing with his tumbles and cartwheels.

Honorable mentions:

Ernie "The Big Cat" Ladd

Dick "The Bulldog" Brower

Johnny Powers

I have not seen any mention of two of the greatest wrestlers of the mid 60's to early seventies....Pedro Morales and Bruno Sammartino.

Jr...I also loved Mil Mascaras when I was a kid. He was amazing with his tumbles and cartwheels.

Honorable mentions:

Ernie "The Big Cat" Ladd

Dick "The Bulldog" Brower

Johnny Powers

I never really care for Bruno Sammartino, what with his "wrestling" and all. But I would like to give Honorable Mention to the following:

Rowdy Roddy Piper

Ivan Koloff

Ivan "Polish Power" Putski

Paul "Mr. Wonderful" Orndorff

Abdullah the Butcher

and last but not least....Spirooooooos Aaaaaarioooonnnn!!

I think it was Spiros Arion who lost his trunks nearly every single match in which he wrestled. Boy, did he suck!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :jester: :jester:

Road Warriors were awful good now that I think about it. Ah, what a rush!!!

Jake the snake. He was just downright mean. Kinda like Black Jack Mulligan and the Kentuckian.

Speaking of acrobatic, Argentino Apollo had some good moves in his bare feet.

How 'bout Thunderbolt Patterson? I loved the way he'd shimmy his way out of a headlock.

Never really much of a fan, but I watched a bit from time to time. Anyone recall Jimmy "The Super-Fly" Snooka ? ::

What does seem surprising is that most of these guys could turn off their characters outside of the ring and were often gentle giants and pretty decent guys -- unlike many NBA stars these days ! Oh, Kobe, and others .... :thumbsdown:

Does anybody remember the Von Eriks? It was Fritz, the dad, David, Kerry, Kevin and Chris. And all the boys are dead now but Kevin I think. If you believe in curses, this is what was supposed to have happened to the family. It was strange stuff to have happen just one after the other like that...very eerie.

I remember The Superfly.

I wasn't what one considers a fan either but did enjoy the antics of the different personalities of wrestling in the 70's.

What about "Chief" Wahoo (chop) Mcdaniels, Baron (de claw) Von Raska or the effeminate, silken clad Royal Kangaroos?

I remember when they lost to a tag-team that stripped 'em down to their skivvies. Forget the name of the tag-team though.

::