Anyone remember the group Kraftwerk?

Do you remember the group Kraftwerk, and the Album titled "Autobaun"? I remember it came out in the early 80's, but don't know what the band members names were, or where they went to from there? I think they only did two albums:) Can anyone remember more about this group from Germany?

Excellent two man band! They have a total of I believe 8 CDs with their eighth being a best of.

They were the founders of "Robot Pop"

I have the best of them titled Kraftwerk:The Mix.

I love it.

BTW, I would like to thank the people that took the time to rate my posts. It is very much appreciated and I will continue to try and be a helpful member here.

Kraftwerk (literally 'Power Plant') were actually formed in the late 60s by classically trained musicians Florian Schneider and Ralf Hutter. Later joined by Messrs Flur and Bartos, their trademark sound became minimalist machine music created using primitive synthesizers, drum machines and tape recorders. They rose to fame on the back of their 1974 album 'Autobahn' with it's epic 22-minute title track attempting to recreate the tedium of a long car journey.

Kraftwerk won a new lease of life, and an army of new fans, when Afrika Bambaataa incorporated their songs 'Trans Europe Express' and 'Numbers' into his hip-hop classic 'Planet Rock'.

They're still going strong today. I had the pleasure of seeing them only last week in London. Four middle-aged, expressionless automatons, dressed identically, stood in a row in front of lap-tops, belting out quality electro-pop. Long live the robots.

Minky, "Autobaun" came out in 74? I did'nt realize this! Thought it to be later than that, but as I think back it makes sense to me now. You may know how the years get away, and your memory fades. Thank you also, MusikThyme for your information. I did'nt realize they had put out so many albums/CD's.

Although I am traditionally a pure classic rock fan, I can appreciate something new and inovative.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks, CHAFF

You know there is something unique about pure music lovers: it does'nt matter what the music genre, if it is good you love it!

Thanks for viewing, and posting is even better. CHAFF :coolio:

You know there is something unique about pure music lovers: it does'nt matter what the music genre, if it is good you love it!

I completly agree! As far as I'm concerned, the only way you should split music you listen to from music you don't is whether it's good or bad, and that's entirely subjective. I think it's stupid to not listen to a genre of music because it's pop or whatever. Also, genre is a completly artificial concept anyway, I think it's more for journalists and market researchers to make their jobs easier.

As for Kraftwerk, they are great. Yes, believe it or not, they are still around. They have a new song out called Aerodynamik which is fantastic.

ConFusion, I completely agree, however, how do we quickly identify what lattitude we are crossing into without some bearings on direction? It is true that people completely exclude from their listening songs they would probably find very appealing simply because of the "genre" thing. I actually like music from all over the spectrum; none excluded!

Thanks, CHAFF

Yeah, that's a good point against the argument. Someone else said it actually, using an analogy of going into the supermarket to buy a can of beans- you know what you are buying because of what it says on the tin. Bit of a weird analogy really.

It's a basic human psychological need to label and pigeon-hole things to make sense of them, otherwise it's too confusing. So in some ways we need to have genres so we know basicly what we like, so there is a useful purpose for it, but I just don't think it should be taken too seriously. I don't exclude either, but obviously there will be certain styles I like over others.

ConFusion, your going to actually make an anology of my argument? Comparing it to a can of beans? Were they good beans? You know; the more you ...?

• 4 weeks later...