where did group DEVO get their name?

Good question. I always liked the originality of Devo. I particularly like the song:

It's a Beautiful World

They got their name from the concept of de-evolution. The theory instead of man evolving he actually is digressing from the very technology that supposedly makes life easier.

Yeah, they have some really interesting ideas....Carl interviewed both Jerry Casale and Mark Mothersbaugh, who founded Devo. There are great quotes from them in the Songfacts for Whip It. There's a lot of interesting info there and about halfway down (approx. the 7th Songfact) they start talking about their name and the idea behind it. Great stuff! :)

Great stuff indeed Sarah.

I was reading some info on Beautiful World and learned that Jerry Casale tried to imitate Wall of Voodoo's Stan Ridgway's Mexican Radio vocal sounds. I've always thought that Beautiful World was their best song and thought it kind of funny how the vocals sounded different than their other songs.

Until now I never put the 2 and 2 together but now it makes perfect sense! It does sound remarkably a lot like Stan's unmistakable "Mexican Radio" sound.

Thanks again songfacts.

Carl come out and play! Lets here about the inteview that

Sara is refering?

I thank all for participating. A very enlightening response! Keep it coming.

Sincerely, CHAFF!