Who played videos before MTV?

Carl

We recently spoke with Carmine Appice, who played with Rod Stewart for several years and helped write "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" and "Young Turks." They cranked out a lot of videos in the '70s, so when MTV went on the air, about 20% of their library was Rod Stewart videos. I was trying to figure out who played their videos before MTV, and Carmine said they got a lot of play in Europe and Australia, but there were also some video shows in the US.

Does anyone remember the names of these video shows? One of them might be "Midnight" something.

I remember something like that. Not Midnight Special, or Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, either. It was either called Midnight, After Midnight, Around Midnight. Something like that. It's going to drive me crazy now. Thanks alot Carl.

Wasn't there one called Rockline? Or maybe it was Rock Show...I seem to remember a theme song at the beginning with the wrods rock show in it.

Blast you Carl!

Sorry to take this off in a another direction, but...does anyone remember a show back in the early to mid 70's that aired around 1 AM Fri nite/Sat morn Eastern (immediately following Midnight Special I think) hosted by a fellow named Chip Monk (may have been Munk)? I think the show may have simply been titled Chip Monk.

Chip was either a radio personality or TV music commentator out of LA, Calif. He was extremely knowledgeable about the music and the insdustry. He featured musical guests who would discuss their music/careers and then perform live. He had a very eclectic rock guest list. Many performers were on his show before they acheived national recognition. And their live performances were often awesome. I think it's because it was such a relaxed atmosphere.

Some perfomers I especially remember were John McLauglin (Mahavishnu Orchestra fame), Alvin Lee, Billy Joel, Carly Simon, Janis Joplin and many, many more.

Anyone recall? BluesBoy????

I agree, all those tv shows were great!

here's more.

rock visually had programs like;

American Bandstand

Soul Train

Hullabaloo

etc.

Also, Rock Documentaries -

Don't Look Back - D.A. Pennebaker's

groundbreaking(for the time, mid 60s)

camera tag along look at Bob Dylan

+

The Beatles Movies

Monterey Pop

Gimme Shelter

Woodstock

I was trying to figure out who played their videos before MTV, and Carmine said they got a lot of play in Europe and Australia

Hi Carl. In Australia we had a TV show called "Countdown" which featured a mix of the very latest music videos and Australian and Overseas artists appearing live (but usually miming) to their records. It was a fantastic show, hosted by Ian "Molly" Meldrum. It ran from 1974 to 1987. The best clip ever, for it's time - 1976, was Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

I agree, all those tv shows were great!

here's more.

rock visually had programs like;

American Bandstand

Soul Train

Hullabaloo

etc.

Also, Rock Documentaries -

Don't Look Back - D.A. Pennebaker's

groundbreaking(for the time, mid 60s)

camera tag along look at Bob Dylan

+

The Beatles Movies

Monterey Pop

Gimme Shelter

Woodstock

BB has always the right word... :thumbsup:

I have seen many 60´s bands playing for the German, French and British TV shows... which names I can´t remember now... but I can look in my papers back home and see if I find some interesting info. They used to send me lists of bands and timings and all that stuff when I worked in the Spanish TV, making music programs with TV material...

• 2 weeks later...

This goes waaaayyyy back...sorry Mr Peabody..but KHJ TV in LA played what is arguably the first music video show...late 1966 Last Train to CLarkesville by the Monkees can be listed at the first "commercial" video, excluding Beatle clips from the films that were'nt really produced as promotional tools as the Colgems Monkees track was. Sorry, the name of the show escapes me, but it was something "Boss" or of that mid-decade phrase ilk.

Rock On..

Ken. ::

Night Flight aired on WTBS out of Atlanta, which was a "superstation" because it was syndicated to local cable outlets across the country.

But if you want to go way back, in the '60's and '70's, bands would make promotional videos to send to talk shows in lieu of actually appearing on these shows. The Beatles did it with Strawberry Fields Forever and a few other songs. The Monkees clip mentioned would be another example.

But really, making a promotional video for a song is much older than that. Cab Calloway, Louis Jordan and others made short films of "performances" (often lip synched) to be shown before the feature film in movie houses.

Or so I'm told. Really all of this was before I was born. Really....

i remember a program called "friday night videos" coming on in the early '80s. it was, obviously, friday nights at 11:30 or so. it was just before MTV, and there was no host or "VJ" personality, just videos. of course, at that time, there were very few so you basically saw the same ones week after week, but i faithfully watched it.