"Dimebag" Darrell killed in Ohio concert shooting

Ken

From mtv.com

Dimebag Darrell, guitarist for Damageplan and Pantera, was killed during a shooting spree at a Columbus, Ohio, nightclub Wednesday night. He was 38.

Darrell, real name Darrell Abbott, was among the five dead in the incident, including the

as-yet-unnamed shooter and two fans, Nathan Bray and Erin Halk, according to Columbus Police public information officer Sherry Mercurio.

Damageplan had just begun their first song in front of several hundred at Alrosa Villa when the gunman jumped onstage, made a comment about Pantera's breakup, and began firing at close range into Darrell's body, shooting him several times before opening fire on the crowd.

Mercurio said an officer in the vicinity heard the call of shots fired shortly after 10 p.m., snuck in the back door of the venue and confronted the gunman onstage. When the officer took the stage, he observed one victim and the gunman holding a hostage by the neck. The officer opened fire on the male suspect, whose name has not been released pending notification of next of kin. Mercurio said the fifth victim's name and those of the two wounded have also not yet been released. Several reports stated that the club had no metal detector, though Mercurio could not confirm that at press time and a club spokesperson could not be reached.

If the officer hadn't acted when he did and how he did, we'd probably be looking at more dead, because this guy was actively shooting, said public information officer Sergeant Brent Mull. Following the incident, police took more than 200 patrons onto three city-donated buses to interview them about the shooting.

The ones that were inside and witnessed this ran for their lives and were in fear for their lives, Hull said. They are victims too, and we want to take care of them.

As news of Dimebag's tragic demise rippled through the metal community, the news was met with shock and sadness.

I'm speechless, former Rob Zombie/ Ozzy Osbourne bassist Rob Blasko Nicholson said. This is totally unreal. Dimebag is a f---ing legend and this is total bullsh--. Damageplan also features Dimebag's brother, former Pantera drummer Vinnie Paul; singer Patrick Lachman and bassist Bob Zilla.

This is insane and this is beyond travesty, Killswitch Engage frontman and former Damageplan tour partner Howard Jones said. This is beyond anything I've ever heard. This shouldn't happen in or outside of the rock and metal community. He will be missed and mourned as a person, as a musician, and as a friend.

Wow.

Dimebag Darrell To Be Buried In Kiss Kasket

14 December 2004

Kiss have donated a Kiss Kasket to the family of Damageplan/Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell for the metal star to be buried in.

Darrell was a huge Kiss fan and even had a tattoo the band on his body. As well as the Kiss tatt, Darrell also had Frehley autograph it and had that tattooed to his body as well.

Kiss bass player Gene Simmons announced he was giving the family the coffin on Fox News with Rita Cosby. Simmons told Cosby "well, I wasn't really prepared to talk about it, but the family requested, as a personal issue between the family and the grieving people who are going to be there, to send a Kiss casket. We initially did it as a promotion. And you know, I think it meant a lot to Darryl when, you know - when he was alive, he gave lots of people great joy. I mean he had the band tattooed onto his chest. He was a major figure in rock and roll. He's going to be greatly missed. And the family wish - you know the one last wish they had was that he buried in a Kiss casket. And I think it's a private matter for the family and the fans actually".

In speaking about atrocities that can happen with fans, Simmons added "You know people often forget that the word "fan" actually comes from the word "fanatical". Most people are very nice. Most people respect your privacy. But here's no secret, most celebrities check into hotels under pseudonyms and the reason is not because I don't love the fans but because you've got to be able to keep everybody at arm's length because every once in a while you're going to get a nut job. The only justice, as far as I'm concerned is that this nut case is no longer around to do this to anybody else".

Dimebag Darrell will be buried in a private family ceremony this week. His family has requested the details not to be published by the media.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Terrible news about Dimebag.

Well, at least the killer was killed instead of arrested, leeching tax payers' money.

Damned fool.

I wouldn't mind paying taxes to see that sicko suffer in a cell, being force-fed curdled cottage cheese & urinated drinking water, & cold showers. Very Very COLD Showers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: %2Bo.gif