Should I laugh at this?

Batman

I find this hilarious, is that OK?

:laughing:

I just think that is hilarious! My first thought when I saw the picture was "Don't flatter yourself lady!"

my favorite quote would have to be

I was almost in tears," she said. "I've never been so humiliated in my life. It's one of the worst experiences I've ever had to endure."

So, anyone else find this funny, or do I just have a sick look on humor (CD will laugh at it, I'll bet)

Seriously, though, If a female is patting down a female, there should be no complaints.

I have no problem being patted down by a male, I know they're just as uncomfortable with it as I am. Unless one tells me to turn my head and cough, things will go smoothly. They're just doing their job.

As far as her saying it's the worst experiences she's ever had to endure,well, even before opening her mouth, she's proven she's a drama queen simply because she's taken it this far.

I originally had another comment posted at the top of this statement, but after thinking about it, and reading Tybalt's point of view, I thought it best to get rid of it. I usually have a lot more respect for people in general, and women in particular, so, for anyone who read it , I apologize.

jr.

She's lucky she didn't have the rubber glove inspection, as then she really would have something to complain about. Whats worse, being touched up a bit by a man in a uniform or sitting next to a suicide bomber?

She looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp, so probably does need a bit more loving!

Regards

you know, i am a bit of a drama queen and i know it. i also know that these types of searches are necessary for our safety. i've been patted down on several occasions (i always forget to take off my belt - accidentally, i swear!) and i've never had a problem with it. but i was patted down recently in london stansted and it was extremely intrusive. i seriously felt quite violated by it and i can understand why some women would find it upsetting, especially in front of other paasengers. i think if they are going to change procedure permanently they should consider asking passengers to step inside a booth for such searches.

When I went up to New York, my mom got called aside for the exact same screening. She wasn't even embarassed. Hell, I felt more embarassed because I had to take my plated belt off, and hold my pants up going through the detectors.

Besides no one said she had to get on the airplane. She could have put her Nikes on and got some exercise.

My first thought when I saw the picture was "Don't flatter yourself lady!"

she looks like what she needs is a brisk pat down 2-3 times a week.

She looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp, so probably does need a bit more loving!

Should I laugh at this?

IMO, not really.

There is such lack of civility in society today.

Would this woman's feelings be more valid if she was better looking?

We can find plenty of unquestionably laughable stuff. If you have to ask, then maybe you should let it slide.

Valid points, Tybalt. Perhaps I should have thought twice before taking a few potshots at her. And no, I wasn't refering to her looks, just the way she looks. Her whole posture.

I did make some valid points, though, I believe. If that's the worst thing she's ever gone through, she lives in a fantasy world to begin with.

Seriously, though, If a female is patting down a female, there should be no complaints

That is not necessarily true JR. Let us not forget the litttle episode that Diana Ross went through in London (I believe it was London). Wasn't Diana screened by a woman to which she took great offense to?

No, you aren't the only one. We are trying to keep our country safe and as long as 'profiling' is not allowed we have to do these things. Personally I liked the idea that we are at war with Islamic fundamentalists (18-25 year old middle eastern guys) and we should behave like that. But every time that a 'profile' is done Tim McVey's buddies start to feel more secure. Personal note: my stepfather was searched and patted down as he went to vistit my stepsister in Hawaii. He's 84 and was in WW2, on our side. He was mad, I made fun of him, but we need to be able to define our enemy better than thinking it's an 80 year old man wearing colored socks with tennis shoes.

jr, maybe it's not the worst thing which ever happened to her? perhaps smething worse did happen which makes it difficult for her to be touched like that? how do you know? and even if it is the worst thing that ever happened to her, that would make me happy more than resentful. the idea that there are still people in the world who don't suffer as much as so many do.

I haven't flown in a while, but will be flying to Florida in a couple of weeks. Flying out of Newark, NJ, they only make you take off your belt and shoes, but flying out of Florida is tougher. I set off the metal detector in Miami once because I was wearing an underwire bra and when I said that's what it was, a uniformed security officer (woman) asked if she could confirm that. I said okay. What could I do at that point? So, she used her fingers to press under my breasts and feel that yes, there was a wire there.

I did feel a little embarassed, but not violated, since the officer did ask and was very businesslike about it.

Personally, I think if the woman felt violated, she should have complained to the security office right then and there. While these searches may be necessary, I think the officers should ask permission before touching private areas and not use any motion that looks like groping.

Also, if an officer did grope her, it wasn't done because of her looks, it was done to humiliate her.

I don't take offense at any of the jokes you guys made....I know that it was all in fun. Besides, she is beign a drama queen. The complaint should be handled privately, not in the press and with lawsuits to airlines. What a sue-happy society we are!

What a sue-happy society we are!

That's what I like to hear! ;)

I've been patted down quite a number of times flying here, there and everywhere and the worst was in Dubai. There are only males at the airport (besides check in girls) and it's very uncomfortable. They use one of those hand held scanners, but if anything beeps, you get patted down in front of everyone else. My belt or my sunnies beep at certain times and not at others. I've never had a bra set one off though! I've also had my shoes searched and scanned separately. That was at Johannesburg International though. Heathrow has been the most security lax so far.

Would this woman's feelings be more valid if she was better looking?

I don't think so. The reason I laughed (I decided, yes, I can laugh at it) was because she seemed to hate the patdown so much, and was incredibly offended by it, when she doesn't realize that many other people have had to do that too. I've been patted down at an airport, I didn't care. I think people are just too easily offended these days. Or maybe they aren't...Maybe they are just faking their offendedness for some sweet moolah...

Like others have said here, we are sue-happy

My thoughts exactly.

People are with theirselves 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. One would think that society would think of others instead of constantly thinking about themself.

It's a me, me, me, world.

I agree, but did I miss something in the article? I didn't hear about her suing, just making a big deal out of it (which is ironic, because you'd think that would be more embarrasing!)

I don't think I personally would mind the 'patdown', as long as it was done by a female. I probably would see it as quite funny and tell everyone about it! People that know me would find it hysterical becasue I am the most harmless looking person! :laughing:

However, one important thing to keep in mind here is that people have different levels of comfort with situations such as this. Just becasue it wouldn't bother me doesn't mean soemone else wouldn't, and shouldn't, be uncomfortable with it. Would I think she's going overboard if she sues for money? Yes, absolutely. However, if she takes legal action with the intent of changing how the patdowns are performed then I would support her. She has a valid point that the searches are not performed with the passenger's comfort in mind. And there are a few simple things they can do to ease the discomfort. It wouldn't be hard to have a screen that the security people can take passengers behind for such searches. It also would be reassuring to take a moment and explain, "I am going to pat you down. The reason we do this is to look for hidden explosives that the metal detectors can not see." Sometimes fair warning is all a person needs to be put more at ease. There's no telling what could have made her so uncomfortable. Maybe she simply is a very conservative person, maybe she has had a mastectomy and wears an artificial breast. Who knows!

Yes, we are an overly litigous society. We also have trouble respecting that not everyone looks at situations from the same perspective. I'm not scolding anyone who did laugh, is there any harm in laughing from afar? No, she'll never know. But, after you get a good chuckle, try to wear her shoes and maybe be thankful that you don't. :)

**Carl yanks the soapbox out from under Sara before she writes a book!** :laughing: :laughing: