Best Grunge Band of all Time!!!

AliceNchains

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes linkinparkpycho i am the sh*t

While I find it admirable that you love your band, don't you think a Linkin Park fan site might be more appropriate ? This is , simply, songfacts, which , while we all have our favorites, caters to an appreciation of all types of music. :P

Kevey Dude, and everyone else...lay off the Psycho. Linkinpark is a good kid, and her musical taste will most likely develop over time with the help of Songfacts. You wanna shoot down the band, that's one thing...but don't shoot down the kid. Not everyone yet realizes that the Stones ARE the World's Greatest Rock 'N' Roll Band...but they eventually will see the light. Rock on, LPP, and eb'rybody!!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Look at Sammy trying to keep the peace. I love me some Sammy. ::

I think we are all probably a little obsessive about our favorite groups, but it is good to branch out and learn about other types of music.

I was just saying the other day that I really do like Linkin Park. I love "One Step Closer"; any song where they scream "shut up" is a good thing in my book.

BTW, Tenacious D is the greatest band on earth... :rockon:

So to be a good grunge band you have to have a mediocre guitar player?

Musical talent should not be a bad thing.

No, it's just that shouldn't be the main focus, and I thought I made myself clear by saying 'making noise' rather than 'playing well'. Making noise would fall under the works of Poison and the like, whereas 'playing well' is brilliantly demonstrated by a group like Soundgarden.

• 1 year later...

Neil Young and Crazy Horse is my favorite grunger band...

Agreed. & I might add, on a trail note, a few others, who are often overlooked & not considered or accredited for their placement in influencing the genre, while paving the way for the outlook.

Jimi Hendrix

Heart / (Lovemongers)

Steeler’s Wheel

Cheap Trick

SuperTramp

The Knack

Sonic Youth

Meatpuppets

The Germs

MC5

Mountain

Montrose

Alice In Chains is my favorite, because Cantrell & Staley’s songwriting is the best out of the grunge scene. Layne’s voice is by far better than Cornell or Vender. Their albums are by far the most consistent, with great guitar and by far the best grungy sound. RIP Layne

Very well put & I concur about Jerry Cantrell being the most talented guitarist of the bunch, but not about Layne being a better singer than Chris Cornell.

It wasn't about image, but ironically, the grunge "image" (which was not caring about what you are wearing) became one of the most popular images of the 90s.

Ah, yes… I distinctively remember what the ideal outfit was in the Hessian ’93 Circuit… torn up band / concert shirts wretched with blood – puke stains over gnarly cat-fur flannel & corduroy pants strapped by a 3 ft wallet chain for the belt. Then we (my buddies) would go about washing our real long hair with this special type of porcupine soap that had to be purchased at aroma shops & dying it with kool-aid after first bleach by hydro-peroxide.

You can call it a cross between punk and heavy metal, but i find it much softer than either of these.

GUNS N' ROSES RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too true

\ true that

This has to be one of the most interesting threads that I've ever read on this site, it's a shame that it was started shortly after I left. I apologize for bumping this old & dead thread with my casual trio seperate posts, I just wanted to have my part in it, since I wasn't here for the active debate.

In order, based on favorites; as I’ve listened & reviewed the entire discography for each group...

Alice in Chains

Soundgarden

Pearl Jam

STP

Nirvana

--worth a mention--

Candlebox

Melvins

Mudhoney

Screaming Trees

Veruca Salt

Hole

Foo Fighters

Just by surviving this long, I think Pearl Jam might well be the best grunge band. I think of them more as a rock band though. Just a plain rock band.

I think Nirvana had the best grunge attitude and look, so they're up there as well even if they weren't the best musicians.

Although I can't agree with you on Pearl Jam, (who suck, IMO), in a way you've hit one nail right on the head. So many of the bands touted in this thread- Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains et al- are/were little more than (heavy) rock in a slightly more comfortable disguise, (without spandex, "big hair", etc).

In my view, the label "grunge" (as it was originally applied) encompassed implicit elements of "punk-rock attitude" in terms of ideas, actions and musicianship, and an opposition to pompous "rock posturing".

Therefore the best "grunge" bands were Mudhoney and Nirvana, both of whom were "more punk, less metal" in their leanings than those other bands tagged as "grunge"*.

(*Grunge must surely be one of the most lazily-raised "flags of convenience" of all time...)

If however, one views "grunge" more as a strand of "heavy rock" then...well Soundgarden defecate from a considerable height upon all these other pretenders to the crown, don't they?

If however, one views "grunge" more as a strand of "heavy rock" then...well Soundgarden defecate from a considerable height upon all these other pretenders to the crown, don't they?

You're just saying that because you like them :P

But I (who like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains etc.) do agree with you on the grunge flag of convenience thing. It's not really a genre as much as a fashion statement.

You're just saying that because you like them :P

You've rumbled me, Levis! :blush: ;)

But I (who like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains etc.) do agree with you on the grunge flag of convenience thing. It's not really a genre as much as a fashion statement.

I've always thought "grunge" to be one of the most meaningless labels ever attached to a musical/fashion trend...

In my view, the label "grunge" (as it was originally applied) encompassed implicit elements of "punk-rock attitude" in terms of ideas, actions and musicianship, and an opposition to pompous "rock posturing".

Therefore the best "grunge" bands were Mudhoney and Nirvana, both of whom were "more punk, less metal" in their leanings than those other bands tagged as "grunge"*.

True, Nirvana's only "actual Grunge" albums were Bleach & Incesticide. Pearl Jam had a slight grunge novelty purpose when they were known as Mother Love Bone with the late Andy Wood, this was before Eddie Veddar stepped in with his Mookie Blaylock #10 love. Most of the others from Seattle were only heavy-set on the boundaries, with their own infusion, yet despite being different musically, they were served being veiled behind Cobain's shadow.

singles.jpg

[*]Jimi Hendrix [*]Heart [*]Replacements [*]Smashing Pumpkins [*]Pearl Jam [*]Soundgarden [*]Alice in Chains [*]Mudhoney [*]Screaming Trees

This soundtrack from the 1992

Cameron Crowe film "Singles",

a forgettable romantic comedy

featuring Matt Dillon &

Bridgett Fonda, accurately depicts

the Seattle sound_base at it's best,

without needing the inclusion of Nirvana.

Edited by Guest
damn pic was all smudged

Not to sound adolescent, but what is "freat" ?

I agree about the movie however, it was one of my favorites from back in the day, unfortunately most peeps that I know, didn't care much for it. =:P

Edited by Guest
repeated use of words, I'm such an ditz

I think "grunge" wasn't just about the look or sound, but the fact that the "grunge movement" was centered in Seattle. It wasn't really *that* different from other forms of rock like classic rock and punk, but was given a name because it was seen as a new thing coming from the Pacific Northwest. I guess what I mean to say is that grunge easily could have been called "Seattle Rock" too.

Blind-fitter, I think you're more right than I am. Soundgarden is the best grunge band because they combined the heavy music AND one of the best singers of the 90s rock scene.