First Blues Artist???

T31692

Several years ago I was doing some research on the blues. I learned about one of the first blues artists, who was very popular but never released any recordings because they didn't have the technology back then. I forgot his name, and I was wondering if anyone knew who I was talking about.

this was kind of a broad question. I know it isn't W.C. Handy. The guy I'm talking about died before recording was possible. He was very well known. I first learned about him through personal research and again in a music class. Every time I hear about him people say that it was unfortunate that no one will ever hear his music, because the technology wasn't available yet. His name has slipped from my mind over the years, and it is bothering me. Its okay.

bluesboy, thanx for the link to the highway. I knew KDHX in st louis was part of it, but never got on the website. We(I) are petty big on blues here in st louis.We're listed almost everyday of the week on there, and there are blues clubs everywhere. You can hear live blues anytime you want around here. Just a thanx for the reminder about this site!

is ragtime considered a branch of, or in any way connected to, the blues family tree ?

Hi Kevin,

Ragtime seems to be a branch of the jazz family tree, more than the blues family tree.

The Entertainer is one of those songs that could stick in your head all year round.

::

You're Welcome Edna

::