Shortest song ever?

edna

"Miracle Cure" by The Who is 14 seconds... and one of my friends, who listens to the darker, goth type stuff, told me that Marilyn Manson (or maybe it was Alice Cooper, I can't remember :doh: :doh:) did an album with like 99 songs, the first 97 being each 2 seconds long or something, and they were all silent. I don't know if that really constitutes as a song though!

"Miracle Cure" by The Who is 14 seconds... and one of my friends, who listens to the darker, goth type stuff, told me that Marilyn Manson (or maybe it was Alice Cooper, I can't remember :doh: :doh:) did an album with like 99 songs, the first 97 being each 2 seconds long or something, and they were all silent. I don't know if that really constitutes as a song though!

Thanks, Behind... I guess "Miracle Cure" is shorter than "Her Majesty"!

Oh, thanks everybody! Good site, Bazooka!!! :thumbsup:

Actually napalm death has an even shorter song than that. They released a dual single release with the Electro Hippies that was included as a bonus disc on the comp Grind Crusher that clocked in at a whopping 1 (yes ONE) second in length, which holds the record for the shortest song ever recorded and the shortest single ever released. It's all in their VH1 bio.

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/napalm_death/bio.jhtml

So there you have it, I do believe I win this thread. :D

Other really short songs are Jar by The Suicide Machines (0:03) and F*ck the Kids I and II by NOFX (0:07), Marco-Polo by Guttermouth, Solar Pannel Asses by The Locust (0:26) Coffee Mug by The Decendants (0:33)and NOFX, the Locust, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Minor Threat, and many many other punk/hardcore/grind metal bands have several other songs besides the ones listed under 35 seconds in length. Pink Floyd also has a bunch of really short songs on Tree Full of Secrets.

Hi Edna ! I'm not sure IF this is true, but I'm going to research it. Music Folklore has it that legendary guitarist Les Paul released a single in the 1940s that should have finished with the "shave and a haircut - two bits" riff (da dada da da...da da!)- but he left out the "two bits".

This caused a lot of comment from the record buying public SOOOO he released a (78RPM) record with just those two notes as the sequel. IF true, that would be the shortest Pop release ever. If NOT it's still a good story (I think).

:angel:

I think The Letter by the Box Tops is just under two minutes. I know radio DJs use it when they've got a short space to fill.

1:58 according to this usually reliable source (<).

But, since it's called "the last #1 hit to be shorter than two minutes in length", that implies there are others probably even shorter.

Hi Bazooka. This is the first time I've come to this thread. Being a huge Elvis fan, I know he had three US #1s shorter than that: "All Shook Up" 1.57, "Surrender" 1.51, and "Teddy Bear" 1.48.

Also, his version of "Party" from the 1957 movie "Loving You" was only 1.29. It's the same song released by Wanda Jackson - who toured with Elvis in 1955/56 - as "Let's Have A Party" backed by Gene Vincent's Blue Caps in 1960.

:guitar:

• 1 year later...

"You Suffer" by Napalm Death (from their album "Scum" on Earache Records) clocks in at approximately one second.

"Mega-Armageddon Death Part 3" by The Electro Hippies is similarly timed at about 1 second. Extended versions of this track are available on the bands retrospective compilation album on Peaceville Records. Don't know if/how you can still get the original. I think it was included on an Electro Hippies "Peel Sesssions" release on the Strange Fruit label; whether this is still available I've no idea.

As well as featuring on their respective bands' albums, these two tracks were also on either side of a limited edition 7" single issued with some "grind-core" album or other....in case anyone's interested....

I've always thought Mason Williams' "Life Song" was interesting and about something. (27 seconds)

"Isn't Life Beautiful,

Isn't Life Grand,

Isn't Life the perfect thing to pass the time away." :headphones:

...Just returned from http://rateyourmusic.com, inputting some data about Hawaii musicians past and present. Some album art uploads were rejected, but that's par for the course? =:P

Now I?m being asked about the shorter song... anybody knows if there?s some song shorter than "Her majesty", Beatles? And how much it lasts? thank you!!!!!

Length-wise The Troggs Wild Thing is not what could be considered a short song; however, in its entirety , it contains only 22 different words. This may some kind of economy achievement winner.