Longest song

edna

"American Pie" FEELS like the longest song when it 's on the radio ! ( he ducks) This rant more likely belongs with the "Why Stairway.." thread, but to quote jillian, "meh", .... now honestly ! What in the hell does that mean ? (but it feels good though) PLEASE, someone....have mercy....I've done what could be considered to be back checking and I can't find it anywhere -- Meh ( I WILL use it foolishly if no one obliges) !

Kevin.....American Pie is a short song compared to some of the songs mentioned in this thread. An interesting fact about American Pie which I believe is unique...I owned the 45 when it first appeared when I was a teen and the song started on side A and then you had to turn over the 45 to side B to get the second half of the song.

With that said, I believe this is the only song in pop music history which started on one side of a disc and finished on the other side.

Anyone out there know of any other songs which may have the same unique quality?

An interesting fact about American Pie which I believe is unique...I owned the 45 when it first appeared when I was a teen and the song started on side A and then you had to turn over the 45 to side B to get the second half of the song.

With that said, I believe this is the only song in pop music history which started on one side of a disc and finished on the other side.

Anyone out there know of any other songs which may have the same unique quality?

I believe the single of Sky Pilot by Eric Burdon and The Animals worked that way. I think it was also one of the first 45s produced in stereo.

By the way, when did the other song get named American Pie? Was your record titled The Day That Music Died ?

I believe the single of Sky Pilot by Eric Burdon and The Animals worked that way. I think it was also one of the first 45s produced in stereo.

By the way, when did the other song get named American Pie? Was your record titled The Day That Music Died ?

American Pie has always been named as such. I never recall seeing it named The Day The Music Died.

"The Shifting Whispering Sands" (Parts 1 and 2) Billy Vaughn and His Orchestra, narrated by DJ Ken Nordine, Billboard #5 in 1955. It was on 78 RPM ::(look that up in your Funk And Wagnall's). :thumbsup:

Edna, I mentioned the longest song in my collection in the other thread, Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation (an hour long). There's more information in bazooka's link.

Thank you Muzik, your info is also of big help. I´m making a list with all I´m receiving from songfactors!! Thank you very much once again! :coolio:

American Pie has always been named as such. I never recall seeing it named The Day The Music Died.

The confusion over the title may stem from the fact that a made-for-TV movie about the tragedy chose the name "The Day The Music Died"...from an often repeated line in the song "American Pie".

I'd like to think I'm just a figment of collective imagination ::

Btw, here are a couple of more long songs and music compositions:

"Project 80" by Cabaret Voltaire (53:05)

"Discreet Music" by Brian Eno (31:34)

"An Index Of Metals" by Fripp and Eno (28:36)

"Camera" by Throbbing Gristle (24:29)

"Autobahn" by Kraftwerk (22:43)

"The Heavenly Music Corporation" by Fripp and Eno (20:59)

"Without Mercy 2" by The Durutti Column (19:38)

"Pelicanol" by Einsturzende Neubauten (18:30)

"KlingKlang" by Kraftwerk (17:36)

"Darshan" by David Sylvian (17:17)

"Music For Multiple Dimensions" by Vince Clarke (14:17)

"Principles Of Lust" by Enigma (11:43)

"If There Is Something" (live from the Viva! album) by Roxy Music (10:37)

"Song Of The Stars" by Dead Can Dance (10:13)

"Hallogallo" by Neu! (10:00)

"Television" by Japan (9:15)

"Still Breathing" by Duran Duran (8:31)

Daft Punk's Alive 1997 IS just one track... 45 minutes long and completely kicks ass.

Here are a few more:

Rick Wakeman's "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" (32:00)

ELP's "Tarkus" (21:00)

FGTH's "Welcome to the Pleasure Dome" (13:00)

Chimaira's "Implements Of Destruction" (13:00)

Symphony X's "The Odyssey" (24:00)

Dream Theater's "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" (45:00)

Dream Theater's "A Change Of Seasons" (23:00)

TransAtlantic's "All Of The above (30:00)

TransAtlantic's Duel With The Devil" (25:00)

TransAtlantic's "Stranger In Your Soul" (25:00)

Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick" (25:00)

Jethro Tull's "Passion Play" (45:00)

Green Carnation's "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" (60:00)

The Orb's "Blue Room" (30:00)

Todd Rundgren's "A Treatise on Cosmic Fire" (35:00)

Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (pts 1-7) (17:00)

Iron Butterfly's "Inagaddavida" (17:00)

King Crimson's "Moonchild" (12:00)