The best single song ever?

Mike

Seriously, I'm not sure if this question has been asked, in this specific way. If you had to pick just ONE song and say..."In my opinion, this is the best song EVER, in my opinion" -what would *that* song be?

For me .. I just gotta go with Heart of the Sunrise by YES from Fragile - 1972

Rock-on, Mike

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I speak on behalf of RogerWaters90125. We would like to Put Fletcher Memorial Home by Pink Floyd up there for one of the Greatest Songs.

Another Pink Floyd ones would be Wish you Were Here, Comfortably Numb, Arnold Layne, High Hopes, Eclipse, and Money.

Other songs of other bands I would also nominate would be

The End-The Doors

Sympathy For The Devil-The Rolling Stones

Layla-Derek And The Dominoes

Learning to Fly-Tom petty & the heartbreakers

Roundabout-Yes

i will get back o this thread with my final decision.

Hi Mike. I respectfully suggest that you need to re-word this one - it's too general. Maybe to "Your Favorite single song ever"? Stardust is the greatest song I've seen mentioned so far, and a lot of old show tunes from the 30s and 40s (that most contributors here would never have heard of) would be head and shoulders above modern pop. :angel:

Hi Mike. I respectfully suggest that you need to re-word this one - it's too general. Maybe to "Your Favorite single song ever"? Stardust is the greatest song I've seen mentioned so far, and a lot of old show tunes from the 30s and 40s (that most contributors here would never have heard of) would be head and shoulders above modern pop. :angel:

Your point is taken - ol' double nickels, but hey, if I was any good at wordin' things, I'd be published and pluggin' my book here instead of racking rhetoric regarding rock 'n roll ::

" Those Were The Days" - Mary Hopkin

Haunting melody with sing/hum along lyrics that I recall leaving me feeling sadly sentimental -- even as a kid ! Rarely gets alot of airplay on radio as well, which makes it a real treat. I like to go into a daydream of a dark, musty, Parisian tavern full of world-weary patrons while listening.

:beatnik: :guitar:

"Born to Run" and "Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen.

The best two songs of the Boss. I´ll buy the cd, I had the album twenty five years ago (Oh my god, sounds incredible!!! 25... that much!) but who knows where it can be now...

And "Summer Breeze" by Seals and Crofts. Reminds me of one of the happiest moments of my life...

Stardust-Willie nelson?

Wow, I would have never thought of that version. For fun here's a little info about Stardust. It was originally written by Hoagy Carmichael in 1927 (6 years before Willie was born!) but performed as an uptempo number. He later re-wrote the song as a ballad and added lyrics by Mitchell Parish. The first recording of it was in 1929 by Isham Jones and his orchestra. By 1933 there were already over two dozen cover versions of the song. It has been one of the most recorded songs in popular music. Nat King Cole had a very popular recording of it but performers as diverse as the aforementioned Willie Nelson and Ringo Starr have had a go at it. Hoagy said he based the melody on improvisations that his friend and legendary cornetist Bix Beiderbecke played and at one time I believe he referred to the song as "Bix Licks". Hoagy was a tremendously popular song writer and had a great songwriting career and even made a few movie appearances.

"Born to Run" and "Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen. He is an absolute genius at creating characters that are alive and real in SO few words! He creates a world in every song and takes you on an exhilarating emotional ride into your soul!

I agree. The stark, cold, reality he creates is something not many can achieve. You feel the desperation and angst. Especially on his early stuff. Born to Run hits you with all those emotions from the first note of Thunder Road, and maintains it all the way through to the last note of Jungleland.

You all are going to hate me after I say this but I have always thought the following song to be one of complete sincerity for previous loves (and friends) and I have somewhat reacted the same way in my life as the song suggests.....you can ask my ex-wife!

The song is Micheal Jackson's I'll Be There.

A close second is the James Taylor version of Carole King's You've Got A Friend!