Musical Thought Process

_jr_

How do you go about picking out what music you're going to listen to? Do you just grab any cd and pop it in? Does it just depend on what type of mood you're in?

I know sometimes I'll stand there in front of my cd rack, thinking "Geez, I don't have anything to listen to", even though I have hundreds of cds.

Or, have you ever had a song just pop into your head, and you've got to hear that one song? That happened to me the other day with 'Spirit of Radio'.

Also, how do you store your music? My wife laughs at how meticulous I am about that. Alphabetically, according to genre. I tell her I have to keep up on it. Having so many, if you don't keep them in order, you'll never find what you want.

Just curious about these things.

A good question, jr... Sometimes I have a song in my mind, so I go and put that record/cd/tape. Others, I need something to sooth me or to get me up... so I make my choise. I also stand in front of my records like you, wondering what to listen... or hear a song somewhere and then want to hear it again.

As for storing, I also do it an alphabetical order... elsewhere I would never find anything... My husband likes to pick any record just as a surprise, sometimes I have to run and say "No, not that one, it´s scratched"...

Yesterday I heard "Broken English", Marianne Faithfull, a couple of times. It reminded me of what you said about me and my "broken english"... I loved that!!!!!!!!!

I usually just flip through my CD case while dodging on-coming cars and grab the first CD that says "listen to me this time" and go about it that way. Either that or I'll get a song stuck in my head and I have to play it at least 10 or 12 times before it finally leaves. Also, songs that I can belt out in the car are usually in the CD player more often than songs I don't know the words to but still listen to at work. I load all my CD's on my PC at work, hit the random button, and let-er fly!

I'm like you Jr,

Alphabetized by genre on the big cd rack at home.

blues on the top row

r&b next row

rock next row

bootlegs next row

Then alot of them are on the computer organized alphabetically with compilations in files.

I'll just click a file or an individual song.

Oh yeah, Jr. I just posted in your This Day In History thread...."It's raining like the end of the world in Philly today. I just popped my rain CD's into the player and got real mellow."

Most times I choose music based on having heard something on the radio. Like, a couple days ago I heard Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer" and thought.."geez, haven't listened to them in ages". So, I went to the cabinet and pulled out their double hits CD and played them for the next two hours.

It usually happens that way.

I also have a few "musical" habits. On Sunday mornings I like to listen to Classical music while I devour the Sunday paper. I used to spend early Friday evenings listening to Frank Sinatra, either via Sid Mark or by playing my own CD's. I have several CD's I've burned for listening to on long drives in the car.

Other times though I am struck by a mood and choose music accordingly. That's the best! Nothing enhances or deepens a mood like music.

As for storing of music? I'm a lot like you. I have about 1,600 CD's and they are all filed alphabetically by genre and sub-genre. Motown for example is filed under R&B. Complicating things is that the CD's are stored in 4 different cabinets and shelves throughout the den, bedroom and office. My wife thinks I'm nuts. I'm never at a loss for something "to listen to".

How often do you clean your CD's? Whenever I pull a CD out to play I examine the playing surface carefully. If there's the slightest smudge or blemish I clean it thoroughly before playing.

I'm just as meticulous about my vinyl (about 600 LP's and 500 45's) and cassettes (about 200). That goes for storage and cleaning.

I guess maybe we are crazy about our music, huh? That's cool. Music is a wonderful neurosis. Songfacts is wonderful group-therapy.

I'm listening. grem-grouphug.gif

You guys are unbelievable. I have 30 cds and they are all on the shelf above my cd player. Some of them are in the car too. With so few cds, you cant really go "I havent listened to them in ages" Once in a while i have a craving for a band or something. The way I do it though is , on Windows Media Player, I start a Playlist that plays songs I havent heard recently. That is the best, and that is why I dont want to swithto Winamp.

Well for me, it all depends on my mood, if I'm in a bad mood, its something like Korn, or Seether, if I'm depressed its something like Evanescence or something, and so on and so forth... But there are those times when a song will come into my head and I want to listen to it.

My CD's (I only have 30 or so) I have in my CD case with my most listened to first and my least listened to last, so I always know which one I want and such, its a good way when you have a 40 minute bus ride to school every morning.

I listen definately by the mood I'm in. If I'm blue, then the blues goes in. Unless I need a real pickmeup, then it will be something upbeat and git-er-goin. I'm one of those people that has thier car stereo turned up annoyingly loud, and I sing all time. People probably think I'm nuts. I'm pretty careful about cleaning, and storage too.

When I'm feeling good watch out. Stereo geos up louder, and sunny music goes in, and I sing louder. Sad cause I can't sing. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Like many people I'll listen to whatever I'm in the mood for. Sometimes, if I've heard a bit of a song I like on the radio or TV I'll have to play the whole thing. Other times though I'll listen to pretty much anything: I can go right from James Taylor to Led Zeppelin to some classical music. Also, I go through little bouts where I want to listen to a certain band or album a lot.

I'd love to have a much bigger album collection and I'm hoping to get a bunch more soon. I store what I do have alphabetically by artist.

I try to keep my Cds together by artist and in the order of their release, if I can. I have run out of space for storing CDs so now the newer ones are in a precarious pile on top to the CD rack.

I really just pick whatever I am in the mood to listen to, but I often stand there saying "I have nothing to listen to" when I have about 100 or so CDs.