Hence the name...

Lizzie

more Beatles

:)

Edit:

Excerpt -

"But the whole story of the Beatles' name began in 1957, when young Mr. Lennon assembled his skiffle group, first calling it the Black Jacks, and then the Quarry Men. The group went through several name changes, surviving monikers like Johnny and the Moondogs, the Beatals, the Silver Beetles, the Silver Beats, and the Silver Beatles, before eventually settling on the Beatles.

And "The Rainbows". :angel:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from Bazooka: Here's a site with a ton of band name origins (<)

Good site, but it's quite incorrect about UB40 though! I thought it was common knowledge that they took their name from the English Unemployment Benits applcation form code UB40, which was an "in" joke before they became famous. :angel:

Sorry! Someone does mention that further into the site. :angel:

ruin the fun for everyone who wants to share their knowledge.

I thought this was an interesting cross-reference.

Nobody is vouching for the factuality of these stories.

From the site

I can't verify all of these stories, so do take them with a grain of salt. I try and delete the ones that I know to be bogus ...(and some bands intentionally tell different stories about picking their band name).

Pink Floyd: There is a little controversy as to how they got the name. A few Americans insisted that the group was named after a character from "The Andy Griffith Show"-Floyd the Barber.

Beatles: Actually, the Beatles was the name of the bad Motor Cycle club in the Marlon Brando movie "The Wild One". Lee Marvin played the lead Beatle.

See what I mean?

They will also welcome your substantiated contributions.

Aerosmith drummer Joey Kramer came up with the band's name while still in high school. Something having to do with 'aero' in a class, and he just liked the way it looked, so he started tacking all types of other words to it. Aerosmith s the one he liked best. He actually had it written all over his school books, years before the band was formed.

Yes, Junior, to a point this is correct. However, the name Aerosmith is obviously a play on words from the Sinclair Lewis classic novel "Arrowsmith". And I'm sure that Kramer and the band realized this when they named the band. In fact, there are still many people (including a few DJ's I've heard) that incorrectly pronounce the band name as "Arrowsmith". Anyway, Aerosmith is a great band name.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: