Hence the name...

Lizzie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't the Beatles once called the Silver Beetles? I think they changed to 'Beat'les, simply because music has a beat. I'm purely guessing though. One of our experts will be along shortly. That's the cool thing about learning here. There's always someone who has the answer.

more Beatles

:)

Edit:

Excerpt -

"But the whole story of the Beatles' name began in 1957, when young Mr. Lennon assembled his skiffle group, first calling it the Black Jacks, and then the Quarry Men. The group went through several name changes, surviving monikers like Johnny and the Moondogs, the Beatals, the Silver Beetles, the Silver Beats, and the Silver Beatles, before eventually settling on the Beatles.

In March 1957, after acquiring a guitar, John formed a skiffle group with Pete Shotton and for all of a week, they called themselves the Black Jacks. The name was quickly changed to the Quarry Men, after their Quarry Bank School, partly tongue in cheek, and partly to give the group credibility, according to Lennon biographer Ray Coleman. Their school song, "Quarry Men, Strong Before Our Birth" was rather prophetic. Group members would come and go, but the Quarry Men tag lasted well into 1959, even after the skiffle craze was over. This was in part due to the fact that drummer Colin Hanton's kit was lettered that way. (In fact, Hanton remained a part of the group simply because he owned a set of drums!)

By October 26, 1959, the group was streamlined to just John, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison, and the threesome decided to make a second go at Carroll Levis' TV show "Discoveries." They called themselves Johnny and the Moondogs just for these auditions, which they unfortunately failed. One can only wonder whether Johnny and the Moondogs might have become a household name if they had passed the audition!

In March 1960, new member Stuart Sutcliffe came up with the name Beatals, a play on Buddy Holly's Crickets. The name didn't last long, though, as band members went in their own directions for a brief period. George played with another group, while John and Paul played two dates, April 23 and 24, as the Nerk Twins.

Around May 5, 1960, the group became known as the Silver Beetles. Brian Cassar, the leader of another Liverpool group called Cass and the Cassanovas, suggested the name change in the first place. He proposed the name Long John and the Silver Beetles, but John would have none of the Long John bit. According to Ray Coleman, Long John Silver was once considered, but rejected outright.

For only one date, they called themselves the Silver Beats for a May 14 gig at Lathom Hall in Liverpool. They were advertised to appear one week later under that name, too, but that date was canceled.

In early July 1960, they billed themselves as the Silver Beatles, before finally settling on simply the Beatles, around August 16, 1960. Credit for the name goes to both Sutcliffe and Lennon, though it is not certain just which one came up with the "ea" spelling."

It is said in yonder lore;

that a roach clip fashioned from splitting

a paper match down the middle is called

a Jefferson Airplane.

BB, you´re the second person I know who knows where "Jefferson Airplane" took their name from. Of course, the roach is the end of the joint...

Maestro...

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Of course, jr´s theory about the name "Beatles" is right... a mix between "Beetles" (like "crickets") and "beat".

AC/DC saw the words on the back of a toaster (or a speaker...somthing like that) and they thought that it would be a good name because it signified POWER. However, when they first started out, many people thought they were a gay/transvestite band. They didn't realize that the term AC/DC had an "alternate" meaning. They thought about changing the name, but decided to stick with it.

And, Edna, I've used the Jefferson airplane in the past. However, I still prefer the standard one-inch alligators.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon:

Anyone know where the Kinks came from? Sammy?

Yeah, Ray Davies heard the word "kinky" while watching a television show. He thought it would give them a kind of sexy, badboy image. I don't think it worked. They were very young at the time.

Here's another little bit of Kinks trivia: When the Kinks were touring America in the mid-60's - obviously they weren't the rich dudes they are today - they were invited to stay at the home of the concert promoter (I think it was in Illinois...or somewhere abouts). They got a really weird feeling about the house and the promoter dude, so they decided to stay at a local motel. Several years later, this promoter became headline news when it was discovered that he had killed some 33 young men and boys between 1972 and 1978. This promoter was none other than the IN-famous "Killer Clown" himself, John Wayne Gacy.

Like I said, "Never trust a clown! NEVER!...And don't do crack....or kill young boys....or dress like a clown...or go bungee jumping just because your friend did... And if you do go bungee jumping, make sure the cord is rubber, and not made out of some kind of kite string or cardboard or 10-pound test fishing line...

Anyway...rock on eb'rybody!!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon:

Aerosmith drummer Joey Kramer came up with the band's name while still in high school. Something having to do with 'aero' in a class, and he just liked the way it looked, so he started tacking all types of other words to it. Aerosmith s the one he liked best. He actually had it written all over his school books, years before the band was formed.

Yeah, Ray Davies heard the word "kinky" while watching a television show. He thought it would give them a kind of sexy, badboy image. I don't think it worked. They were very young at the time.

Here's another little bit of Kinks trivia: When the Kinks were touring America in the mid-60's - obviously they weren't the rich dudes they are today - they were invited to stay at the home of the concert promoter (I think it was in Illinois...or somewhere abouts). They got a really weird feeling about the house and the promoter dude, so they decided to stay at a local motel. Several years later, this promoter became headline news when it was discovered that he had killed some 33 young men and boys between 1972 and 1978. This promoter was none other than the IN-famous "Killer Clown" himself, John Wayne Gacy.

Like I said, "Never trust a clown! NEVER!...And don't do crack....or kill young boys....or dress like a clown...or go bungee jumping just because your friend did... And if you do go bungee jumping, make sure the cord is rubber, and not made out of some kind of kite string or cardboard or 10-pound test fishing line...

Anyway...rock on eb'rybody!!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon:

Sammy, you're freakin' scaring me, and I don't scare easily.

Please, stop clowning around.