Agnostics/Atheists/Pagans and Christmas

PSYCHOcatholic

I just wanted to know with the number of Agnostics/Atheists in here...Do you still celebrate Christmas.

I asked a friend of mine if he did(his whole family is atheist)and another friend Pagan. They still celebrate christmas...they decorate. The WHOLE shabang.

They say its because its so commercialized.

Do you?

and for the other people...do you think its right for someone to celebrate something they dont believe in?

not pickin a fight(even though one will break out)just wanna know.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as Christmas is just an extension of the pagan holiday Yule, it's only right that pagans get to celebrate it. Not for the same reasons, but Yule was around centuries before anyone heard of Christianity. Agnostics and Atheists should celebrate christmas if they want. It seems to me that christmas is more about getting together with loved ones (and having time off work) more than anything these days. But that's just me. :)

Depends on what they are celebrating. The birth of christ, or just another holiday. We celebate the birth of christ. The rest is just a sideline. There have been years, when because of circumstances, we didn't have money for presents, decorations etc. The meal was what we could scrounge out of the cabinets. We still celebrated Christmas that year.

If atheists and agnostics want to celebrate something, why that's just fine. As long as they are spending family time, getting into the spirit of giving ( not presents ), love and charity, what do I care what it is they are celebrating?

I fact, I am atheist, though I have my own belief about energy, etc. Not an agnostic, as I don´t doubt about God... not a Christian, as I don´t believe in Christ... maybe a pagan, coz I put incense sticks in front of my plastic chinese bird when some friend or relative has a problem (stupid, I know... he he he he he) But I celebrate Christmas because it´s a tradition in my family. Santa Claus has nothing to do with God or Jesus. My mother is Jew and we always had Christmas three and all the stuff, because her parents were Russian and there they had also this tradition.

I mean, even being Jew (though not practising, just the name, enough for having to run before WWII) we take Christmas as a beautifull ocasion to gather with friends and family. My father came from a catholic family and though he was atheist, he also loved spending santa´s day together with the children, the family, the friends, etc...

We celebrate the birth of Christ in my family. I've always told my children, "The reason we exchange gifts is because God gave us Jesus, His gift to show us all how much He loves us. And we give you gifts to show how much we love you." Now that they're older, they have their own money, and the freely spend it on the people they love. It makes me proud for a 10 year old to walk up to the counter and put their own money up to buy something, not for themselves, but for someone important to them.

My children asked me when they were very, very young, "If it's Jesus' birthday, why isn't there a cake?"

A valid question from a pair of three year olds. Since then, every year, we make a birthday cake for the Baby Jesus.

If an agnostic, or whomever, chooses to celebrate Christmas, that's their choice. What ever your reasons, what's most important is you remain loyal to your beliefs.

I think everyone has the right to celebrate Christmas. As years go by, Christmas seems to become more commercialized and more prominent. (Stores around here had Christmas stuff out 2 weeks ago). With Christmas lights on the streets, Christmas music on the radio and no parking spots at the mall, it is impossible to avoid this holiday. Your religious beliefs should not prevent you from getting in the spirit, especially since it is forced on everyone.

I have Jewish friends that send Christmas cards, exchange gifts and get a tree. Christmas is much more fun than most Jewish holidays.

People, regardless of religion, have the right to celebrate whatever they want.

My family and I don't really celebrate the more pagan or commercial aspects of Christmas. We don't have a tree or decorate or anything like that, but we do get together (as we do often regardless of the time of year) to pray, read from the Bible, give gifts to each other and, most importantly, to celebrate God and Jesus, His birth and works, in the spirit of love, peace and giving.

I am an athiest in the sense that I do not believe that any of the versions of God from 'without' we are given are necessarily true, but do not celebrate Christmas for commercial reasons. I take part to keep other people happy and because it is good fun (most of the time).

I wouldn't spoil my kid's Christmas by saying that the bible story isn't necessarily a true version of events 2000 years ago and therefore we should ignore it all. I went to an Eid meal recently, and whilst I don't believe in the Muslim version of events either I didn't refuse the invite because of it. I think I would however draw the line at one of those Jewish circumcision events if ever I was asked!

Christmas means different things to everybody and so it should given that we are all blessed with the power of reason IMO.

Regards

I'm agnostic (simply because I am far to scientific and cannot prove or disprove the existence of g-d) but I was brought up in a devout Roman Catholic (Italian) family, so Christmas is a huge tradition in my house. We do the decorate-after-thanksgiving thing...our interior designer changed the house all around this year so we had to get all new stuff...that was soooooo much fun! We have two trees (soon to be three) and the whole boughs of evergreen around the lamp post w/ cranberry velvet bows and excessive amounts of white lights (but not enought to make it look tacky!). Every room gets decorated, even the bathrooms!!!! We start Chrismas on the first of December and it goes through the first of Jan. We cook alot and sing tons of traditional songs and then we have La Vigiale di Natalie (the vigil of christmas) where we eat a feast of seven fish and have about 60 people over for an all-night vigil "for the coming of christ" (i just do it for the food and the family!! ::). I may not believe in what christmas stands for religiously, but I do believe in it as a symbol of peace and unity (and a great reason to see my favorite family memebers!!!!) hehe...the presents don't hurt either!!!!!!!!!!! :: :: ::

I have Jewish friends that send Christmas cards, exchange gifts and get a tree. Christmas is much more fun than most Jewish holidays.

I saw celebrations of Jewish holidays, weddings or barmitzvah (??) in the movies and I don´t think it´s funny at all... I prefer Santa Claus... even when there´s only gifts for the little ones, which is logic, in my opinion... they DO believe in Santa, so why ruin their illusion?

Good thread!

I guess I will start by saying that Pagans celebrate this time of year for the Winter Solstice. Same goes for the beginning of Spring as opposed to Easter.

I have to agree with...well I forgot who said it but...the person who said that it is more of a time for coming together with family and friends to spend time they may not usually get to spend throughout the year.

Commercialization I think has gotten WAY out of control. To give gifts around this time (no matter what you are celebrating) is fine, but everyone maxing out their credit cards and/or going broke just to keep up because everyone expects that is beyond me. In fact, even though I earn a good living, I decided this year to use my time, love, effort and energy to make beautiful gifts for the people who are important to me. Gifts that are personalized no matter how big or small tend to mean a lot to people. They will receive purchased gifts that accentuate the made ones, but I have seen throughout the years how ugly people get when shopping and stressed they get about buying something for every person. What I am saying is, this should not be a time for dissonance, quaralling over parking spaces or the last Tickle Me Elmo. It should be a time to embrace the gift of life that we have all been given and offer our gratitude and love to the people that have walked with us on our journey.