Which Country is Really The King of Punk?

TheCyberdemon

Oh, ok. I know back in the early 80's the punk thing was going on around my home town, but not so much. I lived in a rural area. Some guys and girls with a few spikes and some green hair, and that was about it.

When I got to Germany in 83, doing my tour of duty, I had the chance to spend a week in London. Those kids took it seriously. I mean, literally, 25 safety pins stuck in their face. One guy even had and actual working zipper in his forehead.

Based on what I saw, the British were leaps and bounds ahead of the U.S. Of course, I never saw the punk scene in a largely populated area in the the states. Only in my neck of the woods.

As far as punk music, I never followed it, so any comment I'd make on that would merely be a guess.

I would say the US, only because of the many bands I saw in the 80's that were from the LA area. They were all good, some were great (like X) and going to shows was always an event. I will be more specific and say I think the best punk was from the left coast.

It has to be the UK and Ireland given the amount of music coming out in 1976, 77 & 78. The US did however spawn such as The Ramones, New York Dolls prior to that, and the mighty Stooges and Lou Reed as far back as the late 60s-early 70s. A daft argument IMO anyhow, as 'Punk' is surely just a description of the state of mind of a teenager who wants to be the opposite of his/her parents in all respects.

Regards

It has to be the UK and Ireland given the amount of music coming out in 1976, 77 & 78. The US did however spawn such as The Ramones, New York Dolls prior to that, and the mighty Stooges and Lou Reed as far back as the late 60s-early 70s. A daft argument IMO anyhow, as 'Punk' is surely just a description of the state of mind of a teenager who wants to be the opposite of his/her parents in all respects.

Regards

I agree with you, Diggs... yet Daniel is right about Ramones, and jr is also soooo right about punks in Germany...

• 3 weeks later...