Best I've ever read

_jr_

I don't know if this merits it's own thread, but I came across this passage, and felt I should share it with all fellow music lovers:

Like a breathe of purer air, the music floated through the room, bringing an exquisite delight to the gifted few, and stirring the dullest nature with a sense of something nobler than it knew. Frivolous women listened mutely, pleasure seeking men confessed it's charm, world-worn spirits lived again the better moments of their lives, and wounded hearts found in it a brief solace for the griefs so jealously concealed. At it's magic touch the masks fell from many faces and a momentary softness made them fair: eye met eye with rare sincerity, false smiles faded, vapid conversation died abashed, and for a little space, Music, the divine enchantress, asserted her supremacy, wooing tenderly as any woman, ruling royally as any queen.

That was published in 1863. It was written by Louisa May Alcott. (I've been reading her short stories for the past week, and am becoming a big fan)

It just goes to show, the power of music is eternal. The times change, but the effect music has on people, doesn't.

Great idea to share anything beautifull, and more even if it´s about music. I´ve read "Little women" when I was very young, (eight years old or so, but then I prefered Tom Sawyer...) I didn´t read any other book by L.M. Alcott. Could you tell me where is it from?