Movie-A-Day

PSYCHOcatholic

What movies have you seen lately?

VHS...DVD...Computer...TV?

Anything counts...then tell us how you liked it.

I saw the movie Always Outnumbered last night.

This can be a tough video to find, but when I finally did it turned out to be well worth the effort. This is a great film, it rates right up with "Citizen X" as one of the best made for HBO movies. Laurence Fishburne is terrific as Socrates Fortlow, an ex-con living in inner L.A. and attempting to carve a new life for himself while just barely getting by. Fishburne gives the character real grit, anger, and pride, but most of all he shows us a man who is committed to living life honorably after making some very serious mistakes. You can feel the frustration of a man who is trying to live right in a world that is seldom fair, but he won't give in to the temptation to make an easy buck or to compromise his principles. The film is presented as a series of intertwining stories about the people in Fortlow's life, and the other actors in the film are superb - there is never a moment that doesn't feel real. The stories all have meaning - love, prejudice, empathy, sorrow, friendship, honor and death. It's not often that a film says this much without seeming to, and it's not often you see a film this moving.

Rock On Morpheus! :rockon:

I have recently started doing the "Net Flix" thing. It's way cool, you just register, pay a small monthly fee and make a list of movies that you would like to have sent to you. You get to keep the movies as long as you would like and when you're done you just send them back (postage & envelope are provided)and then they send you the next 3 movies on your list.

Recent movies I have received are:Cold Mountain , I could NOT get into this movie no matter how hard I tried...

Suicide Kings I had already seen it but I like this movie alot my husband, however, didn't find it as amusing...oh well!

One of the main reasons for making the decision was Hollywood Video (which is where we usually rent from) is trying to be like Blockbuster where you pay a monthly fee and keep the movies for however long you want...the problem is they did not have enough movies in stock so they were out of ALL of the new releases and had NO idea when they would be returned. :doh:

I watched Ghost World yesterday. What a strange movie. I found some moments very obtusely amusing, but nothing cracked me up. There was nothing to think about, nothing to be afraid of, nothing to cry over, nothing to sigh about...I'm not sure what kind of movie it was trying to be. I hate to say it, but I just don't enjoy Thora Birch movies at all (besides American Beauty.) She's neither here nor there and appears soulless and infinitely bored with whatever she is doing. I know she enjoys more obscure and 'dark' roles, but she seems to be a poor man's Christina Ricci.

I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone, I know I watched it to the credits - but could quite happily have turned it off within the first 10 minutes and never thought further about it. Pity, all the ratings on the box said it was a "must see".

that's strange sue, i usually agree with everything you say but i saw 'ghost world' a couple of years back at the cork film festival and while i wouldn't say i *loved* it, i still enjoyed it and thought it was worth watching. i liked the strange dynamic of the friendship which developed between the characters of thora birch and steve buscemi (and i do lov everything he does) and i liked the portrayal of the how her friendship scarlett johansson's character suffered. the humour is certainly offbeat and doesn't inspire roll-around laughter but nonetheless i liked this movie.

tonight i watched bridget jones diary for about the fourth time. it's a silly chick flick but lots of fun with a great feelgood soundtrack and lots of sharp and clever jokes (the kind i always try to remember for later use but never quite manage it). i always enjoy renee zellweger, colin firth and hugh grant so couldn't go wrong really. and it was the first movie i've watched in english in two months!!

Gisela, granted the strange dynamics were well thought out (it started as an underground comic first) and the guy on the bus stop was quite saddening, I just didn't 'get' the movie at all. Steve Buscemi has to be the most unusual looking guy in movies at the moment, but he is very good. It's those crayzee eyes! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, sounds like a sideshow at a circus. Or a stuck up salesman....

"Thats right you heard it right here folks! This is NO joke...Take that Bible and throw it right out the Window...no more trips to Church...Just one trip to the farm. Screw a Goose and Go to Heaven! Its amazing folks! And for a limited time...FOR YOU ONLY! Ill throw in this LOVELY FREE...CAR FRESHENER! Thats right...not only do you go to heaven...but! You get a car freshener too!

Dont believe it...ASK THE POPE!

Well folks i gotta be running along...enjoy your Goose...but especially...Enjoy Heaven!" :angel:

• 5 weeks later...

I rented Blue Velvet the other day and for all of the acclaim that surrounds David Lynch I didn?t find it to have any great revelation. I suppose Dennis Hopper added some intensity to certain senses but other then that I found it a challenge to sit through. However, I?m sure any film student would have a hundred reasons as to why it?s a classic masterpiece.