The meaning behind "Holy water" - Big & Rich

froggiechique

• 4 weeks later...

I saw big and Rich in concert recently and when they sang this song they said it was about women who are abused by their husbands. It is a great song and if you ever get the chance to see them in concert--go for it. Hope I helped.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Much like I'm sure you have... I've heard this song many times and finally ended up wondering what the meaning behind all of if was. So I looked up the lyrics, and with a little help from a few sources came up with this:

In the beginning of the song it talks about a woman who used to be happy all the time and seems to glow much like an angel with a halo. However her "halo" was stolen and she's been hurt by either her lover or her husband. The song progresses to the chorous which sings:

Take me away (meaning take me away from my pain)

And take me farther (take me farther than that, take me to

hapiness as well)

Surround me now (god, put your loving arms around me and

surround me in love)

and hold... me like holy water (hold me like your dearest,

your holy water)

From there it talks about how all she wants is someone who cares to love her and hold her gently.

Hope this helped!

Have a good day!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just joined this board tonight, didn't even know it was here till now! I just wanted to throw my two cents in here, as they say. When I first heard this song, and saw the video, I just had this really really strong feeling about it, and wanted to share. I don't know for sure if this has anything at all with what kind of message they wanted to send out, but this is how it struck me. To me, it just hits me as possibly being about a woman who has been abused, perhaps sexually? Sorry if this sounds, well, vulgar or anything. I don't mean it to be. Of course too, I just went into counseling myself, the very same week I first saw this video and heard the song, and it almost seemed to just "scream" out partially how I was feeling - this dr. hypnotized me and I remembered, sort of, things I had I guess blocked out all my life. Then, that very next night, I was watching CMT, and saw this video for the first time, and I just broke down. It just well, "fit". Only way I can think of to describe it. Perhaps I am a bit "off" in my thinking here, but, well, just wanted to share, and express my thoughts on it. I wish they'd put out something that told us all what it really was intended to mean. Thanks for listening, and if anyone ever does find out what it really means, or was intended to mean, give me a holler! Thanks again for your patience in listening.

You don't sound vulgar saying it's about sexual assault, because I agree that sounds what the song is about, or at least partially. It could be about any women who went through such a crisis (specifically Big Kenny's sister) and feel shut out from the rest of the world. It's moving, and shows how diverse Big & Rich is, and how they're pioneering in the world of country music. I mean just compare this to "Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy", these guys can do so many things.

I think it this song really describes a sexual abuse victim. The "stolen halo" being the woman's (or girl's for that matter) innocence. It perfectly describes how alone she must feel after such an ordeal...I think Nancy hit the nail on the head. This is a powerful song, it really makes you think. I hope this helps Nancy, to know that there are people out there who understand how you feel.

Wow I found a thread chock-full of tadpoles!! Welcome to everyone!!! Even Foxy, although she's already a staple around here! ::

I love the song Holy Water. I think I like the thoughts, and the guys ideas about why they wrote the song, more than the song itself. :( I've been getting into Big and Rich, and the whole Muzik Mafia thing. I enjoy all of them!

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an additional thought, I was just watching this video, like you trying to figure out its true meaning. The sexual(or domestic) abuse is what I thought too. I still do, but I was curious about the end of the video when the women are writhing in the Holy water. I think that part is the healing. They had been bathed in the Holy Water and healed, now they are whole again, as women and even sexually, hence the sensuality in the end. It is a pretty powerful 3 or so minutes.

Michelle

I was very curious myself and did some research and found like many of you that the song was inspired my Big Kenny's sister who you see in the video was abuse in some form either sexually or beaten. You can really understand that in the line "someone ran away with her innocents". Just thought I would put my 2 cents in.