Working Title: Your Aria

Nicolina-Maria29648

I wrote this in about five minutes. I have no idea where this came from, but I fell in love with it as I was writing. I also noticed that most people post poems and songs here (wiht the exception of a few stories) so I thought I would throw in this short piece. Feedback is appreciated. Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions about the title (i.e. whether I should keep it, what I could chage is to, etc.) that would be great!

She watched him with abated interest, her fingers dead against the stark ivory. In her mind, an intense melody of perfect cadence roared, haunting her every thought as she tried to expel the aria through tense hands. He was speaking, she was sure, but she heard nothing but the sound of the keys sending mallets flying over flawlessly tuned strings, engulfing her body in the most incredible sensations. His hands were on her shoulders suddenly, shattering her concentration. Her finger slipped from a C to a B and it was gone. She slammed her fists down into the sea of black and white, creating waves of screaming protests to such an inelegant expression. She forced herself away from his penetrating gaze, abandoning her sanctuary and retreating into the fragile shell that she became so long ago. He advanced upon her, moving in time to the beat that kept constantly in her brain; she loathed the sound of his feet falling over the mahogany flooring. Arms outstretched, he tried in vain to take a hold of her once more, begging ? merely above a whisper ? with words of remorse and comprehension. Her doe eyes hardened to charcoal and emotion escaped her, leaving her numb and silent; her music played on in her head. He fell quiet, staring at her momentarily, with great curiosity. He reached out and gently laid a hand on the black cashmere of her sweater, his palm spread flat over her trim stomach. Her eyes flew to meet his. Utter shock encircled her delicate features. And the music came crashing to a halt. Their breathing echoing in time to the beat that kept constantly in her brain.