Didn't anybody see?

Sunday's on the phone to Monday

Tuesday's on the phone to me

She said she'd always been a dancer

She worked at fifteen clubs a day

And though she thought I knew the answer

Well, I knew but I could not say"

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon:

I agree with a lot of the above. 'Stairway' is one of those songs from my youth that used to go on after the pub, and we would all sing along merrily until we passed out. Nowadays though on the rare occasion I end up listening to music after a night out I wouldn't dream of putting it on as it has been done to death, along with such as Freebird, the Bat out of Hell album and many others. This doesn't detract from the quality of the piece however.

Regards

But when anything is called the "greatest" **coughAlicough** it needs to be backed up with facts for me to agree.

Did I do that? I don't remember calling it the greatest, it doesn't even sound like something I would say... I mean yes, Led Zeppelin is my favorite band, but Stairway's not my favorite song by them.

-Ali

Stairway to Heaven is a great song, it's just been beaten to death.

Jr....I wish to add something to what you said. I too like you old folks grew up in the late 60's and early 70's. AM radio ruled the airwaves back then. FM radio was barely existent. I don't recall any transistor radios back then with an FM band.

With that being said, Stairway to Heaven was never in the top 40 charts (at least I don't believe it was). The charts back then were separated into three genres: pop, country, & soul. If you wanted to hear music different from what was being fed to you from all directions, you had to switch bands and go over to FM radio. Stairway To Heaven was not beat to death back then because it could only be found on FM. Of course if you wanted to hear the latest Osmond creation over and over AM radio is where you wanted to be. I don't believe it was until 1973 or 1974 (at least in NYC) where FM began getting the respect it deserved. Back then you went to FM for alternative or progressive rock (as it was known back then) and that is where you got the album rock of Led Zep, Black Sabbath, The Who, ELP, Yes, etc.

Nowadays there are charts for everything from kids songs to Christmas songs to our beloved classic rock. Stairway has always been a number one or two song on the rock charts. I too sometimes wonder why Stairway has the staying power and following that is has. I can think of at least ten other songs that deserve that top spot more so than Stairway. I will start off by saying Freebird should be above it as well as Satisfaction, Roundabout, Like a Rock, and Won't Get Fooled Again.

Just one man's opinion.

First off... dedhorse.gif yeah.

I think part of Stairway to Heaven's appeal came from the fact that it picked up so much controversy so everyone and their Mom was listening to it and became familiar with it and everyone learned the words so all the radio stations kept playing it and everyone from 5 to 80 knows the song so they claim it's the most popular song ever. Phweeew.

Now, as far as Lynyrd Skynyrd is concerned and Freebird, as a massively huge die hard Skynyrd fan, I can assure you that Freebird may be one of the best JAM songs, but it is by no means the greatest Skynyrd song recorded, not by far. The fact that Ronnie VanZant lived under that "mentality" is one thing, but the song itself is very simple and the lyrics should have been expanded to at least another verse or two.

This is the same concept of Stairway to Heaven, everyone hears it and thinks it's Led Zeppelin's greatest song only because they never really listened to any of they other songs they played.

So why Stairway? Because everybody knows the song, that's why.

Because it builds up emotion throughout the whole song, then the drums come in its beautiful. Robert Plant starts wailing with that amazing voice of his, and then perhaps the greatest guitar solo of all time. I sometimes ask the same question, and then I hear it and all my doubts are gone. One of the greatest songs of all time without a doubt. I still prefer Since I've been Loving You for Led Zeppelin though.

I don't really understand all this "Stairway" hype, either, but my guess is that it's one of those songs that you can interpret so many ways, so you can put your own spin on it.

I also agree that people are just conditioned into thinking it's the definitive LZ song, instead of listening to all their stuff and making their own judgements.

Personally, I will be happy if I don't hear that song again for a loooong time.

Because it builds up emotion throughout the whole song, then the drums come in its beautiful. Robert Plant starts wailing with that amazing voice of his, and then perhaps the greatest guitar solo of all time. I sometimes ask the same question, and then I hear it and all my doubts are gone. One of the greatest songs of all time without a doubt.

Best post of this thread...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll you why (I'm actually listening to it right now). It's the whole thing, it is soothing, the lyrics are relaxing. The solo is absolutely brilliant, the intro is genious, the instruments used in it make it good, very good accompaniment, Robert Plant was born to sing this song, no one can sing sing it as well as him, now, go listen to it!!!. =:P

• 2 months later...