"Like A Rolling Stone" the best ever ?

Kevin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Al Kooper should have gotten joint credit with Bob Dylan. The organ is the best part of the song. Bob Dylan is a great songwriter but not the best on vocals,although I do like him here (and on Hurricane). I have old footage of him performing "Blowin In The Wind" that I used to threaten my children with when they misbehaved. Hyoww Menny Tahms... Now "Blowin' In The Wind" is a genuine Folk song, but I don't think "Like A Rolling Stone" is. Whether it's Rock - well Fats Domino summed it up when he was asked about the "new" Rock N Roll in the mid 50s. He said he'd been playing the same music for nearly 2 decades and he didn't care what people called it. :angel:

It's not even a rock song. It's a folk song.

Muzik...I don't know if I totally agree with that statement. I do agree Dylan is a folk singer more so than a rock singer, but this song lies somewhere between the two genres. I guess the song itself being a ballad of sorts could be conceived as a folk song, but the music behind the words is not.

This song in no way should ever be a number one song on any chart. I have never been big on Dylan, but I have always enjoyed listening to his Desire album. That album features Hurricane and has a few other good ones, mostly ballads.

Dylan is a folk singer more so than a rock singer

If the year was 1962, 1963 or 1964 I'd have to agree with you. If it was early 1965 his style was "folk rock". In fact, with some help from The Byrds, he invented that genre of music. After that though, and including "Like A Rolling Stone", he was a rock star through to 1967 when he became a folk singer again. In 1969 he went country. To cut this short there aren't many musical styles that Dylan hasn't tried. Some more successful than others.

These days, he's gone full circle and he's back to being a folk and blues singer. But when he was rock star, he was up there with the best of them.

yeah but his attempts at rap, metal, classical, jazz, electronica, hip hop, soul, reggae, punk, grunge, etc etc weren't quite so successful. :P

Didn't Dylan invent rap when he sang "Subterranean Homesick Blues" back in 1965?

For reggae, listen to "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" from the album "Bob Dylan at Budokan".

For jazz try "If Dogs Run Free" from the album "New Morning".

For the classical style try "All the Wild Horses" from "Self Portrait".

For metal listen to "When the Night Comes Falling From the Sky" from "The Bootleg Series".

Punk - is that where you spit on the audience? - I don't thing he tried that.

Anyway you get the point. All very successful - at least I like them. I suppose Bob does too!

Didn't Dylan invent rap when he sang "Subterranean Homesick Blues" back in 1965?

For reggae, listen to "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" from the album "Bob Dylan at Budokan".

For jazz try "If Dogs Run Free" from the album "New Morning".

For the classical style try "All the Wild Horses" from "Self Portrait".

For metal listen to "When the Night Comes Falling From the Sky" from "The Bootleg Series".

Punk - is that where you spit on the audience? - I don't thing he tried that.

Anyway you get the point. All very successful - at least I like them. I suppose Bob does too!

I must agree with you, EdL... after all, Wight is Whight and Dylan is Dylan... (who sang that????)