"Like A Rolling Stone" the best ever ?

Kevin

On Wednesday, Rolling Stone magazine named "Like a Rolling Stone" ~Bob Dylan as the "best rock and roll song of all time."

"No other pop song has so thoroughly challenged and transformed the commercial laws and artistic conventions of its time, for all time," ~ Senior editor David Frike

Certainly it's a great song, but are you all content with this choice or the magazine's reasoning ? Thoughts ?

:guitar: ::

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you happen to know what issue of Rolling Stone the list is published in? My roommate has a subscription... I disagree with their choice of Like a Rolling Stone as the greatest... but then again, these lists are there to incite conversation, I mean here we are all discussing Rolling Stone magazine. I'd say their plan worked though, we can agree on that at least.

Like A Rolling Stone - the best ever! What an excellent and obvious choice. And it's included on Highway 61 Revisited which some (including me) regard as the finest rock album ever made.

I was in my teens at the time "Like A Rolling Stone" was released it was positively ground breaking and not just because it broke the "singles must be 3 minutes long" rule. If you consider some of the other hits that we had to put up with in 1965 like "Tossing & Turning" by the Ivy League or "I'll Never Find Another You" by the Seekers you'll see what I mean.

And to think that "Like A Rolling Stone" was kept out of the number one slot by Sonny & Cher's "I Got You Babe".

When Bruce Springsteen inducted Dylan into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 he described how he felt when he heard "Like A Rolling Stone" for the first time, finishing with, "Dylan was a revolutionary. Bob freed your mind the way Elvis freed your body".

You had to be there in 1965 to know what I mean. Well done Bob (but we knew it all along). :coolio:

Fantastic song? Oh yeah. Best ever? Oh no. I'ts all subjective of course, my best and your best are gonna be very different. I'd agree with Satisfaction (but then you all knew I would) but there's a lot of best songs. Best in what way? Music, Lyrics, Popularity? Although I remember many a night a bunch of us drunk or whatever, singing Like a Rolling Stone at the top of our lungs and thinking then it was the best song ever.

It´s a good song, sure... but not the BEST... why not stairway to heaven? what about the Floyd? And "Don´t answer me", Alan Parsons? And "Smoke on the water"? And "Please Mr. Postman" And why the three first Beatles songs are MCCartney´s? is it worth it talking about old Rolling Stone alzheimer magazine? We all know which are our top songs...

which issue is it in? Although I usually never agree with them, I really like lists, because they give me an excuse to get angry!

Like many have said, Like A Rolling STone isn't even a rock song, it's a folk song.

Oh well, it's hard to pick 500 best songs. But thenn, why did they even try?

Hahahaha! If "Hey Ya" made the list, and they put a folk song as number 1, Muzik is right, there's absolutely no way we should trust Rolling Stone mag. As to them liking it because it mentions their title, that was my first thought as well. If anyone should put together the list, I say it should be a crack team of Songfacts junkies. And come on, no Stairway *and* no Freebird? As much as I think Stairway to Heaven's overrated, at least I can count on it to be rated! In my opinion Achilles' Last Stand is *my* number one rock and roll song. It has everything going for it.