Rolling Stone magazine *new* top 100?

Mike

First let me just say...

Rolling Stone magazine sucks!

According to the "new" list of Greatest songs of all time by RS mag ...

-here is the top ten

1. "Like a Rolling Stone," Bob Dylan

2. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," Rolling Stones

3. "Imagine," John Lennon

4. "What's Going On," Marvin Gaye

5. "Respect," Aretha Franklin

6. "Good Vibrations," Beach Boys

7. "Johnny B. Goode," Chuck Berry

8. "Hey Jude," Beatles

9. "Smells Like Teen Spirit," Nirvana

10. "What'd I Say," Ray Charles

Full article here

I'll quote John Lennon - "Gimme some truth"

Like A Rolling Stone? Number one!? Jesus. Bob Dylan is extremely overrated. Oh, he can blow into a harmonica producing the same notes repeatedly, have an organ hammer out basic chord progressions, and sing about current events. Wow, what a legend. I mean, it's not a bad song, just I don't see what all the Bob Dylan hype is about. Can't wait for HD to flame me about this post.

Nah! "Sympathy for the Devil" is hands-down the best piece of music ever written. Beethoven's Fifth runs a distant second. "Sympathy" should be Number One. Take it from a true Stoneshead. All the songs listed there, including "Satisfaction", were ground-breaking songs, but not the artists' best work. All those artists made better music as they matured...except maybe Nirvana. Don't get me wrong "Satifaction" is an incredible tune and definitely makes the top 100, but the Stones themselves have at least five or ten better songs. I won't name them here....okay, I will...

"Sympathy for the Devil" obviously

"Street Fighting Man"

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking"

"Rocks Off"

"Paint It Black"

"Brown Sugar"

"You Can't Always Get What You Want"

"Monkey Man"

"Some Girls"

"One Hit (To The Body)"

"Bitch"

Shall I go on??

Stones rule!!! There is no substitute!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Fantastic. What a great result. But then oldies like me already know that the 60's produced the greatest music of all time. I'm not sure that Satisfaction belongs in that list though :D

Half of those songs are 60 songs. None of them are recent songs. Says a lot for modern music doesn't it? They don't write 'em like they used to and it looks like they never will.

I'm not sure that Satisfaction belongs in that list though :D

I AM and I'm older than you, so respect your elders. :) :angel:

Nice to see that somebody was listening. The first single I ever bought, after saving 2 week's pocket money, was "It's All Over Now" by you know who. I've still got it and all the other Stones singles from the 60's though they are a bit scratchy now. And the first album I bought was titled simply "The Rolling Stones". I think I might have been the Stones biggest fan at one time - unless it ws you :D

Nah! "Sympathy for the Devil" is hands-down the best piece of music ever written.

Good song, but I like Bryan Ferry's reworking of it better - the vocals at least.

Here's my Stones' Three Totally Indesputably Greatest Songs

1. Satisfaction (Just the intro alone....)

2. Paint It Black (Wyman's bass..Jones'sitar)

3. Little Red Rooster (That slide guitar by brian Jones...)

:angel:

The first single I ever bought, after saving 2 week's pocket money, was "It's All Over Now" by you know who.

A Great choice Ed. Remember "High Tide And Green Grass" Best Of LP? I played that to death. I was going to buy it on CD, but the tracks weren't all the same as the record.

I knew I was older than you Mate. My first single was "Rock Around The Clock" and "The Great Pretender" was my second. ALL my pocketmoney went on those newfangled 45s then. I just noticed you're in Perth, probably the Oz city most on par with Brisbane, because we're generally more easy going than our Southern counterparts. All the Best ! :angel:

Darryl

Nice to meet another Stones fan from way back when. I latched onto the Stones when I realised my parents liked The Beatles and, back then, listening to the same music as your parents was a big no-no for a teenager. Besides, imitating Mick Jagger meant you could grow your hair longer and didn't have to wear a suit - a grey crew neck jumper and jeans did the job. Happy days! :D

Fantastic. What a great result. But then oldies like me already know that the 60's produced the greatest music of all time. I'm not sure that Satisfaction belongs in that list though :D

Half of those songs are 60 songs. None of them are recent songs. Says a lot for modern music doesn't it? They don't write 'em like they used to and it looks like they never will.

Guess it´s true... they don´t do them like before, EdL. And I think Sammy is absolutely right, his stones taste and knowledge makes him deserve the seventh star...

I bought my first Stones music in...65? (my dad got it for me, he was a journalist too...) It was "paint it Black" and then I got me "Under the boardwalk". I never liked "satisfaction" that much... they have mucho better stuff. We´ve been lucky to grow up with rock and roll.

Maybe 55 is older than us (I was born in 55, december´s child but 55) but Sammy knows a whole lot...

You just wanted to be a rebel Ed. I always wanted to be James Dean when I was that age. Edna , I'm probably the oldest (not the wisest) here. As of today 22 November, I'm playing the Beatles "When I'm 64". Funny how the Stones were always regarded as the Bad Boys and the Beatles as Goody Two Shoes, an image Brian Epstein created. :thumbsup: :angel:

You just wanted to be a rebel Ed. I always wanted to be James Dean when I was that age. Edna , I'm probably the oldest (not the wisest) here. As of today 22 November, I'm playing the Beatles "When I'm 64". Funny how the Stones were always regarded as the Bad Boys and the Beatles as Goody Two Shoes, an image Brian Epstein created. :thumbsup: :angel:

So it´s your birthday? HAPPY BIRTHDAY, OLD55!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :coolio: :coolio: :coolio: :coolio: :coolio: :coolio:

I´m still a baby, but I hope I´ll get to celebrate my 64s with that song of these angels called the Beatles! :thumbsup: