Today in Music History

_jr_

I doubt that.

Bob Geldof? The Bob Geldof who played Pink in The Wall?

DJ Allan Freed it was! No doubts about that Roger.

:thumbsup:

Bob Geldof of the Boomtown Rats, assisted by Midge Ure of Ultravox, approaced the musicians who became Band Aid to record the original "Do They Know It's Christmas" on 25 November 1984 for relief of the great famine in Ethiopia. Here's the artists/groups who participated. (A great Music Trivia question is "who were the only US based artists to perform on the record")?

Bob Geldof, Midge Ure, Sting, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Culture Club, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Paul Young, Style Council, Human League, Us, Eurythmics, Bananarama, Wham, Status Quo, Heaven 17, Phil Collins, AND US group Kool And The Gang. Paul McCartney recorded a message for it* and David Bowie introduced the record with a televised message.(The B-Side consisted of anti-famine messages). The record cover art was done by Peter Blake. who did the Sgt. Pepper cover and FOR YOU ROGER the Who's Face Dances, which I'm not familiar with at all.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday December 11

* Brenda Lee ("Dum Dum") is 60

* David Gates ("Goodbye Girl" and leader of Bread) is 64

* Jermaine Jackson ("Daddy's Home") is 50

* The late J. Frank Wilson ("Last Kiss") is born in 1941

* The late Perez Prado ("Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White") is born in 1918

* The late Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton (the original "Hound Dog") is born in 1926

* Sam Cooke ("You Send Me") is shot to death by a Los Angeles motel manager, 1964

* David Soul wins a $70,000 judgement in a lawsuit against a London theatre critic who criticized his stage performance without even seeing it, 2001

* Carlos Santana performs at the Nobel Peace Prize concert in Oslo, Norway, 2002

* Aretha Franklin makes her New York concert debut at the Village Vanguard, 1960

* The first U.S. Genesis concert is held at Brandeis University in Massachusetts, 1972

Sunday December 12

Connie Francis ("Stupid Cupid") is 66

Dionne Warwick ("Don't Make Me Over") is 65

The late Frank Sinatra ("Love And Marriage") is born in 1915

Jerry Lee Lewis marries his cousin Myra (before the divorce from his previous marriage is final), 1957

Mick Taylor leaves the Rolling Stones, 1974

Gordon Lightfoot leaves a Hamilton, Ontario hospital more than three months after undergoing emergency surgery there, 2002

Dionne Warwick celebrates her 45th birthday by receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, 1985

"Frank Sinatra Day" is celebrated in the state of Nevada, 2001

A Portland, Oregon disk jockey is fired for playing Elvis Presley's version of "White Christmas" on-the-air, 1957

Filming begins on Diana Ross' "Lady Sings The Blues" movie, 1971

Marie Osmond's solo TV variety series debuts on NBC, 1980

Bill Haley records "See You Later Alligator", 1955

December 12:

1943: Dickey Betts, guitarist for the Allman Brothers, is born.

1963, The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', the groups third No.1 and this year?s Christmas No.1.

1964: The Righteous Brothers "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" is released.

1967: A London Appeals Court commutes Brian Jones' nine-month prison stay for possession of cannabis after hearing testimony from three psychiatrists that Jones is "an extremely frightened young man" and could not stand nine months behind bars. He was instead fined £1,000 and put on probation for three years.

1985: Keyboardist Ian Stewart, an original member of the Rolling Stones, died.

2003, Mick Jagger became a Sir after being knighted by Prince Charles at Buckingham Palace.

Monday December 13

* Ted Nugent of the Amboy Dukes ("Journey To The Center Of The Mind") is 56

(Also known as a soloist on songs like "Cat Scratch Fever.")

* Zal Yankovsky of the Lovin' Spoonful ("Rain On The Roof") dies in 2002

* Pigmeat Markham ("Here Comes The Judge") dies in 1981

* The Beatles sign with manager Brian Epstein (though Epstein never signs the contract), 1961

* George Harrison has lunch with U.S. President Gerald Ford at the White House, 1974

* B.B. King performs for U.S. President George W. Bush at the White House, 2001

* "John Denver's Montana Christmas Skies" special airs on CBS-TV, 1991

* Phil Collins guest stars on NBC-TV's "Miami Vice", 1985

* Jimi Hendrix records "Foxey Lady", 1966

* Perez Prado records "Patricia", 1956

December 13th

1838 - Composer Alexis Vicomte de Castillon was born.

1928 - George Gershwin's musical work "An American in Paris" was premiered by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra.

1961 - The Beatles signed with manager Brian Epstein.

1974 - George Harrison had lunch with U.S. President Gerald Ford at the White House.

1975 - David Bowie's "Golden Years" was released.

1975 - Foghat's "Slow Ride" was released.

1985 - Phil Collins made his U.S. TV acting debut on "Miami Vice" playing a drug dealer.

1988 - Bruce Springsteen's divorce from Julianne Phillips became final.

1990 - The musical revival of "Peter Pan" opened.

1991 - "John Denver's Montana Christmas Skies" special aired on CBS.

1993 - Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash joined Billy Joel on stage in Los Angeles to play a solo on the tune "Shameless."

1994 - Prince performed the song "Dolphin" on the David Letterman show.

1996 - The movie "Jerry Maguire," starring Glenn Frey, opened.

2001 - The two surviving members of Nirvana, Krist Novoselic and David Grohl, filed a countersuit against Courtney Love. The charge was that she has manipulated the memory and work of her dead husband, Kirk Cobain, for the benefit of her own career.

2001 - The two surviving members of Nirvana, Krist Novoselic and David Grohl, filed a countersuit against Courtney Love. The charge was that she has manipulated the memory and work of her dead husband, Kirk Cobain, for the benefit of her own career.

I can't believe no one's spotted it yet! :: I thought I'd leave it as the one website had it. :laughing: See why I try and double-check my facts!

December 13:

1948: Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, guitarist with the Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan, is born.

1966: on ITV's 'Ready Steady Go!' Jimi Hendrix made his TV debut, being paid the fee £91.8's & 5d, also on the same show was Marc Bolan.

1975: Chicago started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits , the groups fifth No.1 album.

1976: Ex-Procul Harum guitar player Robin Trower's fifth solo album, Long Misty Days , goes gold. His third solo LP, For Earth Below , went gold earlier in the year.

Tuesday December 14

Patty Duke ("Don't Just Stand There") is 58

The late Charlie Rich ("Mohair Sam") is born in 1932

The late Spike Jones ("All I Want For Christmas") is born in 1911

Dinah Washington ("Unforgettable") dies of an accidental overdose of alcohol and pills, 1963

Billy Preston pleads guilty to insurance fraud, 1998

Chad & Jeremy and Don Ho guest on ABC-TV's "Batman" (Catwoman steals the voices of the duo), 1966

The film "Born To Boogie", directed by Ringo Starr and starring Elton John, premieres in London, 1972

Little Richard, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen are among those who perform at a tribute to Frank Sinatra on "Sinatra: 80 Years My Way", on ABC-TV, 1995

December 14:

1959: A report by the Ohio State University Research Center states that though rock & roll is the overwhelming favorite of 14 to 18 year olds, more adults aged 19 to 70 list it as their least favorite form of music.

1968: Marvin Gaye scored his first US No.1 single when "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" started a five week run at the top. It was Marvin's 15th solo hit and also his first UK No.1 single in March 69.

1968: Tommy James and the Shondells' "Crimson & Clover" is released

1969: The Jackson Five made their first network television appearance in the US when they appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show.

1974: David Crosby and Graham Nash perform together in San Francisco at a benefit concert for the United Farm Workers and Project Jonah, a whale protection media project.

1974: Styx' "Lady" is released.

1980: At Yoko Ono's request, at 2 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, John Lennon fans around the world mourn him with ten minutes of silent prayer. In New York over 100,000 people converge in Central Park in tribute and in Liverpool, a crowd of 30,000 gathers outside of St. George's Hall on Lime Street.

1985: James Taylor married actress Kathryn Walker.

1999: Paul McCartney, along with Pink Floyd's David Gilmour and Deep Purple's Ian Paice, performed at the Cavern Club for the first time since his days with the Beatles. The concert is broadcast live over the Internet.

Wednesday December 15

Dave Clark ("Glad All Over") is 62

The late Jesse Belvin ("Goodnight My Love") is born in 1932

The late disk jockey Alan Freed (coined the term "rock 'n' roll") is born in 1922

Cindy Birdsong of the Supremes ("Nathan Jones") is 65

Jerry Wallace ("How The Times Flies") is 76

Rufus Thomas ("Walkin' The Dog") dies in 2001

Jackie Brenston ("Rocket 88") dies in 1979

Jermaine Jackson marries Motown Records founder Berry Gordy, Jr.'s daughter, Hazel, 1973

An intruder who broke into George Harrison's home and stabbed the ex-Beatle is found not guilty by reason of insanity, 2000

Joe Walsh is given an honorary Doctorate of Music from Kent State University in Ohio, 2001

James Brown is sentenced to six years in prison after an interstate car chase with police (he serves more than two years), 1988

The "Peace For Christmas" chaity concert for UNICEF in London features John Lennon, George Harrison, Eric Clapton and Keith Moon, 1969

Grace Slick appears in blackface as the Jefferson Airplane guest on the "Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" on CBS-TV, 1968

The Beach Boys meet Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in Paris and learn transcendental meditation, 1967

The Everly Brothers record "Let It Be Me", 1959

Glenn Yarbrough records "Baby The Rain Must Fall", 1964

December 15:

1962: Bill Wyman made his live debut with The Rolling Stones at Putney Youth Club, London.

1977: The Who perform a secret concert for longstanding fan club members and Jeff Stein's movie cameras at London's Shepperton Studios. The footage appears in Stein's The Kids Are Alright , his feature-length documentary.

1979: Pink Floyd started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with "Another Brick In The Wall, (part 2)".

Thursday December 16

Benny Andersson of ABBA ("Waterloo") is 58

The late Ludwig van Beethoven (composer of Walter Murphy's "A Fifth Of Beethoven") is born in 1770

Nicolette Larson ("Lotta Love") dies of cerebral edema in 1997

The Who disband (until the seemingly unending series of "reunions"), 1983

George Harrison is deported from Germany for being too young to perform with the Beatles there, 1960

Stephen Stills loses a paternity suit filed by a California woman, 1973

The "Saturday Night Fever" film debuts, 1977

Friday December 17

The late Eddie Kendricks ("Keep On Truckin'" and member of the Temptations) is born in 1939

The Beach Boys play for Princess Margaret at London's Royal Albert Hall, 1970

The Supremes open the Houston Astrodome with a concert there, 1965

Carl Perkins writes "Blue Suede Shoes", 1955

Olivia Newton-John appears in the TV movie, "A Mom For Christmas", 1990

Andy Williams records "Love Story", 1970

Saturday December 18

* Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones ("Satisfaction") is 61

* Tiny Tim marries Miss Vicky on NBC-TV's "Tonight Show", 1969

* Fans rush James Brown's limo at Sam Cooke's wake in Chicago, forcing him to leave, 1964

* Rod Stewart leaves Faces in 1975

* Britain's EMI Records rejects the Beatles (though they later sign them), 1961

* S/Sgt. Barry Sadler records "The Ballad Of The Green Berets", 1965

* Sam Cooke records "Twisting The Night Away", 1961

* Christina Aguilera ("Genie in a Bottle") is 24

(Actually, the last one was not on the site I got this from but I found out about it somewhere else.)