Today in Music History

_jr_

November 14th

1663 - Composer Friederich Wilhelm Zachow was born.

1719 - Composer Johann Georg Leopold Mozart was born.

1778 - Composer Johann Nepomuk Hummel was born.

1805 - Composer Fanny Cacilia Mendelssohn Hensel was born.

1900 - Composer Aaron Copland was born.

1921 - In Chicago, IL, on KYW Radio, the first opera by a professional company was broadcast.

1943 - Leonard Bernstein made his debut with the New York Philhamonic when he filled in for the ailing Bruno Walter prior to a nationally broadcast concert. Bernstein was 25 years old and was an assistant conductor at the time.

1944 - Tommy Dorsey and Orchestra recorded "Opus No. 1."

1961 - The Elvis Presley film "Blue Hawaii" premiered.

1970 - Santana's "Black Magic Woman" was released.

1987 - Sonny and Cher sang "I Got You Babe" on the David Letterman show.

1990 - The Who's Pete Townshend confessed his bisexuality to Newsweek.

1992 - John Cascella, keyboardist of John Mellencamp's band, was found dead in his car in Indiana. It is believed that he died of a heart attack.

1995 - The Rolling Stones released their acoustic "Stripped" album.

2000 - The trial of Michael Abram began. He had attacked George Harrison and his wife in their home in Britain on December 30, 1999.

2000 - Marilyn Manson's released "Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death)." The cover of the album was banned by several retail chains due to the cover art. The banning chains released an alternate cover. The cover depicts Manson on a crucifix.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today in

Dick Clark's American Bandstand History

November 14th

1958 - Eddie Cochran performed "C'mon Everybody" on "American Bandstand."

1960 - Wanda Jackson performed "Let's Have a Party" on "American Bandstand."

1964 - Bobby Freeman performed "S-W-I-M" on "American Bandstand."

1964 - Dick & DeeDee performed "The Mountain's High" and "Thou Shalt Not Steal" on "American Bandstand."

1970 - Freda Payne performed "Deeper and Deeper" and "Band of Gold" on "American Bandstand."

November 14

2004 - French film score composer Michel Colombier dies at his home in Santa Monica, Calif., following a six-month battle with cancer. He is 65.

2003 - Jay-Z's "The Black Album," which he says is his final bow, has a rare Friday release Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam.

2000 - As promised, the Offspring give away $1 million of its own money to a lucky fan. Two finalists in the band's online giveaway, where fans who downloaded the song "Original Prankster" were automatically entered, appear on MTV's "Total Request Live" to compete in a trivia contest to determine who will take the prize. 14-year-old Ashley Hitchcock wins, correctly identifying Noodles as the oldest member of the band.

1999 - EMI Music Distribution begins offering retailers a $3 rebate on each unit sold of the latest Garth Brooks album "In... The Life Of Chris Gaines," in order to boost sales. In exchange for the rebate, retailers are asked to lower the price of the Capitol album - which lists for $17.98 on CD - as low as possible.

1997 - Though it's not a sell-out, the Bee Gees' show at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas still manages to gross a stunning $1,681,100. Tickets ranging in price from $50-$300 give the Arena its highest gross of the year.

1995 - Controversial rappers Tha Dogg Pound enter The Billboard 200 chart at No. 1 with "Dogg Food." Rappers rule the week's Top 10 with Cypress Hill's "Cypress Hill III" debuting in third, and Eight Ball and MG debuting at No. 8 with "On Top of the World."

1995 - The Rolling Stones release their acoustic "Stripped" album.

1982 - No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: "Up Where We Belong," Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes. The single wins an Oscar as the theme of "An Officer and a Gentleman."

1972 - No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: "I Can See Clearly Now," Johnny Nash.

1961 - The Elvis Presley film "Blue Hawaii" premieres.

1940 - Freddie Garrity of Freddie & the Dreamers is born in Manchester, England

November 14th

Cornelius Gunther was born.

Jerry Lee Lewis cuts his first record - "End of the Road" b/w "Crazy Arms" for Sun. It is credited to Jerry Lee Lewis and His Pumping Piano.

"Georgia On My Mind," a cover of Hoagy Carmichael's 1930 standard, becomes the first of three #1 pop hits for Ray Charles.

Duane Eddy & the Rebels hit #27 with "Peter Gunn," the Henry Mancini-composed theme song from the TV show of the same name.

Little Willie John hits #10 on the R&B chart and #13 on the pop chart with the King release "Sleep."

Herman's Hermits reach #13 with their first American release "I'm Into Something Good"

Slade releases 'Play It Loud'.

Bread hits #10 with "It Don't Matter To Me".

Slade hits #1 in the UK with "Coz I Love You."

Theme from Shaft (Isaac Hayes) was a hit.

Gary Glittery is at his commercial peak. His Rainbow Theatre concert shows are filmed for the documentary 'Remember Me This Way'.

'Gaucho,' Steely Dan's seventh album – and last new music that will usher from them for 20 years – is released. It yields a Top Ten single, "Hey Nineteen."

Rod Stewart kicks off his first tour in three years, supporting a strong new album ('Tonight I'm Yours') that yields another pair of hits: “Tonight I’m Yours (Don’t Hurt Me)†(#20 U.S., #8 U.K.) and “Young Turks†(#5 U.S., #11).

Mike Post/Larry Carleton hit #10 with "The Theme from 'Hill Street Blues'".

Heaven 17 hits #57 in the UK with "Penthouse and Pavement".

Spandau Ballet hits #30 in the UK with "Paint Me Down".

Soft Cell hits #4 in the UK with "Bedsitter".

Joni Mitchell's first studio album of the Eighties, 'Wild Things Run Fast', is released. Only two more albums will be forthcoming in the decade: 'Dog Eat Dog' (1985) and 'Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm' (1988).

George Clinton releases "Atomic Dog".

Kylie Minogue's "The Loco-motion" is declared the best selling Australia single of the 80s.

Michael Jackson's controversial 11-minute "Black or White" video debuts on television. It is a teaser for 'Dangerous,' his third #1 album in a row and the source of seven more hit singles.

The Allman Brothers Band’s 'Peakin' at the Beacon,' a live album recorded at New York City's Beacon Theater, is released.

Rod Stewart releases 'Human,' the 21st album of his career – not counting best-ofs, compilations and repackagings or his work with the Faces (five albums) and Jeff Beck Group (two albums). Whew!

Monday November 14

Freddie Garrity of Freddie & the Dreamers ("I'm Telling You Now") is 65

Stephen Bishop ("On & On") is 54

Michael Jackson marries his former nurse and the mother of his child (it lasts three years), 1996

Sonny & Cher reunite on "Late Nite with David Lettermen" on NBC-TV, 1987

Cozy Cole begins a 20-week goodwill tour of Africa, sponsored by the U. S. State Department, 1960

The Everly Brothers record "Crying in the Rain", 1961

November 15th

1978 - Echo & the Bunnymen made their performance debut in Liverpool, England.

1956 - Elvis Presley made his acting debut in the premiere of the "Love Me Tender" movie.

1965 - The Rolling Stones made their debut on NBC-TV's "Hullabaloo" television show. The band performed "Get Off My Cloud."

1969 - Janis Joplin was arrested in Tampa, FL on charges of using "vulgar and indecent language" at a concert. All the charges were eventually dropped.

1971 - Grand Funk Railroad released their sixth album, "E Pluribus Funk."

1975 - ABBA were guests on "American Bandstand." They performed "S.O.S." and "I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do."

1978 - Echo & the Bunnymen gave their performance debute at Eric's Club in Liverpool, England.

1988 - Metallica's U.S. tour for "And Justice For All" opened in Toledo, OH, with Queensryche opening.

1990 - David Bowie opened on Broadway in the title role of "The Elephant Man."

1990 - Frank Farian, producer of Milli Vanilli, publicly admitted that Fabrice Morvan and Rob Pilatus never sang a note on the Milli Vanilli album and that they lip-synch when they perform live.

1992 - Ozzy Osbourne performed what he had announced would be his last concert, in Costa Mesa, CA. He did return to live shows.

1997 - Metallica's video for "The Memory Remains" premiered on MTV.

2003 - The city of Augusta, GA, announced that it planned to construct a statue of James Brown and rename a music festival in his honor.

Today in

November 15th

1969 - The Cufflinks performed "Tracey" and "When Julie Come Around" on "American Bandstand."

1969 - Dorothy Morrison performed "All God's Children Got Soul" on "American Bandstand."

1975 - ABBA performed "S.O.S." on "American Bandstand."

1975 - David Ruffin performed " Walk Away From Love" on "American Bandstand."

November 15th

Clyde McPhatter was born.

Clyde McPhatter was born in Durham, NC.

Little Willie John is born in Cullendale, Arkansas.

The film Love Me Tender, which features Elvis Presley in the first of 31 Hollywood movie roles, premieres at the New York Paramount. Two months earlier, on September 9th, he performed the title song on the Ed Sullivan Show to a record viewing audience estimated at 54 million.

Stay (Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs) was a hit.

Donovan hits #5 with "Hurdy Gurdy Man".

The antiwar "Marching on Washington" draws 500,000 protesters. Notable performers include Pete Seeger, Arlo Guthrie, Peter, Paul & Mary, and John Denver. Among the speakers are George McGovern, Eugene McCarthy, Coretta Scott King and Dick Gregory.

I Think I Love You (The Partridge Family) was a hit.

The People's Republic of China becomes an official member of the U.N.

Joan Baez hits #35 with "Diamonds and Rust".

Melissa Manchester hits #30 with "Just Too Many People".

Spandau Ballet hits #5 in the UK with "To Cut a Long Story Short".

Physical (Olivia Newton-John) was a hit.

New Edition, a creation of Maurice Starr's based on the Jackson 5, hits #4 with "Cool It Now".

Mony Mony 'Live' (Billy Idol) was a hit.

MTV and Sony Music Video announce they will launch a new line of home video titles base on MTV's most popular programs. The new line will appear in stores in February 1995.

Moby hits #8 in the UK with "James Bond Theme".

Tuesday November 15

Petula Clark ("Downtown") is 73

The late Clyde McPhatter ("Lover Please") is born in 1932

Anni-Frid Lyngstadt of ABBA ("SOS") is 60

The late Little Willie John ("Sleep") is born in 1937

C. W. McCall ("Convoy") is 77

Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones is hospitalized in Chicago with a 104-degree fever and misses three days of the Stones tour, 1964

"The Bee Gees Special" airs on NBC-TV, 1979

ABC airs a British TV special, "Around The Beatles", 1964

Elvis Presley's "Love Me Tender" film premieres in New York City, 1956

Its use on a "Studio One" drama on CBS-TV makes "Let Me Go, Lover" by Joan Weber a #1 song, 1954

Ringo Starr's spaghetti western movie, "Blindman" debuts in Rome, 1971

The Jefferson Airplane record "Somebody to Love" in 1966

November 16th

1766 - Composer Rodolphe Kreutzer was born.

1895 - Composer Paul Hindemith was born.

1959 - The musical "The Sound of Music" opened.

1973 - David Bowie appeared in his first TV special, "1980 Floor Show," broadcast on NBC's "Midnight Special."

1974 - Stevie Wonder's "Boogie On Reggae Woman" was released.

1978 - The movie version of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" opens. The Bee Gees, Peter Frampton and Billy Preston made their acting debuts in the movie.

1981 - "The Elder" was released by KISS.

1987 - Lenny Kravitz and actress Lisa Bonet were married. They separated in 1990 and divorce in 1993.

1988 - Stan Love, former Beach Boys manager and the brother of lead singer Mike Love, was sentenced to 5 years probation for embezzling more than $300,000 from the band.

1988 - "Smashes, Thrashes & Hits" was released by KISS.

1996 - Lorrie Morgan and Jon Randall were married.

1998 - Roland Alphonso (Skatalites) went into a coma after suffering a seizure on November 2 while onstage at the Key club in West Hollywood, CA.

1998 - It was announced that Spice Girl Emma Bunting "Baby Spice" would appear in a new musical version of "The Sleeping Beauty" for the BBC.

1998 - Kmart launched an online music store, Music Favorites.

Today in

November 16th

1962 - Tommy Roe performed "Susie Darlin'" on "American Bandstand."

1963 - Bobby Bare performed "500 Miles Away from Home" on "American Bandstand."

1968 - Avant-Garde performed "Naturally Stoned" on "American Bandstand."

1974 - Carl Carlton performed "Everlasting Love" on "American Bandstand."

1974 - Bobby Vinton performed "My Melody of Love" on "American Bandstand."

Today in

Beatles History

November 16th

1978 - The movie version of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" opens. The Bee Gees, Peter Frampton and Billy Preston made their acting debuts in the movie.

2004 - The Beatles collection "The Capitol Albums, Vol. 1" was released. The four-CD collection contained the band's 1964 American album releases. "Meet the Beatles", "The Beatles Second Album", "Something New", and "Beatles '65" were digitally prepared from Capitol's vintage album masters and presented in both the original stereo and mono mixes released back in '64.

November 16th

David Bowie hosts an NBC-TV special.

Frank Zappa hits #6 in the US with 'Bongo Fury'.

David Foster hits #15 with "Love Theme from 'St. Elmo's Fire'".

Human (Human League) was a hit.

MTV looks at the current job market for young adults in "Help Not Wanted: An MTV News Special Report." The show examines the harsh economic realities that many of today's young people face as they venture out in the working world.

The Spice Girls' debut album, 'Spice', enters the UK charts at #1.

Wednesday November 16

Chi Coltrane ("Thunder & Lightning") is 57

Garnet Mimms ("Cry Baby") is 71

Mike Love's brother, Stan, is sentenced to five years probation for embezzeling $300,000 from the Beach Boys, 1988

A life-sized statue of Sonny Bono is unveiled in downtown Palm Springs, California, where he once was mayor, 2001

"Sinatra: An American Original" with Walter Cronkite, airs on CBS-TV, 1965

Jay & the Americans record "Let's Lock the Door", 1964

November 18th

1680 - Composer Jean-Baptiste Loeillet was born.

1772 - Composer Prince Louis Ferdinand was born.

1786 - Composer Carl Maria Friedrich Ernst was born.

1836 - Composer Sir William Schwenck Gilbert was born.

1860 - Composer Ignacy Jan Paderewski was born.

1956 - Fats Domino appeared on the Ed Sullivan show and performed his hit "Blueberry Hill."

1964 - The Supremes and The Righteous Brothers appeared on the show "Shindig!"

1970 - Jerry Lee Lewis and wife Myra Brown were divorced in Memphis.

1972 - Danny Whitten, former singer/songwriter for Neil Young's Crazy Horse, died in Los Angeles of a heroin overdose.

1987 - U2 opened for itself by pretending to be a country-rock group called The Dalton Brothers during a concert in Los Angeles.

1988 - Phil Collins made his debut on the big screen starring in "Buster" when it opened.

1990 - Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall were married in Bali, Indonesia.

1990 - The musical revival "Fiddler on the Roof" opened.

1990 - Paul McCartney's birth certificate sold for $18,000 in an auction.

1994 - Cab Calloway died at the age of 86.

1995 - The Rolling Stones become the first act to broadcast a concert on the Internet.

1995 - "Goldeneye" the James Bond movie, opened, featuring a title song by Tina Turner.

1996 - The Metallica single "Mama Said" was released.

1997 - John Denver's last recording, "The Unplugged Collection," was released in the U.S.

1997 - The AC/DC five-CD boxed set, "Bonfire" was released in the U.S.

2001 - ABC aired Britney Spears' first TV concert, "Britney Spears: Live from Las Vegas."

Today in

Beatles History

November 18th

1976 - George Harrison recorded the musical segments for his appearance on "Saturday Night Live." The show aired on November 20.

1990 - Paul McCartney's birth certificate sold for $18,000 in an auction in Houston, TX.

2003 - The album "Let It Be...Naked" was released.

2003 - The CD and DVD "Concert for George" were released.

2003 - The DVD "Lennon Legend - The Very Best of John Lennon" was released.

November 18th

Hank Ballard was born.

Mike Carabello was born.

Ray Charles records "I Got a Woman," a seminal moment in the adaptation of sacred gospel to secular rhythm & blues, in Atlanta, Georgia.

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band hits #9 with "Mr. Bojangles".

Photograph (Ringo Starr) was a hit.

Foreigner hits #2 with "Double Vision".

No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) (Barbra Streisand/Donna Summer) was a hit.

'Led Zeppelin: BBC Sessions,' a double CD of archival live performances on British radio from 1969-71, is released.

Thursday November 17

Gordon Lightfoot ("Sundown") is 67

The late Gene Clark of the Byrds ("Mr. Tambourine Man") is born in 1941

Bob Gaudio of the Royal Teens ("Short Shorts") and the Four Seasons ("Big Girls Don't Cry") is 63

The late Dean Martin, Jr. of Dino, Desi & Billy ("I'm a Fool") is born in 1952

Arthur Conley ("Sweet Soul Music") dies of cancer in 2003

David Crosby of the Byrds and Crosby, Stills & Nash breaks his ankle, leg and shoulder in a motorcycle crash, 1990

Aretha Franklin gives a royal command performance for England's Queen Elizabeth in London, 1980

Meat Loaf collapses onstage in London and undergoes heart surgery to cure an irregular heartbeat, 2003

The Animals record "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", 1964

"A Very Special Olivia Newton-John" airs on ABC, 1976

Elton John records a live performance at a New York City radio station, later released as his "17-11-70" album, 1970

"The Beatles Revolution" documentary airs on ABC-TV, 2000

Cher guests on NBC-TV's "Will &d Grace", 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday November 18

The late Hank Ballard ("Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go") is born in 1927

Doug Sahm of the Sir Douglas Quintet ("She's About a Mover") dies of a heart attack in 1999

Bill Haley marries his pregnant girlfriend, four days after he divorces his first wife, 1952

Mick Jagger and then-wife Jerri Hall separate, 1998

A German Bee Gees concert is cancelled when Barry and Robin Gibb come down with tonsillitis, 1968

The Beatles release "Let It Be…Naked" (minus the Phil Spector embelishments on the original album), 2003

The first live rock concert is streamed on the Internet (twenty minutes of a Rolling Stones concert), 1994

Ricky Nelson records "Stood Up", 1957

The Spiral Starecase begin recording "More Today than Yesterday", 1968

November 21st

Hank Ballard & the Moonlighters hit #6 with "Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go".

Mary Wells his #8 on the R&B charts with the Motown release "Bye Bye Baby."

Dusty Springfield's first solo hit, "I Only Want to Be With You," enters the British chart, ultimately reaching #4. It is also the first song to be played on the BBC's new pop-music show, Top of the Pops. The song rises to #12 in America early in 1964.

"You Should Have Seen the Way He Looked At Me" by the Dixie Cups charts at #39.

The Rascals' debut single, "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore," is released. It is credited to the Young Rascals, as are all of their records through 1967.

Glenn Lamont Goins died.

Queen's collaboration with David Bowie, "Under Pressure," tops the U.K. charts. Surprisingly, it only reaches #29 in the U.S.

Truly (Lionel Richie) was a hit.

'Frank Zappa Meets the Mothers of Prevention,' featuring the epic "Porn Wars," is released.

MTV announces a major public service campaign, "Rock Against Drugs,: in which rock stars talk honestly about their experiences with and the dangers of drugs.

Poison hits #13 "I Won't Forget You".

Eddie Hazel died.

'Road Rock Volume 1,' a live album credited to Neil Young, Friends & Relatives, is released.

Monday November 21

Dr. John ("Right Place, Wrong Time") is 64

Livingston Taylor ("I Will Be in Love with You") is 55

Allan Sherman ("Hello Mudduh, Hello Faddah") dies in 1973

Teddy Randazzo ("The Way of a Clown" and Three Chuckles member) dies in 2003

Alvin Cash ("Twine Time") dies in 1999

Mick Jagger marries Jerri Hall (it lasts eight years), 1990

Joni Mitchell marries her bass player, 1982

John Lennon is by her side as Yoko Ono suffers a miscarriage, 1968

Police arrest Don Henley after discovering drugs and a nude, overdosed, 16 year-old girl at his home, 1980

November 22nd

1709 - Composer Frantisek Benda was born.

1710 - Composer Wilhelm Friedemann Bach was born.

1780 - Composer Conradin Kreutzer was born.

1901 - Composer Joaquin Rodrigo was born.

1913 - Composer Lord Benjamin Britten was born.

1938 - Bunny Berigan and his orchestra recorded "Jelly Roll Blues."

1955 - RCA Records bought the rights to the music of Elvis Presley for $25,000.

1957 - The Miles Davis Quintet debuted with a jazz concert at Carnegie Hall in New York City.

1965 - Bob Dylan and Sara Lowndes were married.

1965 - The musical "Man of La Mancha" opened. It ran for 2,328 performances.

1967 - Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" was released.

1968 - The Beatles released their double album called "The Beatles" (a.k.a. "The White Album").

1982 - The British rock group Japan announced it is breaking up.

1992 - Paul Simon began his first tour of South America in Brazil.

1994 - "The Black Album" was released by Prince.

1995 - Singer Sophie B. Hawkins makes her acting debut on Fox's "Party Of Five".

1997 - Epick Soundtracks was found dead in London at the age of 37.

1997 - INXS lead singer Michael Hutchence was found dead due to suicide by hanging in his hotel room in the Ritz Carlton in Double Bay, Australia. He was 37 years old.

Today in

November 22nd

1957 - Tom & Jerry (Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel) performed "Hey Schoolgirl" on "American Bandstand."

1960 - Conway Twitty performed "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" and "C'est Si Bon" on "American Bandstand."

1969 - The Turtles performed "Love in the City" and "Lady-O" on "American Bandstand."

November 22nd

Tina Weymouth of Talking Heads is born in Coronado, California.

George Clinton forms the Parliaments with fellow classmates at Clinton Place Junior High School in Plainfield, New Jersey.

Are You Lonesome Tonight? (Elvis Presley) was a hit.

President John F. Kennedy is assassinated in Dallas. Lyndon B. Johnson is sworn in as President.

Leader of the Pack (The Shangri-Las) was a hit.

The Partridge Family, a television family that sang and toured, hits #1 with "I Think I Love You" and it says there for three weeks.

Alice Cooper hits #35 "Welcome to My Nightmare".

Jerry Lewis is arrested for drunk driving in Memphis. Later, at three a.m., he appears at Graceland, Elvis Presley's residence, brandishing a pistol and demanding to see Elvis. He is handcuffed and taken to jail.

The self-titled debut album by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers is released. It contains “Breakdown†(#40), their first Top Forty hit.

Midnight Star releases "Freakazoid".

Rush hits #10 in the US with 'Power Windows'.

(I've Had) The Time of My Life (Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes) was a hit.

Tuesday November 22

The late Terry Stafford ("Suspicion") is born in 1941

Marianne Faithfull suffers a miscarriage of Mick Jagger's baby, 1968

Elvis Presley signs with RCA Records (the contract costs RCA an unheard-of $40,000), 1955

Jerry Lee Lewis drives his Rolls Royce into a ditch and is arrested for driving while intoxicated, 1976

Simon & Garfunkel appear (as "Tom & Jerry") on ABC-TV's "American Bandstand", 1957

Elvis Presley's largest-grossing movie, "Blue Hawaii", premieres in 1961

The Beatles second album, "With the Beatles" is released in England, 1963