Today in Music History

_jr_

December 19:

1944: Alvin Lee, guitarist and vocalist for Ten Years After, is born.

1955: Carl Perkins records what will be his biggest pop hit, "Blue Suede Shoes", at Sun Studios in Memphis. The song reaches #2.

1957: Elvis Presley had his draft notice served on him for the US Army.

1964: The Beatles fourth album Beatles For Sale started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK album charts.

1969: Mick Jagger was fined £200 plus 50 guineas costs at Marlborough Magistrates Court for illegal possession of cannabis.

1993: Michael Clarke of The Byrds died of liver failure aged 49.

2000: 10,000 Maniacs guitarist Robert Buck died.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday December 19

Maurice White of Earth, Wind & Fire ("September") is 63

The late Zal Yanovsky of the Lovin' Spoonful ("Summer In The City") is born in 1944

Charlie Ryan ("Hot Rod Lincoln") is 89

Pops Staples of the Staple Singers ("Heavy Makes You Happy") dies in 2000

Michael Clarke of the Byrds ("Mr. Tambourine Man") dies of liver failure in 1993

Ron Wood joins the Rolling Stones, 1974

Neil Diamond's "Christmas in Washington" special airs on NBC-TV, 1992

Dolly Parton's "Nine To Five" film opens in 1980

Carl Perkins records "Blue Suede Shoes", 1955

The Friends of Distinction record "Grazin' In The Grass", 1968

Bobby Darin records "Mack The Knife", 1958

Monday December 20

Bobby Darin ("Mack The Knife") dies after heart surgery in 1973

Charles Randolph Grean ("Quentin's Theme") dies in 2003

Jethro Tull is formed, 1967

Elvis Presley receives his draft notice, 1957

Joe Walsh joins the Eagles, 1975

The Main Ingredient record "Everybody Plays The Fool", 1971

December 20th:

1966 - Chris Robinson, singer with The Black Crowes ("Jealous Again," "She Talks To Angels," "Remedy"), solo artist, was born in Atlanta, Georgia.

1980 - John Lennon's "(Just Like) Starting Over" hit #1 in the U.K. just 12 days after his death.

1992 - Blues singer and guitarist Albert King dies.

December 21:

1940: Frank Zappa is born.

1946: Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys is born.

1969: Diana Ross gives her last performance as a member of the Supremes, on The Ed Sullivan Show.

1974: The Doobie Brothers' "Black Water" is released.

1979: The Eagles, Chicago and Linda Ronstadt perform at a benefit show for the presidential campaign for California governor Jerry Brown, who also happens to be Ronstadt's boyfriend.

1992: Albert King, blues guitarist, died.

Tuesday December 21

The late Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys ("God Only Knows") is born in 1946

Ray Hildebrand of Paul & Paula ("Hey Paula") is 64

Carla Thomas ("Gee Whiz") is 62

Gwen McCrae ("Rockin' Chair") is 61

Betty Wright ("Clean Up Woman") is 51

The late Frank Zappa ("Dancing Fool")is born in 1940

Crosby, Stills & Nash form in 1968

Elvis Presley visits U.S. President Richard Nixon at the White House, 1970

Martha & the Vandellas disband in 1971

Elvis Presley is inducted into the Los Angeles Indian Tribal Council on the day his "Flaming Star" movie opens, 1960

The first solo Janis Joplin concert is in Memphis, Tennessee, 1968

David Crosby of Crosby, Stills & Nash and the Byrds guests on ABC-TV's "Roseanne", 1992

LaVern Baker records "Jim Dandy", 1955

Wednesday December 22

Twin Bee Gees Robin and the late Maurice Gibb ("I Started A Joke") are born in 1949

Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick ("I Want You To Want Me") is 58

Dave Dudley ("Six Days On The Road") dies of a heart attack in 2003

Eric Burdon leaves the Animals, 1968

Isaac Hayes files for bankruptcy in 1976

Ike & Tina Turner are robbed of $86,000 in concert receipts, 1975

The stage version of Harry Nilsson's "The Point" opens in London with Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz of the Monkees in the cast, 1978

Now look, I'm only going to say this once more....the whole reason i started this thread is so that I wouldn't have to look this stuff up every day. Don't make me have to do this again. Annabelle, you're on double secret probation. I neeeed you to do this. No soup for you!!

December 23:

1940 Jorma Kaukonen, guitarist for Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna, is born.

1943 Harry Shearer (aka Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap) is born.

1955 Keyboardist Bruce Hornsby is born.

1965 Guns 'n' Roses guitarist Slash is born.

Events

1964 The Beach Boys make their first appearance on "Shingdig!" singing "Little Saint Nick," "Dance, Dance Dance," "Johnny B. Goode" and "Monster Mash."

1966 BBC-TV broadcasts "Ready, Steady Go!" for the last time after more than three years during which the weekly show was the U.K.'s most popular pop-music television program. The special guests for the farewell show are the Who.

1966 Pink Floyd perform at the opening of a London club called the Night Tripper, which will soon change its name to the UFO Club and become the center of London's psychedelic underground.

1967 The Jimi Hendrix Experience's "Foxy Lady" is released.

1969 Elton John and Bernie Taupin begin writing songs together.

1970 Joni Mitchell, earns her first gold disc as a performer with her third album, Ladies of the Canyon.

1972 Former Grand Funk Railroad manager Terry Knight shows up at a benefit show staged by the group armed with two deputy sheriffs and a 20-foot moving van. Knight has a court order giving him the right to seize and hold $1 million in money or assets pending settlement of several lawsuits between the him and the band. However, since the show can't go on without the equipment, Knight is told by lawmen not to touch the amps or drums until after the concert.

1972 John Lennon's film "Imagine" premiers on national TV.

1974 Just as John Lennon had done three years earlier, George Harrison releases a holiday single, "Ding Dong, Ding Dong." The song only reaches #36.

1978 Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" is released.

Thursday December 23

Eugene Records of the Chi-Lites ("Oh Girl") is 64

The late "Little" Esther Phillips ("Release Me") is born in 1935

Elton John and Bernie Taupin begin writing songs together, 1969

Cat Stevens converts to Islam, changing his name to Yusef Islam, 1977

Chuck Berry is arrested for transporting a minor across a state line foir an immoral purpose, 1959

Simon & Garfunkel donate a million dollars to the Children's Heart Fund, 2003

Jim Croce receives a posthumous #1 record with "Time In A Bottle", 1973

James Brown unsuccessfully sues the producers of the movie "The Commitments? over the use of his image, 1991

The Drifters record "This Magic Moment", 1959

The Champs record "Tequila", 1957

Friday December 24

1941 Robert Allen Zimmerman (Bob Dylan)is born.

1942 Bing Crosby is #1 in the charts with "White Christmas".

It is the biggest selling record of all time (over 30 million) until Elton John's "Candle In The Wind 97".

1944 Patricia Holt (Patti LaBelle) is born.

1954 R&B great Johnny Ace dies (aged 25) while reportedly playing Russian Roulette. 50 years later many still regard his death as suspicious.

1955 Roseanne Cash (daughter of Johnny)is born.

1965 The Beatles "Rubber Soul" goes Gold less than 3 weeks after it's release.

1970 Rolling Stone magazine runs an article on a Bob Dylan

album track "If Dogs Run Free", which claims that one line, if played backwards contains a message about a possible invasion from Mars? (CAN YOU REALLY PLAY A RECORD BACKWARDS ???).

1972 A Miami concert by Manfred Mann's Earth Band is stopped by police after complaints about the volume by neighbours. This leads to a riot by students of the Miami University.

1974 Jazz legend Duke Ellington dies of lung cancer aged 75.

I'll pass the baton here. I really would like to know if it's possible to play a record backwards to see if I've missed out on any "subliminal messages". Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

Friday December 24

The late Lee Dorsey ("Ya Ya") is born in 1924

Mike Curb ("Burning Bridges") is 60

Johnny Ace ("Pledging My Love") dies playing Russian roulette backstage at a Houston concert, 1954

ABBA members Bjorn and Agnetha divorce in 1978

Olivia James Taylor, Carly Simon, Linda Ronstadt and Joni Mitchell go Christmas carolling in Hollywood, 1974

Miami police cut the power to a noisy Manfred Mann concert, causing a two-hour riot, 1972

Tommy James & the Shondells record "I Think We're Alone Now", 1966

Bobby Darin records "Beyond The Sea", 1958

55...it's easy to play a record backwards...you do it by hand. Just put the needle down on the record surgface and rotate the record counter-clockwise until you find the right speed. Just prepare yourself for the disappointment.

Thanks Uncle. I wondered how I could get my turntable to play backward. I don't think I'll risk my precious vinyls. Maybe we could start a thread sometime on some of the supposed advertising and "satanic" messages that are supposed to be contained in some records. I have quite a few attributed to Tipper Gore. Have a great Christmas and Happy New Year my friend. Darryl

Saturday December 25

Jimmy Buffett ("Margaritaville") is 58

The late Chris Kenner ("Land Of 1000 Dances") is born in 1929

Dean Martin ("That's Amore") dies of acute respiratory failure in 1995

Damita Jo (recorded the answer songs "I'll Save The Last Dance For You" and "I'll Be There") dies from respiratory illness, 1998

Paul McCartney announces his engagement to Jane Asher (they break up eight months later), 1967

James Taylor receives his first guitar for Christmas at the age of 12, 1960

Robbie Bachman of Bachman-Turner Overdrive gets his first drum set for Christmas, 1969

Annabelle, you're on double secret probation. I neeeed you to do this. No soup for you!!

Lol, sorry Jr, but my computer has been acting strange. Sometimes it wouldn't let me get on SF and other times it wouldn't let me post. Besides, Crazy Don, Elvish, Old 55 and Edna are doing a great job. :bow:

December 25:

1958: Alan Freed's Christmas Rock & Roll Spectacular opens a ten-day run at the Loew's State Theater in Manhattan with seventeen acts, including Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, the Moonglows, Jackie Wilson, Frankie Avalon, the Everly Brothers and Johnnie Ray.

1964: George Harrison's girlfriend Patti Boyd is attacked by female Beatle fans at one of the groups Christmas shows in London.

1965: Lou Christie's biggest hit, "Lightning Strikes," enters the US Hot 100 where it stays for 15 weeks, eventually giving Christie his only Number One hit.

1965: The Beatles 6th album Rubber Soul started a nine-week run at No.1 on the UK chart.

1965: The Dave Clark Five hit Number One on the U.S. pop chart with "Over and Over.", their only US No.1 single.

1976: The Eagles started a eight-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with Hotel California .