Today in Music History

_jr_

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

December 6:

1956: Peter Buck, guitarist for R.E.M., is born.

1967: The Beatles started a 7-week run at No.1 in the UK with "Hello Goodbye", their 13th No.1 single.

1969: Led Zeppelin made their debut on the US singles chart with "Whole Lotta Love", it went on to make No.4 on the chart and was the first of six top 40 singles for the group.

1973: Steve Miller gets a gold record for The Joker , his most successful LP to date. The title track becomes Miller's first chart-topping hit.

1975: Paul Simon's Still Crazy After All These Years album hits #1.

1980: John Lennon mixes Yoko Ono's "Walking On Thin Ice." It is the last time he would be in a studio.

Tuesday December 7

* The late Harry Chapin ("WOLD") is born in 1942

* Bent Fabric ("Alley Cat") is 80

* Boyd Bennett ("Seventeen") is 80

* Dee Clark ("Hey Little Girl") dies of a heart attack in 1990

* Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys suffers a nervous breakdown on a Los Angeles airplane, 1964

* Eric Burdon disbands the Animals, 1968

* Harry Chapin receives a posthumous Congressional Gold Medal for his work in fighting hunger, six years after his death, 1987

* Michael Jackson testifies in a Chicago courtroom that he, not an Illinois man, wrote "The Girl Is Mine" (he wins), 1984

* The Beatles appear on the British TV show "Jukebox Jury", declaring Elvis Presley's new record, "Kiss Me Quick", a "hit", 1963

* Daughter Nancy Sinatra guests on "Frank Sinatra: A Man & His Music, Part II" on CBS-TV, 1966

:doh: :doh: :doh: Am I stupid... I knew that...!! I just realized after posting my question... We learn that in France too... you know the joke, President Johnson goes to visit President De Gaulle, and when they say good-bye at the airport, Johnson says to De Gaulle: "Oh, very pleasent journey, my friend. And don´t forget, if you have any problem, call us! You got our number: 14-18/41-45"!

December 7:

1963: The Beatles second album With The Beatles started a 21-week stay at No.1 on the UK album chart. It replaced their first album Please Please Me which had been at the top since it's release 30 weeks previously.

1974: Carl Douglas started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with "Kung Fu Fighting". The song was recorded in 10 minutes, started out as a B-side and went on to sell over 10 million copies

1977: inventor Dr. Peter Carl Goldmark was killed in a car crash aged 71. Goldmark invented the long-playing microgroove record in 1945 that went on to revolutionize the way people listened to music.

1979: The Police had their second UK No.1 single with "Walking on the Moon".

1991: U2 went to No.1 on the US album charts with Achtung Baby .

1993: Manic Street Preachers co-manager Philip Hall died from cancer.

Wednesday December 8

Jerry Butler ("For Your Precious Love") is 65

The late Jim Morrison of the Doors ("Hello I Love You") is born in 1943

Johnny Otis ("Willie & The Hand Jive") is 83

Gregg Allman ("Midnight Rider") is 57

The late Sammy Davis, Jr. ("Candy Man") is born in 1925

John Lennon ("Imagine") is shot to death on a New York City street, 1980

Marty Robbins ("A White Sport Coat") dies of a heart attack in 1982

Frank Sinatra, Jr. is kidnapped (but returned safely), 1963

Jimi Hendrix is acquitted of drug charges in a Toronto court, 1969

The Grateful Dead officially disband, four months after the death of Jerry Garcia, 1995

Fabian visits Elvis Presley at Graceland mansion in Memphis and lends Elvis his pants when the King rips his demonstrating karate, 1960

John Denver guests on the Carpenters' ABC-TV special, 1976

Henry Mancini records "Moon River", 1960

Those of us who are old enough will always remember where we were and what we were doing when we heard the news this day in 1980. I'm still numb. John: We're all better off because you walked among us...Thanks Bro.

I learned the new two days after... I was part of a crew shooting a film in Almeria, there was no TV, no radio, nothing... just a hotel with NO telephone... Then I went to London to spend Christmas with my family, my brother lived there and his wife was an actress, their friends knew John Lennon, it was all so sad...

December 8:

1961: "Surfin'," the Beach Boys first recording, is released by Candis Records, a small L.A. based company. The song was written by Brian Wilson and his cousin Mike Love and recorded with Brian's brothers, Carl and Dennis and their friend Alan Jardine -- Carl playing acoustic guitar, Al on double bass and Brian keeping time on a garbage can.

1967: Traffic's Mr. Fantasy LP is released.

1973: Roxy Music had their first UK No.1 album when Stranded went to the top for 1 week.

1979, Styx went to No.1 on the US singles chart with "Babe", the groups only US No.1, a No.6 hit in the UK.

1975: A Night of the Hurricane benefit show at Madison Square Garden brings the Rolling Thunder Revue to a climax. In addition to Bob Dylan and company, Muhammad Ali, Roberta Flack and others show-up. The highlight is when a phone call from "Hurricane" Carter reaches the Garden stage. The show raises $100,000 for legal fees for Carter and alleged accomplice John Artis.

R.I.P. John Lennon

Thursday December 9

Donny Osmond ("Go Away Little Girl") is 47

George Baker ("Little Green Bag") is 60

The late Shirley Brickley of the Orlons ("Wah Watusi") is born in 1944

Sonny Til of the Orioles ("Crying In The Chapel") dies of heart failure in a Baltimore hospital, 1981

Bill Wyman retires from the Rolling Stones, 1992

Jim Morrison of the Doors is arrested for breach of the peace in New Haven, Connecticut, 1967

The Supremes' and the Temptations' "TCB (Takin' Care Of Business)" special airs on NBC-TV, 1968

Bobby Darin is the mystery guest on TV's "What's My Line", 1962

The first Supremes album, "Meet The Supremes", is released in 1963

Friday December 10

Chad Stuart of Chad & Jeremy ("Yesterday's Gone") is 61

Susan Dey of the Partridge Family (though she never actually sung) is 52

Otis Redding and members of the Bar-Kays die in a plane crash near Madison, Wisconsin, 1967

Bill Deal of the Rhondels ("I've Been Hurt") dies of a heart attack in 2003

Chuck Negron is fired from Three Dog Night by Danny Hutton and Cory Wells, 1985

Frank Zappa breaks a leg as he is thrown into the orchestra pit by a London Fan's angry boyfriend while in concert there, 1971

December 10:

1967: The Steve Miller Blues Band, an unrecorded San Francisco group signs with Capitol Records for an unheard of $750,000. In doing so, the group drops the "Blues" from its name.

1984: The group assembled by Bob Geldof, Band-Aid releases the single "Do They Know It's Christmas". The proceeds of the song will go to famine relief. And Bob Geldof is eventually knighted on behalf of his efforts.

1991: Legendary rock & roll deejay, and in fact the man who coined the phrase "Rock & Roll", Alan Freed is posthumously awarded a Hollywood Walk of Fame Star.

1999: Rick Danko guitarist and singer with The Band died in his sleep.