Today in Music History

_jr_

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumdeedeedum...here's your fix jr ::

November 27

1965 - The Lovin' Spoonful's "You Didn't Have To Be So Nice" was released.

1967 - Capitol Records released the Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour" album in the U.S.

1970 - George Harrison released his solo album "All Things Must Pass."

1976 - Queen's "Somebody To Love" was released.

1997 - Bjork was admitted to the hospital in Reykjavik, Iceland, with a high fever. The singer was forced to cancel many upcoming dates due to a kidney infection.

And the hate mail has been pouring in.

If anyone takes anything I post here seriously, you need to learn to lighten up. And no, I won't stop changing posts that way. It lightens the mood as long as people understand that is the porpoise. I will point out what I change and I will add a smiley of some sort, so please get used to it.

I tried to be a gentleman about this, and keep it discreet, but since you feel it necessary to drag it onto the boards, I will respond once.

I realize you've had 60,000 posts elsewhere, but here, you have less than 200. You're the new guy. Deal with it.

And telling everyone they need to learn to lighten up isn't doing your two star rating any favors. Quite the contrary, my friend, it is you who needs to do the learning. You don't come into a forum as a n00b, and tell everyone they're going to have to learn to get used to the way you do things.

As far as changing the post to lighten the mood "as long as everyone understands that is the purpose", your condescending tone does nothing to help your cause, as well as the offhand dig at the intelligence of the people here. We all 'get it'. There are no dummies here.

Plus, I'm sure you'd be courteous enough to ask the poster if it was ok before you took the liberty of altering their words. I know you're not that inconsiderate as to think just because you want to make a witty remark, that you can do whatever you want with another's post. Right?

You, appaerntly, are the only one that doesn't get it, as evidenced by your relentless drive to run the show since you arrived.

You're one fish in this pond. And a new fish, at that. If anyone needs to get used to anything, it's you, my friend.

That's all you'll hear from me on the subject.

Carry on.

Jr, I like the way you handle confrontations. You're so upfront but polite and do it without getting into a name calling battle. I have the utmost respect for you.

And I think we should change this post to:

Suzy's Music Facts For The Day... :laughing:

The Google Goddess does us so many favors, and yet when she has a question for us we just can't seem to find the answer. The peasants are ashamed... :puppyeyes:

JR said n00b and he knew what it meant. JR is learning the l337 speak! ;) Next he'll be saying teh ghey and there'll be no stopping him..... :laughing:

JR is such a gentleman. ::

And Windy, we never see you much these days. We miss you you know! :puppyeyes:

And Aaron, it would only be me who has such obscure requests that even I can't find the answers to! :laughing:

I'm not quite sure who you're referring to Old55?

I've stuck around through religious arguments, political debates, nasty comments, hijacking of threads and even though this is only a bunch on random people sitting behind a keyboard and a screen in random locations, whether we like it or not - we are all still human and we all form a part of this community. It would be sad to see members leave because of others disagreements.

Stick around for the main purpose of the site - the love of music and musical knowledge. We've all got alot to share and alot to learn...

:)

Where the heck are the posts for the 26th? I read this thread first every day, and now....nothing. Get a guy hooked, then cut him off. DEALERS! PUSHERS! That's what you are!

...those are from nov. 26, jr... sorry, I didn´t write it on top.

1940- Percy Sledge is born

1946- Bev Bevan, ELO´s drummer, is born.

1968- "White Album" (Beatles) is released.

1969- John Lennon returns his MBE to the Queen.

2004-And Annabelle keeps on rocking!

Stick around for the main purpose of the site - the love of music and musical knowledge. We've all got alot to share and alot to learn...

Thanks Angel. I took a bit out of my post in case the person I was referring to saw it. I don't really want to hurt his feelings. :angel:

Jr, I like the way you handle confrontations. You're so upfront but polite and do it without getting into a name calling battle. I have the utmost respect for you.

And I think we should change this post to:

Suzy's Music Facts For The Day... :laughing:

The Google Goddess does us so many favors, and yet when she has a question for us we just can't seem to find the answer. The peasants are ashamed... :puppyeyes:

Very much agree with you, dear addict. jr and suzie are simply too much. We owe them mucho respect and LOVE! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :coolio: :coolio:

By the way, I can´t post anything that happenned in a day such as today for I have my books home and I don´t feel like googling...

Saturday November 27

The late Jimi Hendrix ("Foxey Lady") is born in 1942

The late Eddie Rabbitt ("I Love A Rainy Night") is born in 1944

Barbara Acklin ("Love Makes A Woman") dies of pneumonia in 1998

Mick Jagger's erratic driving costs him a sixteen pound fine, 1964

Stevie Wonder joins Paul McCartney onstage at Paul's Los Angeles concert to sing "Ebony & Ivory", 1989

"Grease" opens on Broadway, 1972

Brian Wilson appears on NBC-TV's "Saturday Night Live", 1976

November 28

1944 - The MGM movie musical "Meet Me in St. Louis," starring Judy Garland opened in New York.

1964 - Willie Nelson made his debut on the Grand Ole Opry.

1970 - George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" was released.

1970 - Elton John's "Your Song" was released.

1974 - Elton John and John Lennon sang a duet of "I Saw Her Standing There" at Madison Square Garden in New York. The show was John Lennon's last stage appearance.

1979 - Ringo Starr's (Beatles) home in Los Angeles, CA, burned down.

1984 - Prince's "I Would Die 4 U" became the fourth single from the album "Purple Rain."

1989 - Prince's song "Scandalous," from the Batman Soundtrack, was released.

1990 - In Los Angeles, law enforcement officials announced that there was not enough evidence to prosecute Axl Rose for assault on his neighbor. The charge was the Rose had hit her over the head with a wine bottle.

1992 - The HBO cable channel debuted "Neil Diamond's Christmas Special."

2000 - About nine million people watched a Madonna concert over the Internet. The 29-minute, six-song event was performed at London's Brixton Acedemy in front of about 2,800 people. According to MSN.com the show set a record for such events.

November 28:

1949: Paul Shaffer is born.

1960: Elvis Presley started a six week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with "Are You Lonesome Tonight", his third US No.1 of 1960. It reached No.1 in the UK in January the following year.

1963: "She Loves You" by The Beatles was back at No.1 for the second time on the UK singles chart.

1970: Bob Dylan went to No.1 on the UK chart with the album New Morning

1993: Steppenwolf drummer Jerry Edmonton was killed in a car crash. (1969 US No.2 & UK No.30 single "Born To Be Wild").

Sunday November 28

Bruce Channel ("Hey! Baby") is 64

R.B. Greaves ("Take A Letter, Maria") is 60

Randy Newman ("Short People") is 61

Motown Records founder Berry Gordy, Jr. is 75

Don Addrissi of the Addrissi Brothers ("We've Got To Get It On Again") dies of cancer in 1984

Ringo Starr's Los Angeles home burns down, 1979

Aretha Franklin sues a tabloid for $50 million over their story claiming she has a drinking problem, 2001

John Lennon's last stage appearance is at an Elton John concert in New York's Madison Square Garden, 1974

"Neil Diamond's Christmas Special" debuts on HBO, 1992

"Elvis Lives" (a tribute to the King) airs on NBC-TV, 2002

November 29

1963 - The Beatles' fifth single "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was released in Britain.

1968 - The Who released their first concert record, "The Who Sell Out."

1969 - John Lennon was convicted of possession of cannabis and fined $360 in London. Yoko Ono, who was arrested with Lennon on October 18, was cleared of charges.

1976 - Jerry Lee Lewis shot his bass player, Norman "Butch" Owens, twice in the chest while trying to hit a soda bottle. Lewis was charged with shooting a firearm within the city limits.

1977 - "Alive II" was released by KISS.

1979 - The original four members of KISS performed their last show together until 1996 when they reunited for a makeup tour.

1979 - Ray Smith committed suicide.

1979 - Anita Pallenburg was cleared of murder charges in the shooting death of her young male companion. She was Keith Richards' common-law wife.

1979 - Paul Simon filed two lawsuits against his record label in an attempt to leave them.

1982 - Metallica played their first headlining show. They played the song "Whiplash" for the first time. Exodus was the opening act.

1992 - U2's first TV special, called "U2's Zoo TV Outside Broadcast," aired on Fox-TV.

1993 - Metallica released the box set "Binge & Purge." It contained three CDs, three videos and a book.

Alot of interesting legal and illegal things happening on this day! Seemed to be the day of great troubles for alot of musicians!

Huh? The Who Sell Out isn't a concert album.

The "Sell Out" refers to the record's funny bogus jingles for 'Odor-o-no' and 'Heinz Baked Beans', etc.

Apologies Bazooka, I do stand corrected and guilty of a typo. I read "concept album", yet my fingers felt it necessary to show me up and type "concert album". Sorry for the incorrect information.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The Who Sell Out (1967) is The Who's third album. It is a concept album, formatted as a collection of unrelated songs interspersed with faux commercials and public service announcements. The album purports to be a broadcast by pirate radio station Radio London.

(Part of the intended irony of the title was that The Who was actually making commercials during that period of their career, some of which are included as bonus tracks on the remastered CD.)

The album came during a period when The Who was experimenting with psychedelic rock.