Today in Music History

_jr_

ot -

Oh Man! Uncle Joe - what a song :)

4 Deuces - WPLJ (white port & lemon juice)

As I recall The Four Deuces recorded that song for a radio commercial. I thought it was for a wine store but hey, maybe it was for WPLJ radio?

Pour me another, brother.

Make it happen, Captain.

Do it to it, Pruitt.

Oh, waiter!

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

November 21

1963 - The Elvis Presley film "Fun in Acapulco" premiered.

1975 - Elton John received a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame.

1978 - Prince's second single "Just As Long As We're Together" was released.

1980 - A one-hour documentary film, "Van Morrison in Ireland," was premiered at London's National Film Theater.

1983 - In Los Angeles, movie theatres premiered Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video.

1988 - "The Delicate Sound Of Thunder" by Pink Floyd wa

1991 - Aerosmith made a guest appearance on an episode of the Fox TV show "The Simpsons" called "Flaming Moe's."

1995 - The "Beatles Anthology I" set a first-day sales record, selling 450,000 units.

1995 - Green Day singer Billie Joe Armstrong was arrested and fined $141 for dropping his pants at a concert in Milwaukee, WI.

Seems there was a whole lot going on on this day!

As I recall The Four Deuces recorded that song for a radio commercial. I thought it was for a wine store but hey, maybe it was for WPLJ radio?

Uncle Joe,

Living in the era answers 99% of the questions, that's for sure. I always thought it was just another song about life in the big city... But I was just a kid growing up when this song came out. The first time I heard it wasn't until 1980. There's very little written about this song. :: (snappin' my fingers graemlin)

21 November

50 Years ago today Eddie Fisher (Carrie/ Princess Leia's Dad - her real one, not Darth Vader) is #1 in the US with "I Need You Now". He is also the most popular Artist of 1954 ahead of Patti Page and The Four Aces.

Australian #1s this day;

10 years ago: Always/ Bon Jovi

15 " " : If I Could Turn Back Time/ Cher

20 " " : I Just Called To Say I love You/ Stevie Wonder

Doesn't Time Fly ! CAN'T WAIT FOR THE 22ND. :angel:

1973: Keith Moon collapses twice during the first date of the Who's U.S. tour, in San Francisco. First, he falls over his set during "Won't Get Fooled Again." Then after being tended to backstage, Moon plays for another ten minutes before he's carried off again. So, Pete Townsend asks for a volunteer from the crowd to replace him and a 19 year old came up and finished the show. The kid was Scott Halpin, who took a shot of brandy and sat down at his idol Moon's drum kit. Townsend counted off and Halpin began drumming.

That's awesome!

November 21...

1960: Ray Charles has four hits in the Hot 100: "Georgia on My Mind" at #5, "Ruby" at #61, "Hard Hearted Hannah" at #66 and "Come Rain or Come Shine" (used as the theme song of the 1983 film King of Comedy) at #95.

1967: Decca Records releases the Who's album, "The Who Sell Out".

1982: Joni Mitchell marries her bassist and producer Larry Klein in Malibu.

1988: Jimmy Page begins his first ever solo tour at The Hummingbird, Birmingham, appearing with John Miles and Jason Bonham.

2003: An acoustic guitar on which the late Beatle George Harrison learned to play fetches £276,000 at a London auction. The Egmond guitar was originally bought for Harrison by his father for £3.50. Another item auctioned was a signed invitation to the post-première celebrations for the Beatles' Hard Days Night film, which went for £17,250.

November 21

1974 After years of saying he wouldn't, Marty Balin joins the Jefferson Starship on stage at the Winterland in San Francisco.

1980 A one hour documentary film, "Van Morrison in Ireland," featuring shots of the singer on-stage in Belfast and Dublin as well as offstage, is premiered at London's National Film Theater.

1980 Eagles drummer/vocalist Don Henley is arrested in Los Angeles after paramedics treat a nude sixteen year-old girl suffering from drug intoxication at his home. Henley is charged with unlawful possession of marijuana, cocaine and Quaaludes and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

1983 Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video premiers in L.A. movie theatres.

1988 Pink Floyd release their first live album, "The Delicate Sound Of Thunder".

1990 Mick Jagger marries his girlfriend of 10 years, model Jerry Hall, on the island of Bali.

1995 Green Day singer Billie Joe Armstrong is arrested for dropping his pants at a concert in Milwaukee. He is fined $141.

Born on this date:

1941 - Dr. John

1965 - Bjork

Died on this date:

1995 - Matthew Ashman (Adam and the Ants/Bow Wow Wow), age 33

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Sunday, November 21

Dr. John ("Right Place, Wrong Time") is 63

Livingston Taylor ("I Will Be In Love With You") is 54

Allan Sherman ("Hello Mudduh, Hello Faddah") dies in 1973

Mick Jagger marries Jerry Hall (it lasts eight years), 1990

Joni Mitchell marries her bass player, 1982

John Lennon is by her side as Yoko Ono suffers a miscarriage, 1968

The Supremes appear before Queen Elizabeth at the royal variety show in London, 1968

Police arrest Don Henley after discovering drugs and a nude, overdosed 16 year-old girl at his home, 1980

November 22

1938 - Bunny Berigan and his orchestra recorded "Jelly Roll Blues."

1955 - RCA Records bought the rights to the music of Elvis Presley for $25,000.

1957 - The Miles Davis Quintet debuted with a jazz concert at Carnegie Hall in New York City.

1965 - The musical "Man of La Mancha" opened. It ran for 2,328 performances.

1967 - Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" was released.

1968 - The Beatles released their double album called "The Beatles" (a.k.a. "The White Album").

1982 - The British rock group Japan announced it is breaking up.

1992 - Paul Simon began his first tour of South America in Brazil.

1994 - "The Black Album" was released by Prince.

1997 - Epick Soundtracks was found dead in London at the age of 37.

1997 - INXS lead singer Michael Hutchence was found dead due to suicide by hanging in his hotel room in the Ritz Carlton in Double Bay, Australia. He was 37 years old.

November 22: Today is Saint Cecilia's Feast Day. She is the patron saint of Music (probably even punk and rap). I awoke on this day 41 years ago to hear on my transistor radio that John Kennedy was dead. I was filled with an incredible sadness, even though I'm Australian. :angel:

How do you celebrate this day in Australia? Is it a holiday or a special occasion? I've never heard of it before. :)

Hi Angel and Soulgirl. My wife and Big kids (except the eldest one, son-in-law and our 2 grandchildren, who unfortunately live over 500 miles from us) celebrated it with me a day early last night. I celebrated today by playing the Beatles' "When I'm 64". It's not really a well known day. :) :angel:

November 22: Today is Saint Cecilia's Feast Day. She is the patron saint of Music

It makes you wonder what the Simon & Garfunkel song "Cecilia" was all about. Was it addressed to some mystery lover or was it addressed to his muse. Listen to the words again and I think you'll agree it's the latter!

EarthAngel -- 2004: The Japanese rock group Britain announced it's formation :( ::

Cheers for that Kevin! Who woulda thought huh! :laughing:

Nov. 22, 2004. Earth-Angel is hired by the Rolling Stone Magazine to see if she can fix a little all the mess they´re doing. Chairman dclares: "Susie knows a lot!"

:: Ah, then I could really be unleashed on Google! :googly: