Today in Music History

_jr_

This almost feels out of place, in between all the counting and alphabet threads, but here goes. I just wanted to start a thread where people could learn some things about music. Hopefully, this thread will last a spell, and everyone will contribute.

The only rule is your bit of information has to deal with music. Births, Deaths, releases, etc. Anything you'd like.

I just like learning, cause I'm a geek.

On this day, Noveber 16th:

1955 ~ Johnny Cash appears on the charts for the first time with the single "Cry,cry,cry"

1973 ~ John Lennon releases the album "Mind Games"

1987 ~ Lenny Kravitz marries Lisa Bonet

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love this idea jr (why can i never think up of good thread ideas??!)

1918 - "Oh How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning" hits #1 on the pop singles chart by Arthur Fields.

1959 - "High School U.S.A." by Tommy Facenda peaked at #28 on the pop singles chart.

1971 - Led Zeppelin's debut, actually released in early 1969, finally goes gold. By this time, the group is getting ready for their fourth album, "Led Zeppelin IV." It contains the classic "Stairway to Heaven."

1974 - "Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)" by Reunion peaked at #8 on the pop singles chart.

apparently november 16th is also that lisa bonet person's birthday (b. 1967). i would never marry someone on my birthday! what if i didn't work out, it would ruin your birthday forever!!

November 16...

1968: The Jimi Hendrix Experience went to No.1 on the US album chart with Electric Ladyland

1974: John Lennon was at No.1 in the US singles chart with "Whatever Gets You Through The Night"

2002: Texan multi-billionaire David Bonderman hired The Rolling Stones to play at his 60th birthday party held at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas for somewhere between $7-$11 million.

1978 - The movie version of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" opens. The Bee Gees, Peter Frampton and Billy Preston made their acting debuts in the movie.

1981 - "The Elder" was released by KISS.

1988 - Stan Love, former Beach Boys manager and the brother of lead singer Mike Love, was sentenced to 5 years probation for embezzling more than $300,000 from the band.

1988 - "Smashes, Thrashes & Hits" was released by KISS.

1998 - Roland Alphonso (Skatalites) went into a coma after suffering a seizure on November 2 while onstage at the Key club in West Hollywood, CA.

1970 - Elton John recorded an album live, on what was WABC-FM in New York City. It marked the first time that a concert was aired live and recorded for release as aired. The LP was titled, 11/17/70

11-17-70 is a great album. Elton's music up until then was kind of reserved as compared to the music he played that evening 34 years ago. If you like his early stuff you will not be disappointed with this album if you never listened to it.

His "Take Me To The Pilot" and "Burn Down The Mission" are 2 great examples of his piano prowess when he let loose and pounded on the ivories. "Burn Down The Mission" is approximately 15+ minutes long and one of the best live songs I have ever heard played on an album!

I am not so sure of the show appearing on ABC radio in NY. I thought it was NBC radio. I grew up in the Bronx during that time and thought I listened to NBC that night. I will have to check on that. I do know the radio station is mentioned immediately on the album. Will listen to it later and get back here about that.

It was because of that show that evening that I instantly became an EJ fan. I have been to his concerts more than 20 times since then with my first still being the best (Thanksgiving, 1974) when John Lennon made his last stage appearance anywhere.

1974 - ABBA began their first tour of Europe. It was also their first tour outside of Sweden.

1990 - David Crosby broke his left leg, ankle and shoulder in a motorcycle accident in Los Angles, CA.

1997 - Metallica released the album "ReLoad."

1998 - Tori Amos released a compilation of her videos, "Tori Amos: The Complete Collection: 1992-1998".

1998 - The three soundtracks were released for the animated film "The Prince of Egypt."

November 17 Birthdays: 1938 Gordon Lightfoot "Sundown", "If You Could Read My Mind", "Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald"; 1941 Gene Clark founding member of the Byrds; 1942 Bob Gaudio of the Royal Teens "Short Shorts" and later keyboard player with the Four Seasons; 1952 Dean Martin Jr. * 1958 Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues" enters the Charts. :angel:

I am not so sure of the show appearing on ABC radio in NY. I thought it was NBC radio. I grew up in the Bronx during that time and thought I listened to NBC that night. I will have to check on that. I do know the radio station is mentioned immediately on the album. Will listen to it later and get back here about that.

I think it was WPLJ - FM :angel:

16 november 1983- Boy George opens his first European tour in Madrid, Spain.

Sue, where do you get that much info! I begin to think you´re a music journalist and you posted your daughter´s avatar!!! :coolio: :coolio: :coolio: I have all my files at home, tomorrow I´ll post some good ones...

Nov 17th (we've got a time delay here - when it's today in America, it's tomorrow in Australia - or something like that) :D

1967 - Pink Floyd release their 3rd UK single "Apples and Oranges". It bombs.

1979 - Jethro Tull bass player John Glascock dies at the ripe old age of 26 after open heart surgery.

2004 - I've got a book called This Day In Rock - I knew it would come in handy one day!

November 17th:

1956 - Elvis Presley's single "Love Me Tender" hit #1 in the U.S.

1967 - Beatles and Co. was renamed Apple Music Limited.

1988 - James Brown, Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley and B.B. King played before 10,000 people in Rome to raise funds to vaccinate African children. The show was internationally televised.

1995 - Jamaica honoured Bob Marley with gold and silver coins. The reggae legend died of cancer in 1981.

16 november 1983- Boy George opens his first European tour in Madrid, Spain.

Sue, where do you get that much info! I begin to think you´re a music journalist and you posted your daughter´s avatar!!! :coolio: :coolio: :coolio: I have all my files at home, tomorrow I´ll post some good ones...

Aaah, Edna, I remember the first time I recommended Google. It has always served me well :: I remember telling you about it when you asked for lyrics to "rock-a-bye baby" all those months ago. :thumbsup: Memories.... :puppyeyes:

18 November:

1956 - Fats Domino appeared on the Ed Sullivan show and performed his hit "Blueberry Hill."

1972 - Danny Whitten, former singer/songwriter for Neil Young's Crazy Horse, died in Los Angeles of a heroin overdose.

1990 - Paul McCartney's birth certificate sold for $18,000 in an auction.

1995 - The Rolling Stones become the first act to broadcast a concert on the Internet.

1995 - "Goldeneye" the James Bond movie, opened, featuring a title song by Tina Turner.

1996 - The Metallica single "Mama Said" was released.

1997 - The AC/DC five-CD boxed set, "Bonfire" was released in the U.S.