Blink 182 - I miss you

Gaz7

Can anyone clear up the meaning behind the lyrics in this song for me? I know the first verse refers to a movie (halloween at christmas or something?) but i haven't seen the movie so i don't know the link, apart from jack and sally being two characters in it.

What about the rest of the song? I've also heard it has a dark and twisted meaning, which i can understand when you listen to the lyrics, but i don't know what?

Anyone?

Gareth :)

That's great, thanks :)

Is that what the whole song is based around though? I thought it was just the first verse...?

If so, do you know the meaning behind lines such as 'hear your voice of treason'?

thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

its not to do with the nightmere b4 xmas well it is but the line actally refers to travis and his gf he's sayin that they can have the fairy tale relationship and nethinks possible (halloween @ xmas) then it gose on to say plz dnt let this eva end which shows he dusnt wanna brk up then he gose on to say i miss u lol b4 ne1 ses travis is the drummer i no am not stoopid just wot its about i sore an interviwe on mtv2 where he was talkin bout it :drummer: <<<

personaly i think it dosent have any meaning to the movie either sept what zip said part of it. "dont waste your time on me your already the voice inside my head" is realy confusing to me too but i got hes tellin her to give up cause hes already over it while saying he still misses her

guys are so flipin like that :headphones:

• 1 month later...

one portion of the lyrics that totally boggled my mind was "And as I stared I counted/The webs from all the spiders/Catching things and eating their insides/Like indecision to call you"

now perhaps am i just not intelligent enough to understand what the hell they are talking about or does this not make any sense and makes even less sense when taken in the context of the song? someone please help me before i go insane pondering what this could possibly mean. ::

The song is about a guy who is heart broken over his wife having cheating on him. Hello there the Angel from my Nightmare. That is him thinking of his wife, her cheating on him has created a nightmare. He goes on talking about being a victim, that she is a shadow in the background of the morgue, which means she is killing him. The Jack and Sally stuff is him saying he thought everything was great and doesn't know why this has happened.

The second verse is him wanting his wife to come back to him because he misses her. That's why she's the voice inside his head. When something like this happens to you its destroys your life and becomes something that ingulfs all your time thinking about it.

The creeping and the hauting is her doing this behind his back and the webs from all the spiders is him thinking back about things that he missed, things that he could have caught. These things will eat you inside and that's what he says. The voice of treason is talking to her while he knows she is with someone else. That's why he wants her to come home and stop the pain tonight!

Hope this clears it up for you. I have had this happen so I look at the song differently. :thumbsdown:

• 2 weeks later...

Jon, they're Emily's words, not mine! The meaning behind them probably varies depending on the beliefs of the person reading them. :) The phrase is on a keychain my Nana gave me which I always have with me. To me it means this life on Earth is relatively short so don't waste it, enjoy the simple things and be the best person you can be along the way.

• 15 years later...
On 3/18/2004 at 12:57 PM, Gaz7 said:

Can anyone clear up the meaning behind the lyrics in this song for me? I know the first verse refers to a movie (halloween at christmas or something?) but i haven't seen the movie so i don't know the link, apart from jack and sally being two characters in it.

What about the rest of the song? I've also heard it has a dark and twisted meaning, which i can understand when you listen to the lyrics, but i don't know what?

Anyone?

Like most artists, blink-182 have been rather cryptic about telling people what the song is about. Guitarist/vocalist, Tom DeLonge, said that the song was about vulnerability and being a guy trying to tell a girl that he loves her. Part of bassist/vocalist Mark Hoppus' verse—the Nightmare Before Christmas line—is actually from drummer, Travis Barker. "We can live like Jack and Sally if we want." A haunting refrain about a loving couple living in a sinister world. One could be forgiven for wondering what demons Travis Barker was wrestling with at the time.The song's more about the vulnerability and kind of heart-wrenching pain you feel when you're in love and when you're a guy and you're trying to tell a girl, 'Don't waste your time coming and talking to me because, in my head at least, you probably already gave me up a long time ago.

— Tom DeLonge (former blink-182 Guitarist/Vocalist)