does the flute "poison" rock?

cpride09

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If musicianship or instrumental virtuosity counts for anything in rock & roll, then one cannot discredit Ian Anderson because he doesn't pluck at a bass or some other stringed instrument. This man's flying fingered tonal accuracy and vanguard musical stylings belong alongside any other groundbreaking event in a genre noted for pushing the boundaries of convention.

I couldn't imagine Stairway to Heaven without the flute. Nor Strange Way by Firefall. How about the flute in many of The Marshall Tucker Band's songs?

There're no rules when it comes to playing music. Every instrument has it's place, depending on the musician.

Although, the subjective opinion of the individual will sometimes limit their own appreciation of variety.

This discussion reminds me of individuals that claim the keyboard poisons rock. I guess they've never heard Deep Purple, Queen, Traffic, Boston, ELP, Styx, Yes, Foreigner, etc., etc.

Why even the jaw harp has it's place. Just listen to the intro to Black Sabbath's Sleeping Village.

To mentally quarantine an instrument is basically the action of a closed mind. Anyone that claims an instrument poisons rock simply has limited tastes.

A shame because there is much music to appreciate, music which integrates a variety of instruments.

Rock should never have limitations or better yet, music shouldn't be held back.

I didn't think there was a flute in Stairway To Heaven.

I forgot who mentioned it, but California Dreamin' does have a really cool flute solo. Also, I haven't heard anything else by either of them, but I have the Dan Fogelberg/ Tim Weisberg album "Twin Sons of A Different Mother." I really like that one, and it has some great flute.

I couldn't imagine Stairway to Heaven without the flute. Nor Strange Way by Firefall. How about the flute in many of The Marshall Tucker Band's songs?

There're no rules when it comes to playing music. Every instrument has it's place, depending on the musician.

Although, the subjective opinion of the individual will sometimes limit their own appreciation of variety.

I believe that?s a recorder but yeah same family