Harold And Maude

Ollie

(After reading the PAT GARRETT and HOW I WON THE WAR threads, I was thinking that HAROLD & MAUDE might be an interesting movie to recommend.)

This film showed up in 1971 and reviews called it 'one of the best scored films'. When I saw it, I realized how great contemporary music could make a film all the more potent.

This is a pretty quirky film, but I would still nominate this film as Best Scored Film and Best Film Editing, particularly because of the climactic final scene, which splits the screen into 3 time viewpoints (a "before", a "during" and an "after" view, all side-by-side). Then to match this climax with Cat Stevens' TROUBLE and that closing montage becomes indelibly linked.

But with happier results than David Lynch and "Blue Velvet"!

There were five or six popular films in the few years preceding H&M that used split screens to impress viewers, but many of those were masturbatory - I can't imagine anyone but the film-maker getting much pleasure from them. (I'm thinking of ZABRISKI POINT, HOTEL and STANLEY SWEETHEART.) At about the same time (1970?), the concert film MAD DOGS & ENGLISHMEN used exploding splits far better than even WOODSTOCK to achieve the many-persons-in-crowd viewpoint.

I'd recommend HAROLD & MAUDE for the final 10-minutes alone, but I think the film's entire score mates just about perfectly with its hosting scenes. This was a film that stayed in local theatres for more than a year on its initial release. Just a very different age for the theatre business - flop-films routinely stuck around for weeks to see if they'd catch on. HAROLD & MAUDE did, as did its Bud Cort predecessor, the even quirkier BREWSTER McCLOUD which was Shelley Duvall's intro.)

Great recommendation, Harold & Maude is one of those little known gems. My favorite scene is when Harold gives Maude a gift of a pin of some sort, she looks at it, says something to the effect of "Thank you, how lovely," and then chucks it into the lake they happen to be standing next to. The funny part is what she says when he asks why she just did that.... I'll let you watch the movie to find out :) I saw it so long ago I don't really even remember the music but its a movie that's definitely worth renting!

My first viewing of the film left me humming some of the tunes. But after seeing it again and again, I was reminded that this is a film that has three great sililoquoys - one, you mentioned, is where Harold gives her the diamond ring. And Maude throws it into the bay {"...so I'll always know where it's at").

The other one is Maude's speech about Dreyfuss on Devil's Island, where Dreyfuss is remarking on the beautiful birds he sees on the beach at sunset. Some pal tells him they're only horrible ol' seagulls, but "to Dreyfuss, they were always beautiful birds."

The third is her "go out and love someone else" speech at the end.

Also, the very young Tom Skerritt gets one of his first on-screen performances as the ultra-macho motorcycle cop who's quite befuddled after his 2nd encounter with H&M.

I'm just glad that Cat Stevens waited 25 years before offering to pay killers to murder a certain author. That event still leaves his music on store shelves instead of on mine.

• 4 years later...

I'm digging up an oldie but a goodie. I just saw Harold and Maude for the first time today on the recommendation of my fantastic Fintan and my beautiful Shannon and absolutely loved it. I don't know how I managed not to see it all these years. Gloriously demented and sweet. Four thumbs up.

Edited by Guest
To give the spectacular Seeker credit for also inspiring me to see this glorious movie.

I'm digging up an oldie but a goodie. I just saw Harold and Maude for the first time today on the recommendation of my beautiful Shannon and absolutely loved it. I don't know how I managed not to see it all these years. Gloriously demented and sweet. Four thumbs up.

:puppyeyes: :puppyeyes: At least two years ago we made a deal... you had to watch Harold and Maude, I had to watch Wayne's World