The First MTV

MuzikTyme

I don't remember the very first one...it was probably an REO Speedwagon or Journey live clip. But I used to get a kick out of the funny ones, like "Nightboat to Cairo" or just about anyone by Madness. I also remember "Guilty" by the Classix Nouveaux; the singer was this tall, skinny, freakish, bald-headed dude with white facepaint and dark red lipstick...well, it was freakish back then; now it's commonplace. The Shoes sucked, too. In fact, most of the music sucked back then but the videos were hilarious. Now the music sucks and the videos suck even worse.

I think my favorite videos of all time were:

"Love Stinks" - J. Geils Band

"Can't Happen Here" - Rainbow

"Fish Heads" - Barnes and Barnes

"State of Confusion" - The Kinks

Anything by Madness

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Among my early MTV favs:

Men at Work- Who Can It be Now

A Flock of Seagulls- I Ran

Talk Talk- Talk Talk

Duran Duran- Hungry Like the Wolf

Golden Earring- Twilight Zone

Modern English- Stop the World and Melt with You

The Clash- Rock The Casbah

Joan Jett- I Love Rock-n-Roll

Peter Gabriel- Shock the Monkey

Frankie Goes to Hollywood- Relax

And...Madness- Our house

Many, many more. I miss those early videos and the style in which they were done.

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"Darken the city, night is a wire

Steam in the subway, earth is a afire

doo-doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo doo-doo

Woman, you want me, give me a sign

And catch my breathing even closer behind

doo-doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo doo-doo

In touch with the ground

I'm on the hunt, I'm after you

Smell like I sound, I'm lost in a crowd

And I'm hungry like the wolf

Straddle the line in discord and rhyme

I'm on the hunt, I'm after you

Mouth is alive with juices like wine

And I'm hungry like the wolf"

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon:

In second grade, my friend showed me the video wake-up thingy. I watched a video called "Monkey Wrench." The chorus was something like 'don't wanna be a monkey wrench'. I don't know who it was by, and I can't even remember if I liked it. I'm pretty sure I liked it though.

In second grade, my friend showed me the video wake-up thingy. I watched a video called "Monkey Wrench." The chorus was something like 'don't wanna be a monkey wrench'. I don't know who it was by, and I can't even remember if I liked it. I'm pretty sure I liked it though.

Monkey Wrench is a Foo Fighters song, and the lyrics are the same, but I don't know if it's the same one you're talking about. Do you know what year?

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"What have we done with innocence

it disappeared with time and never made much sense

adolescent resident

wasting another night on planning my revenge

one in ten, one in ten, one in ten

don't wanna be your monkey wrench

one more indecent accident

I'd rather leave then suffer this

I'll never be your monkey wrench

All this time to make amends

what do you do when all your enemies are friends

now and then I'll try to bend

under the pressure wind up snapping in the end

one in ten, one in ten, one in ten

don't wanna be your monkey wrench

one more indecent accident

I'd rather leave then suffer this

I'll never be your monkey wrench"

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I'm giving Sammy a row of 'fros for his musical interludes...

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

I just realized that I responded to this post but didn't actually answer the question. Don't you just hate it when people don't pay attention and go off on their own little tangents? ::

The first video I saw on MTV was "Video Killed The Radio Star", which was the first video ever played on the channel. I did not see it in its initial run, but I do remember that's the first one I saw.

Unfortunately, my first exposure to MTV was "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon. I must have been cutting edge, because I remember watching video shows before MTV was around ( Night Flight anyone? How about 44 RPM on WTOG in Tampa?)

I remember lots of cuts from the Stones' Tattoo You album, the Fishheads song, and "Love Plus One" by Haircut 100.

I guess mine was Peter gabriel too... it was in 1984...? I was working for the spanish TV making a clips-show... I had to view hours and hours of videos everyday to make the selection, I was getting videoclips from all parts of the world... MTV used to send us many of them... but actually I made a mess, I can´t tell which channel or entreprise did what videos... I used to get MTV channel in the studio but we didn´t have the rights of all of them... it was revolutionnary in these times...

I guess mine was Peter gabriel too... it was in 1984...? I was working for the spanish TV making a clips-show... I had to view hours and hours of videos everyday to make the selection, I was getting videoclips from all parts of the world... MTV used to send us many of them... but actually I made a mess, I can´t tell which channel or entreprise did what videos... I used to get MTV channel in the studio but we didn´t have the rights of all of them... it was revolutionnary in these times...

Hey Edna! I believe it was '86, cripes - I can't believe I remember that far back! :laughing: