The best horror movie makers?

Mike

In my book it's John Carpenter! with Halloween and the Thing. I first saw Halloween in 1978, it has to be seen in a dark theater on the big screen to be truly appreciated, we saw it like 3 times in the theater. I was 15.

:jack:HALLOWEEN:

?Since the movie was actually shot in spring, the crew had to buy paper leaves from a decorator and paint them in the desired autumn colors, then scatter them in the filming locations. To save money, after a scene was filmed, the leaves were collected and reused.

?Due to its shoestring budget, the prop department had to use the cheapest mask that they could find in the costume store: a William Shatner mask, from Devil's Rain, The (1975). They later spray-painted the face white, teased out the hair, and reshaped the eyeholes.

?Halloween was shot in 21 days in the spring of 1978. Made on a budget of $300,000, it became the highest-grossing independent movie ever made at that time.

?All of the actors wore their own clothes, since there was no money for a costume department. Jamie Lee Curtis went to J.C. Penney for Laurie Strode's wardrobe. She spent less than a hundred dollars for the entire set.

?Half of the $300,000 budget was spent on the Panavison cameras so the film would have a 2:35:1 scope.

?IT MADE $47 MILLION IN U.S.A. ALONE

The music is esquisit! What Carpenter does with music alone is masterful art! :thumbsup:

Wes Craven and Stephen King are masters, also!

I have to disagree with Stephen King making good horror movies! I cannot think of one of his horror novels that has been made into a good screen adaptation! IT scared the pants off of me until they revealed Pennywise as a monster spider that even at 8 I wasn't scared of...The thing about Stephen King is he's an amazing storyteller because you use your own mind to scare yourself and he builds the atmosphere with his words. No matter how good the budget is for his movies, they always end up looking disappointingly 'cheap'.

:(

Stephen King doesn't direct films. Other people direct his ideas.

Horror directors? Where should I start? These guys directed horror, slasher, and thriller films back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s at a time when they were at their peak:

Dario Argento

Lucio Fulci

Mario and Lamberto Bava

Umberto Lenzi

Massimo Dallamano

Joe D'Amato

Ruggero Deodato

George Romero

Brian DePalma