100 Scariest Movie Moments

MuzikTyme

I watched this countdown over the course of three nights on the Bravo channel. It was to my liking because horror is.

The number one scary moment, according to the show, was the opening scene in Jaws.

I can see why because it was totally believable and that, IMO, is scarier then say...Freddy or Jason.

Number two was the scene in Alien where it jumps out of the stomach and number three was the scene in The Exorcist where Regan spins her head around.

The other 97 scary moments were very good and quite a few that I've never seen. Like I said, it took three nights to show them all and each one had reviews by directors/actors.

Anyway, did anyone else watch this and/or what are your top three scary moments in horror movie history?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I saw that too. Missed some of it but I saw a few things I had never seen before as you mentioned. I for one would have put the Exorcist scene at # 1. I went to see that with my wife who was still girlfriend at the time and that was the scene when she said "let's go now!". I didn't fight her on that and it gave me the willys for a long time afterwords. Jaws opening was scary but the scene when the head floats out of the sunken boat was a real shocker.

I agree that the Exorcist should have been number one. For me, it was.

I didn't agree with the overall order of scary to scarier.

One example was Hellraiser, which I thought was shocking but then, after Hellraiser, The Haunting which, IMO, was no where near as shocking.

Overall it was a good show I thought, lots-n-lots of scary moments!

I don't remember seeing either one mentioned.

Ghost Story was an example of when the movie is better than the book. Straub can be frightfully boring.

And yes, the dancer's last performance on the silver screen.

How 'bout that movie Freaks? Just like Rob Zombie said:

The best part of Freaks is that they are...real.

Had that black dude with just a head and a nub of a torso crawling around with a knife in his mouth, after his victim. I mean, what's he gonna do with the knife? :P

The scariest, for me (and I have really seen few of all the horror films) was the scene where Jack sees(dreams) of the babe in the bath tub and then -wham! - she's an old freaky looking lady. aahhhh!!! Bone chilling, no matter how many times you see it! The Shining! A classic thriller!!

There's one scene in the first Nightmare on Elm Street...A dead girl inside a body bag, sctetching at it, moaning the other girls name. YIKES! I literally got up and started heading up the aisle, saying "no, no,no..."

But the scariest of all time, still, to this day, is the woman standing in the middle of the snow covered road when the headlights hit her in "Ghost Story" DOUBLE YIKES!

The ring scared me. The first Nightmare on Elm St scared me(Elm St is a block over). The first Halloween scared me. all the firsts scard me, after that it was(excuse the term, overkill)My favorite will always be pshyco and the shower scene. Also when he/she is in the rocker and turns around. That folks was scary.

I watched this countdown over the course of three nights on the Bravo channel. It was to my liking because horror is.

The number one scary moment, according to the show, was the opening scene in Jaws.

I can see why because it was totally believable and that, IMO, is scarier then say...Freddy or Jason.

Number two was the scene in Alien where it jumps out of the stomach and number three was the scene in The Exorcist where Regan spins her head around.

The other 97 scary moments were very good and quite a few that I've never seen. Like I said, it took three nights to show them all and each one had reviews by directors/actors.

Anyway, did anyone else watch this and/or what are your top three scary moments in horror movie history?

Damn Muzik, I'm sorry I missed that show. I'm gonna try Comcast's "On Demand" to see if I can re-run it. BTW, I think I'd have to agree with their top 3. Did the scene from "Orca" where Orca eats Bo Derek's leg make the list. Not so scary, but downright yummy.

Ok, ok...'scuse meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Muzik, I just knew you'd watch that! I watched it, too, and I agreed with most of it. I did not, however, see a clip from "The Believers". It was about voodoo and starred Martin Sheen. The scariest part of it was when this voodoo guy put a curse on this woman's make up compact. She developed a rash on her face that started out looking like a plain old pimple and got bigger and bigger until it was this throbbing mass on the side of her face. Finally it exploded and a big hairy ass spider crawled out of it. That movie was made back in the 80s, but every time I get a zit, I think a spider is gonna crawl out of it. Yikes.

I have just freaked myself out. ::

Yesterday night I was tired and sleepy, I put the TV on and there it was, "The Exorcist"... I turned it off five minutes later, I didn´t remember it was so... disgusting. I like "The Omen" or "Christine" or Larry King´s books on a movie... but not that film. I prefer the MAD version!!!!

Muzik, I just knew you'd watch that! I watched it, too, and I agreed with most of it. I did not, however, see a clip from "The Believers". It was about voodoo and starred Martin Sheen. The scariest part of it was when this voodoo guy put a curse on this woman's make up compact. She developed a rash on her face that started out looking like a plain old pimple and got bigger and bigger until it was this throbbing mass on the side of her face. Finally it exploded and a big hairy ass spider crawled out of it. That movie was made back in the 80s, but every time I get a zit, I think a spider is gonna crawl out of it. Yikes.

I have just freaked myself out. ::

Me too! ::

How about the floating boy at the window and the sheeted raising corpse in Salem's Lot? I was really creeped out by those.

This one ranks in the top three for me. There's also the overall feeling films like The Changeling, The Sixth Sense, and The Others give one that makes them effective horror-suspense films.

There's one scene in the first Nightmare on Elm Street...A dead girl inside a body bag, sctetching at it, moaning the other girls name. YIKES! I literally got up and started heading up the aisle, saying "no, no,no..."
I could have sworn you said that here before.

For me, it was probably the part in Salem's Lot golden ann was talkking about, where the little boy was at the window. My room didn't have curtains, and after that, I stapled toweles to the window frames so I could sleep at night.

there were a few pretty freaky moments in the devil's advocate, like when charlize theron is in the changing room with keanu's friend's wife and all these strange shapes start rippling across her breasts and her face becomes frighteningly distorted. yuck!

all the classics are great, exorcist, shining, omen...

the ring did freak me out, mainly because a) the view outside one window of my summer house is very very similar to the lighthouse view ith a mirror on the wall opposite the window and B) my brother crept up on me in the middle and frightened me so much that i cried hysterically for half an hour and we had to stop the movie.

my friend stayed over after watching it cos she didn't want to go home to an empty house. she didn't realise i had a tv in my bedroom and the aerial was plugged out so only static would come up. so i waited half an hour while we were falling asleep and then switched it on! cruel i know but i had to share the fear!