The Difference Between Us

windy1

Technology is a wonderful thing and it's so nice to see the prices of technology constantly coming down after its initial release, but they sure don't' have the manufactured quality from 25 - 30 years ago. My parents had a stereo from the 1970's and it still works. You go and buy a stereo now and you'll be lucky to get 10 years out of it without bringing it in for repair. Of course when you bring it in for repair they'll quote you $300 for a unit you paid $350 for so that you'll just go and buy another one. Technology today is too disposable.

Beta is still used in the video production industry since it's much higher quality than VHS.

The image band is wider on Beta tapes while the sound is a little better on VHS. The rest is a commercial struggle between Sony (VHS) and Philips (Beta)... I worked in the music and tv video production many years ago, maybe I´m confusing terms, but that´s how I remember it.

I like the feel of old technology better too. I prefer to listen to vinyl rather than CDs and mp3s. I like to use the 4-track recorder instead of a digital recorder. I feel more accomplished when I do something with old technology instead of using newfangled easy-as-pie equipment that anybody could use. I have always thought I was born 30 years too late.