What happened to the meaning of music?

Addictedtoclassic

Yeah, youve been away a while Audioslave , good to see you back. You will notice that we now have dancing bananas!

:happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana:

You guys got it right earlier. It's a music industry. That means it's a business. Back in the day, this was a flegling industry, they had no idea the money that could be made. Sure these groups are going to make money off of cd sales and concert tickets. It's a big bad world out there, get used to it. But when you see a concert live(like I saw the Stones on the Bridges To Babylon tour) you can still see the thrill they get and enjoyment out of playing for the crowd. I don't think it takes the meaning out of the songs.

I like Bob Dylan. So he did a Victorias Secret ad. He probably got a lot of money. So what? Maybe he needed it.

It doesn't take the meaning out of his songs, and a lot are relevent today.

You are talking about real bands though Windy. If Christina Aguilera made more songs like Beautiful, I bet that everyone on these boards (other than a certain few) would like her more, and I bet that she prefers that song to any of her other ones. But it does not appeal as much to the majority of her fan base, who like things where she dresses like a whore and has people grabbing her all over. Little girls.

Another example, Is the boybands. I saw that weird one from the Backstreet Boys wearing a Black Sabbath t-shirt. O.K. If he has the voice to be a multi-millionaire, playing that kind of crap, why doesnt he find some people who can play guitar, drums, bass and keyboard, and play stuff like that? The answer, is that most people these days do not like Black Sabbath. Money $ Money $ Money $. Unless he's a poser, which is probably the case. Then my point is ruined.

Aahh now I've got it. You're talking about the children that play at music. The boybands, the brittanys, the avrils, and on and on. I think the differnce (this may have been stated above)is that these children are not playing rock music. They are playing at doing pop. And all these newbies have to be the total package to make more money. Hillary Duff (it's not enough to de a Disney star)has an album. Those ugly anorexic twins are releasing an album. Paris Hilton is releasing an album and doing a movie for cripes sake. Now that is for the money...like she needs it.

I feel the sentiment of lost culture has been with every generation since time began. I remember my father telling me the Beatles were just a bunch of noise. HIS father probably said the same about Woody Guthrie. I am sure more than a few parents have reviled U2. The messages we need to assimilate in order to fulfill our role will always be available to us. Sometimes they are whispers and other times, shouts.

Agree 100%. And what about the industry now? Money makes it go round, and the crisis in the record industry will have a big influence on future tastes... Dowloading music from internet, burning cds, etc, makes you feel the music like something easier to get than in the 60s or 70s...

Well, on a second thought... it was my father who introduced me into Beatlemania...! He was a show-biz journalist and we had promo records at home... he gave me their first promo EP ("Twist and shout", "taste of honey" "do you want to know a secret"...?) when I was 6, in 62 or 63... the he took me to the première of "hard day´s night", and brought me my american copy of "Magical Mystery Tour"... he even got me plenty of free tickets to go with all my friends to see "Monterey Pop" and "Woodstock" at the cinema...it´s not that he liked that kind of music, but he was aware of how things were going and that generations go like that... he was great!