Drum Songs

Jazzcat

What songs have drum features or solos that stand out to you? I guess some obvious ones are Wipeout by the Surfaris and Let There Be Drums by Sandy Nelson. One of my favorite drum breaks is in Jack & Diane by John/Johnny Cougar Mellencamp. The drummer was Kenny Aranoff. :drummer:

Well, since you mentioned Sandy Nelson's Let There Be Drums we can't ignore his Teen Beat or Cozy Cole's Topsy, Part II(one of my all-time favorites).

These are drum leads as opposed to solos but I think you'd like them.

Also, Dino Danelli did some terrific solos on various Rascals's songs. He's one of rock's most underrated drummers IMO.

And never forget Ginger Baker's work with Cream, etc.

Aynsley Dunbar has great drum solos... Bill Brufford too... wait till I´m myself again, with all my archives and turntable and cd and all the stuff... I´ll be of much more help! :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer:

Edna, my dear, I always thought Ansley Dunbar's snare drum sounded sort of mushy. I like a snare with some pop, zing, and just a touch of ping, if that makes any sense.

Some live thing Genesis did called "Drum Duel" or something like that. Hocus Pocus by Focus has some really cool drum parts. Pierre van der Linden was really an exceptional drummer, haven't heard any of his jazz stuff though. I really like the drum beat to "Ticket To Ride", but then again, who doesn't.

Yes, I was wondering if there were any of us "grey-hairs" around who would mention Topsy. I completely agree with you on Dino. He was way overlooked. Here's another drum feature tune for you folks. Paul Simon's 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover. The drummer was the inimatable Steve Gadd who played on hundreds of tracks for various artists including Carly Simon, Steely Dan, and Chick Corea to name a few.