John Peel 1939-2004

XXX

Here are a few of the tributes being paid to John.......

Peter Hook, New Order

"Peel was the first person to put us on the radio. It was a long time before we actually met him. We were nervous - we had to have a couple of drinks. He was nervous about meeting us - which flabbergasted us.

"He was immune to [music] fashion. That's why people loved him - he took chances, and people these days very rarely take chances."

Orbital

Paul Hartnoll, Orbital

"Before I was in a band John Peel gave me so much music. He introduced me to Blue Monday by New Order - without hearing that bass drum riff, who knows...

"Young people can be so narrow-minded in their determination to be right, but Peel showed us not to be so closed-minded. He is irreplaceable, not least because Radio 1 wouldn't give someone like Peel a job now."

Tony Blair

Tony Blair

"John Peel was a genuine one-off, whether on Radio 1 or Radio 4.

"He was a unique voice in British broadcasting and used that voice to unearth new talent and different subjects and make them accessible to a much wider audience."

Damon Albarn

Damon Albarn, Blur

"John Peel's patronage was for me, like countless other musicians, one of the most significant things that happened to us in our careers.

"The world is going to be a poorer place with his sudden departure."

Noel Gallagher

Noel Gallagher, Oasis

"John Peel was a rare breed amongst radio DJs.

"His contribution to introducing new music to music fans in this country has been phenomenal and he will be sadly missed."

Elvis Costello

Elvis Costello

"Peel was the contradiction of every bad thing you could say about radio.

"He had an open mind about music, whether he was bringing the listener the Incredible String Band or the Fall, Mike Hart or Echo and the Bunnymen, and countless bands that appeared only to be heard on his great shows."

Jarvis Cocker

Jarvis Cocker, Pulp

"Peel stuck up for the 'sore thumbs' of the music scene.

"It would be absolutely impossible to write a history of the last 40 years of the British music scene without mentioning John Peel's name.

"He was one of those few people about whom you could truly say that the world would have been a much different place without him.''

I, like many of my generation grew up on John Peel. He had a licence to play anything he wanted on national radio, and introduced me to loads of bands before they became 'mainstream'. Top man. Top broadcaster. Top 'dry' sense of humour.

Did you know that he was on the grassy knoll when JFK was shot?

Regards