Which is the best "One Hit Wonder" of all time?

Steel2Velvet

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tobacco Road by The Nashville Teens

I checked and you are right. Seems they were British, and their only US hit was Tobacco Road, which had many covers. They also had minor hits in England... that´s why I remember them... in Argentina, music was coming from anywhere. For instance, my original "Hooked on a feeling" was by Jonathan King, a hit in the UK but not in US.

And, Bluesboy, believe it or not, about a half-hour after your "Conquistador" post on Sunday, I went out to the car and the first song that played on the radio was....you guessed it..."Conquistador". Now, that was weird, man...weeeeeeird! It was the first time I heard it a good two or three years. Yeah, it threw me a little, because I always associated that tune with Cream (it sounds a helluva lot like the Cream). I forgot it was Procol Harum.

Anyway, continue to rock on, eb'rybody!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon:

Sammy,

You've entered the Twilight Zone... :jester:

make sure and use the handrail for support :o

_ _ _ _

another Procol Harum cut I remember on the radio is

Simple Sister off the Broken Barricades album ('71)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone mentioned this one, but it's one of my favorite one-hitters of all time...

"Driver's Seat" by Sniff N' The Tears

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

"I'm doing alright

A little jiving on a Saturday night

And come what may

Gonna dance the day away

Jenny was sweet

She always smiled for the people she'd meet

I'm trouble and strife

She had another wayward look in her eyes

News is blue (the news is blue)

Had its own way to get to you (ooh-ooh)

What can I do (what can I do...)

I never remember my time with you

Driver's seat, ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh

Driver's seat, yeah

Pick up your feet

Got to move to the trick of the beat

There is no lead

Just take your place in the driver's seat

Driver's seat, ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh

Driver's seat, yeah"

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I guess Mr. Miami is sooooooo right.... "Driver´s seat"... I have musician friends who play this song and always make the same comment: "They have no other hits, don´t they?"

I wonder how nobody (me inc.) mentioned this before... it´s a great song...

I wonder if Al Stewart had another hit besides "The year of the cat"... I know he made many records, but I never heard his songs on the radio.

Al Stewart also had a hit with "Time Passages" and I think he had one more, but the names escapes me at present.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :thumbsup:

Five altogether. On The Border #42, Song On The Radio #29 + the two top 10s* already mentioned, all produced by Alan Parsons in the late 70s, and Midnight Rocks #24 1980. I'm just quoting from one of my books. The only two we really knew in Australia were Year Of The Cat* and Time Passages*.

Ok here's another one (I love good one-hit wonders)...anyone remember No One is to Blame by Howard Jones? I was 6 when that came out, and I still remember my mom playing that in the car....

That was his biggest hit, but he did have quite a few others. Cheers!

I'm afraid to say that the number one hit wonder was "My Macarena" by Los Del Rio

Los del Rio have many records in Spain. Besides, the arrangements of that song were made by a couple of musicians (Fangoria) (and good friends of mine from the early years...) but seems Los del Rio never credited them... tsss :doh: