Which is the best "One Hit Wonder" of all time?

Steel2Velvet

I don't think that BW Stevenson had any other hits beside hs monster "My Maria."

The Sanford Townsend Band never had another hit after "Smoke From A Distant Fire" even with a band name as easy to remember as theirs (???)

An interesting story on the one hit of Morris Albert that I just found out today. He was a Brazilian living in the USA and "borrowed" a fifty year old Brazilian copywrited melody into which he injected his lyrics titled "Feelings." He was prosecuted and for a brief time imprisoned in Brazil for his breach of propriety. This pretty much ended his career as a musician, though he made millions from "his" song.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Indiana wants me" , R. Dean Taylor. I don´t know any other song by him...

What about "Gotta See Jane". Excellent song with great sound effects. Both songs were hits in the UK if my memory serves me well so that rules out old R. Dean as a one hit wonder.

Thanks for the heads-up Edl. I apparently got bum info from a guy I met in the service who claimed to have been in boot camp with the drummer from Marmalade. But, now that you mention it, I HAD heard they were a UK band, but it did not register. They just never had another hit in the U.S.

On a similar note I once met a fisherman in the far north of Australia who went under the name of Michael Clarke and claimed he was the original drummer with The Byrds. When I mentioned this on a newsgroup I was bombarded with messages telling me that The Byrds' Michael Clarke died some years ago :( Or did he just dodge the draft and quietly slip away to Australia?

There you´re right, BB... I forgot about Donna. I didn´t know the other was Valen´s. Thanks for telling me, sometimes I think I know very little about music... I still don´t have the computer at home, with records, files and books, etc. Hope I´ll be better when I do. :thumbsup:

I think there are a few hits missing from the list - correct me if I am wrong about these one-hit wonders:

Alannah Myles - Black Velvet

The Commodores - Brick House

Corey Hart - Sunglasses At Night

Cutting Crew - Died In Your Arms Tonight

Escape Club - Wild Wild West

Flock of Seagulls - I Ran

Go West - King Of Wishful Thinking

The Fixx - One Thing Leads To Another

Outfield - Your Love

I have more - I'll leave these for now.... :happybanana:

I've since realized that as far as one-hit wonders go, we're mainly talking about U.S. charts. I say this thinking that Pinkfloyd's earlier suggestion of Red Rider (Lunatic Fringe) wouldn't hold true in Canada, as they had a couple of other hits as well. PF, I'd recommend the album "Neruda" for you , if you liked that tune/style. :coolio:

A couple of others then:

Spandau Ballet - "True"

Bronski Beat - "Small Town Boy"

Thompson Twins - "Hold Me Now"

:headphones:

I've since realized that as far as one-hit wonders go, we're mainly talking about U.S. charts. I say this thinking that Pinkfloyd's earlier suggestion of Red Rider (Lunatic Fringe) wouldn't hold true in Canada, as they had a couple of other hits as well. PF, I'd recommend the album "Neruda" for you , if you liked that tune/style. :coolio:

A couple of others then:

Spandau Ballet - "True"

Bronski Beat - "Small Town Boy"

Thompson Twins - "Hold Me Now"

:headphones:

You´re more than right. In Europe, for instance, Spandau ballet (what an ugly name!) had several hits.

I think you're right that it was by Lobo. But Lobo had another hit with "Chevy Van."

"Chevy Van" was by Sammy Johns

"I'd Love You To Want Me" was by Lobo

"Me and You and a Dog Named Boo" was also by Lobo

Howard Jones had a few hits in the 80's, like "Things Can Only Get Better", "New Song, "What Is Love", and "I'd Like to Get To Know You Well"....but nothing truly impressive. :laughing:

And Derek and the Dominoes had "Bellbottom Blues"

And, Bluesboy, believe it or not, about a half-hour after your "Conquistador" post on Sunday, I went out to the car and the first song that played on the radio was....you guessed it..."Conquistador". Now, that was weird, man...weeeeeeird! It was the first time I heard it a good two or three years. Yeah, it threw me a little, because I always associated that tune with Cream (it sounds a helluva lot like the Cream). I forgot it was Procol Harum.

Anyway, continue to rock on, eb'rybody!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: