Eye Of The Tiger

Carl

We have an interview scheduled with Jim Peterik, who wrote this song and several other hits for Survivor, .38 Special and The Ides Of March. "Eye Of The Tiger" is a fascinating song, and I'm trying to hash out some thoughts on how the song changed movies and pop culture. Here are some ideas, please let me know what you think:

I don't think there was a video for the song. MTV was in it's infancy and wasn't a big deal in 1982. A few years later, movies like Flashdance and Footloose seemed to have MTV in mind, with videos that were essentially trailers for the movies.

Many movie themes were big hits before this one (Mahogony, Mrs. Robinson), but was this the first pop song to do the trick?

Is this the biggest hit from a movie sequel?

In sports movies, they usually write dramatic scores for the action scenes or use music that already exists and connects with the audience. Did any other movies use an original song for an action scene?

I don't think the first 2 Rocky movies used original songs. When Rocky 3 came out, it seemed to have a lot more mass appeal. The next movie contained 2 hit songs - Survivor's "Burning Heart" and James Brown's "Living In America."

Thanks,

Carl

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You wouldnt believe how many times I have drummed and Air-guitared to the Eye of The Tiger intro

And How many times I have gone hoarse over it

My mom has the album on record...it isnt that good, but Eye of The Tiger rules.

I believe it was in the movie-BIG FAT LIAR :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana:

I don't think there was a video for the song. MTV was in it's infancy and wasn't a big deal in 1982.

I remember seeing a music video for this song, the lead singer is wearing a beret & he was standing out in an alley with the rest of the band. I don't recall any movie clips, but they may have been there. It was also featured on a VH1 countdown for the greatest songs / videos of the 1980's.

Carl,

When you interview Jim Peterik,

Can you ask him about the songwriting process, how easy or hard it was to write

Vehicle for the Ides of March?

How did he go about putting it on paper,

you know,

melody then lyrics or the other way around, etc?

Maybe, who his musical idols were.

They sounded so much like the group Chicago

on that song.

thanks

I know Jim Peterik wrote "Heavy Metal" with Sammy Hagar.

"Heavy Metal "Film info.

Songfacts.com "Heavy Metal" - Sammy Hagar

Also he worked with Don Barnes, Kevin Cronin, Kelly Keagy, Dennis DeYoung and Johnny VanZant. I would love to know what other artist he's collaborated with! Hold on loosely is one of my favorite .38 Special songs, I never knew he co-wrote that either.

Sounds awesome Carl!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we'll get some interesting stories from Mr. Peterik. I'll be sure to ask about the video, as well as this.

Blues, I love "Vehicle," especially the horns. I'll be sure to ask about that song and hopefully get some .38 Special Songfacts as well.

:rockon:

Carl,

When you interview Jim Peterik,

Can you ask him about the songwriting process, how easy or hard it was to write

Vehicle for the Ides of March?

How did he go about putting it on paper,

you know,

melody then lyrics or the other way around, etc?

Maybe, who his musical idols were.

They sounded so much like the group Chicago

on that song.

thanks

I always thought it sounded more like a heavier Blood Sweat and Tears. I spent my childhood thinking that's who it was. Definately a candidate for best one hit wonder.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we'll get some interesting stories from Mr. Peterik. I'll be sure to ask about the video, as well as this.

Blues, I love "Vehicle," especially the horns. I'll be sure to ask about that song and hopefully get some .38 Special Songfacts as well.

:rockon:

I also love "Vehicle". I know that it was used in the Film "Lock Up" (with Sly Stallone), it played while they were restoring the Mustang in the prison shop. It was also use in fairly recent car commercial (I think Chevy).

This was a real good interview. Jim explained how Sylvester Stallone called him and left a message on his machine. That's the downside to being Sylvester Stallone - no one believes it's you.

The first 2 Rocky movies used that great theme song ("Trying hard now...), but they wanted to change things up for Rocky 3. It was very ambitions but they got just what they were looking for.

We also talked about other Survivor songs, "Vehicle" by The Ides Of March, and some .38 Special songs. I'm looking forward to turning these into Songfacts.