Forming your own opinions

Earth-Angel

I know that coming on to these boards, I knew very little or nothing about alot of the "older" bands that were so heavily discussed, and what I had heard of them, I hadn't liked enough to listen to and support. But with reading all the posts and opinions about them, decided there was no harm in downloading a few or borrowing albums from friends and listening to them.

Yes, it felt a little odd that I had heard of these great bands but had never bothered to really research them and hear what they had to offer - which was obviously alot. :doh:

I never grew up with Pink Floyd, the Stones, Led Zepplin etc. as my mum didn't listen to them, so from that point I wasn't exposed to them much. But I have found that there are some songs I like and some I don't, and I can see why the other members are so passionate in their opinions about them.

My question is:

When it comes to musical tastes, are you willing to sway your opinion on a song or band because of someone else's opinion? If you've heard a song or artist before and you didn't like them the first time, what would it take for you to reform your opinion? I know some people feel; you either love it or you hate it, anything inbetween is saving face. Has anyone had a change of heart about a great band that they hated before?

Up until a couple years ago or so, I didn't know much about the older bands either except from what my parents would play but I wasn't really that interested.

Eventually though I began to hear more of it on classic rock radio and a continuous music network we get on satellite called Galaxie and the more I listened to, the more I liked and wanted to learn about, which is how I found this site. I think for me it initially began with the Beatles, I had known a couple of their songs and it just went from there.

Anyway to your questions, no I won't like something just because someone else likes it, though if I respect that person's opinion I may check it out. If I heard an artist I didn't like, I'd say, hearing a song I do like by them might make me check them out again. I am trying not to be too overly biased favorably or unfavorably to any band.

I wasn't much into R.E.M. a while back but now I enjoy their stuff. Have never really been into the Rolling Stones either though I am listening to more of their music than before.

I am not. All my friends listen to is new punk, new wannabe rock n' roll such as 3 Days Grace, Finger 11, Nickelback....All of these bands that I can't stand listening to. Some rap even. Friends of dads came over with some music and sai the best was "Gerry & the Pacemakers". IMO they sucked big time.

Peoples opinions can help me though. This is the way I got into the Doors (Catherine), Manics (Jill), Nirvana, grunge etc. (Scott, Jill), Yes (Chris/Dave/Roger/Ron.)

I can't be influenced too much by others' opinion. Maybe if it was with a group of friends, I'll listen to music which I'd otherwise dump in the rubbish bin. I listen to all kinds of music already, so it's not like I need to expand my horizons into other genres. Granted, I sometimes come off as having pedestrian tastes in certain genres and on that I am always open to suggestions from people who know better. Bluesboy, for example, I'd read his posts on Jazz and Blues music to see what to look for. He's given me a couple of compilations with a range of stuff that hits the mark of what I'd like to listen to further. He has enough knowledge of the genre to be able to lead casual listeners in the right direction :headphones:

I can't be swayed by others opinions, but I can take the time to listen to something I've never heard based on anothers opinion. I have picked up on a lot of music that I hadn't heard much of since I've been coming here. Elvish introduced me to Susan Tedeschi who I now love. I dislike musical snobs. Who can't or won't listen to something new because it's not their "style". I enjoy all types of music as long as it is played well and with heart. You have to be open to new experiences.

I'd have to say that other people's musical tastes/opinions only effect me when it spurs me to listen to something I normally wouldn't have bothered with. Either introducing me to a new song or band that I would not have sought out on my own (I know this isn't exactly what you're asking); or, more on point, making me listen to something I didn' t like at first - you know how some songs can grow on you? :)

Thank you for all of the replies! ::

Sara, I know what you mean about having a song grow on you as this has happened many times before. I also found that the environment in which you first hear a song or a band can make a big difference to their longevity in your mind. I know the first time I heard Pink Floyd, I just turned up my nose and thought "not for me thanks" because it was at a friends house and her older brother had friends round and they were all drunk so I always associated PF with that occasion. But now, I've been listening to it alot more and enjoying it quite a bit ::

XXX knows that I like alot of "off the charts" music, some of which alot of people haven't heard before, so I'm more than happy to hear something different to what everyone else is listening to.

I also found, like alot of you, that listening to someone else's suggestions (I trawl the "what song are you listening to right now" thread for ideas) can really lead to some great discoveries. ::

I agree 100% with Windy1 about musical snobs...they don't know the whole world of music they are missing out on!

Oh Edna, I see you too have caught the dancing banana fever from Amy ;)

I have to admit, that you once mentioned a Stones song (I think it was in the countdown thread) and I just had an urge to DL it and it really rocks! ::

Oh, here's my fix.... :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana:

aaaaaah yeah...feeling much better now ::

hooked on music and hooked on dancing banana's..... :help:

Someone asked an interesting question at a party last night, about which song you could quite happily listen to over and over for the rest of your life and never get sick of? I saw something similar on ebaumsworld with a guy that kept hearing that "bananaphone" song ( :happybanana: :happybanana: sorry couldn't resist!) playing over and over until he went nuts. I dunno if I could ever settle on one song to hear 24/7/365 though :googly:

Speaking from personal experience, there are quite a few different types of music/ bands that I have grown to love because of other's influences.

When you think about it, you had to hear most music with someone else, be it your parents, your friends, or what have you. So that gets you started, and you go from there. As you go in your life, you soak up different influences all day long, whether you realize it or not. For example, if I see enough Misfits tshirts or bumper stickers or whatever, one day I will listen to my first Misfits song, just to quell the curiousity, right? Same goes with all sorts of music.

When I was in middle school/ high school I had a strong hatred of Dave Matthews Band, because I didn't connect with the people that were devoted fans. When I started playing guitar in my senior year, I realized that Dave Matthews is in fact quite talented, so I can appreciate.

Classical music grew on me with every humanities class I took, and I really dig it now (I'm listening to Bach as I type out this ramble).

I've been going deeper and deeper into a love for blues ever since a girl burned a CD for me that had some Buddy Guy and Stevie Ray Vaughan on it.

To sum up, I think that yes, people are predisposed to liking or disliking certain music, but it's up to other people to show them the way to it sometimes. I personally always appreciate a helping hand because music is my passion, and I want to hear as much of it as possible.

I hope I've helped, and that I didn't ramble too much.

Someone asked an interesting question at a party last night, about which song you could quite happily listen to over and over for the rest of your life and never get sick of?

I love "Please Mr. Postman" version Beatles... I´ve had it many times on the same tape in my walkman!!! :coolio:

Usually, the way I get into other bands, which is all old stuff, is by listening to bands similar to those I like, or those that influenced the ones I like with the theory, "Well, if they liked it, it couldn't have been too bad." Which is kinda how I'm starting to like The Beatles, though I've always appreciated them. Other people's opinions can sometimes make me respect and appreciate a band, again, usually older, that I dislike for whatever reason, but rarely do I end up really liking them. Liking a band, to me, is to have that band move you or do something for you, which can't be forced on you. All right, I'll be quiet! :guitar: :guitar:

I always thought my horizons were pretty broad, but now I know better. Reading magazines and the posts on this forum have introduced me to music I would have otherwise not tried.

In general, I try to listen to everything before I make a judgment. I don't listen to country, but there are some country songs I like...same for rap. You miss out if you close your mind. Not just to music, but to any experience in life.

I used to grin and bear all the music my friends listened to in school.. then get home, paint my nails black and listen to Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins and such ::. It wasn't so much that I belied my musical taste, it was more the pressure to conform and graze with the herd. I never lied about what I liked, I just never felt the need to push it onto anyone else. Yes, when I got to high school I rebelled and didn't care and have been the same ever since. If it makes me happy...it can't be that bad! :thumbsup: It may be different to some and even strange, but I like it :headphones:

Here's my general opinion on the influence of people around you:

The older you get the less you care about the opinion of the people around you and the more you are likely to experiment with other types of music. You no longer feel the need to conform to the musical tastes of people your age and feel you can finally decide what is tasteful and what is just bland. I get a lot of funny stares when I tell people that I love classic rock. The comment they always give me is "you're too young to like that kind of music". My response is "maybe you're just too old to appreciate it". :neener:

I'm also very interested in the "bad girls go everywhere" comment... :shades:

I never lied about what I liked, I just never felt the need to push it onto anyone else. :headphones:

I'm terrible. I lie about what I like in order to infiltrate a group and push my taste in music as a dealer would push smack and junk on unsuspecting kids :beatnik:

I'll never say I like a band I hate just to get along with people, or vice versa, but if I only like a band a little, just to make people happy, I refer to them as "awesome!"

I used to just listen to new stuff, until about a 2 years ago when I found out about Nirvana. After that came the natural transition from todays rock to Nirvana to classic rock, AC/DC. Then my dad played All Along The Watchtower by Hendrix on the radio, and I started to really like hard rock. By the time I got "How The West Was Won" by Led Zeppelin, I was a true classic rock fan. Most people like classic rock to some degree at my school, most people at least like AC/DC.

:happybanana:

:happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana:

:happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana:

:happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana:

:happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana: